(Topic ID: 286379)

Retirement! Hacks, tips and insights to get there faster.

By DadofTwins

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 971 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Zambonilli
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“At what age do you plan on retiring?”

• 45-55 96 votes
    30%
  • 56-65 169 votes
    53%
  • 65 and over..... 53 votes
    17%

(318 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 4.22.38?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
4450 weeks1 (resized).png
beach house (resized).JPG
house (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20230709-192240_Chrome (resized).jpg
20230627_184053 (resized).jpg
4466FF27-043B-4F7E-9819-F7994C92EF67 (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 8.32.29 AM (resized).png
IfYouCan.pdf (PDF preview)
B1B366D2-0D07-4A7B-A657-40B5715C2713 (resized).jpeg
giphy.gif
31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg
SPW (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 971 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 20.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Sorry to hear about your health issues. It looks like you figured out the financial side of retirement though. I wish you well.

Thank you, I appreciate that. It means a lot coming from you, I really enjoy your posts and opinions here on Pinside. No sarcasm, that's sincere.

If I could do it all over again I would have bought less house and more investment/rental property...and more pinball machines when they were cheap! Owning pinball machines in the mid-2000s changed my life for the better, I'd rather have had them than retired early.

And I wouldn't have taken that stupid 401k loan.

#302 3 years ago

This thread is awesome. Nice thing is on most of the topics outside of certain health issues you can course correct like on spending, 401k, etc. Never too late.

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

SS is taxable but if you rely on it alone you will pay little tax. It's when you add other income like a 401k things can get worse.
I bought a resort property years ago and rented it out to pay for it. When I retired I moved to the beach property.
The one surprise for me is how little income I need in retirement as I owe nothing for housing or cars. So just because you might need $120k household income now you won't need anything near that in retirement- if you can stand not having that new car.

Where in Corolla are you? I've been considering buying a rental house in Duck.

#304 3 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I'm in the Currituck Club, north of Duck. I rented for 10 years and now here full time. All rentals are pretty much full. The market has been crazy the last year or so. My house is open for all pinsiders so PM me if in the area.

#305 3 years ago

Buy one! We currently own a beach house in Southern Shores, just south of Duck. It’s a great area and the town of Duck is so nice. Inventory of homes is low because people have been buying them with the low interest rates.

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm in the Currituck Club, north of Duck. I rented for 10 years and now here full time. All rentals are pretty much full. The market has been crazy the last year or so. My house is open for all pinsiders so PM me if in the area.

Thanks, that's a very generous offer. We've stayed in Currituck Club a few times, it's very nice. Like the location and being close to the Harris Teeter, Duck Donuts, and Urban Kitchen!

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Buy one! We currently own a beach house in Southern Shores, just south of Duck. It’s a great area and the town of Duck is so nice. Inventory of homes is low because people have been buying them with the low interest rates.

Yeah I've been watching the inventory closely. We've stayed in Southern Shores a couple of times, it's very nice, also like crossing the bridge and being close to home on a Saturday and not needing to be in bumper to bumper traffic for 1-2 hours heading north. Who do you use as your rental agent?

#308 3 years ago

I've always rembered a simple rhyme that I heard at a retirement seminar at the beginning of my career. "ownership pays more than loanership". This was specifically talking about long term market investment.

#309 3 years ago

Someone said you should make sure you have hobbies to keep your time occupied. Like they said you should have 2 or 3 hobbies on steroids.

I’ve seen my parents and others who have retired who’s day consists of getting up eating 2-3 meals and sitting on the couch for 10 hours. It’s a little depressing, my parents never had any hobbies or occupations outside of work and the kids. Once both were no longer around they never did much. My dad doesn’t even watch any sports. They’re not on the internet or reading books.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Someone said you should make sure you have hobbies to keep your time occupied. Like they said you should have 2 or 3 hobbies on steroids.
I’ve seen my parents and others who have retired who’s day consists of getting up eating 2-3 meals and sitting on the couch for 10 hours. It’s a little depressing, my parents never had any hobbies or occupations outside of work and the kids. Once both were no longer around they never did much. My dad doesn’t even watch any sports. They’re not on the internet or reading books.

Mine are doing that now. They are ill with terminal conditions, and it's kind of disherting to just watch them do that and watch TV.

#311 3 years ago

I am so much more busy then when I was "working". So are those around me that have also retired. Must be a lifestyle from being a child right on up. I was always on the go.

( I will say, I was always hyperactive and even though I/we caused our parents to go crazy..we don't sit around) and usually workaholics as we came to age.

I always embraced that condition as positive.

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Inflation and rising interest rates are likely. You can only print so much $,

I hope like hell it does, I have no debt AND my investments may take a nice hike!!

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I hope like hell it does, I have no debt AND my investments may take a nice hike!!

With hyperinflation and rising interest rates, most investments will tank. Unless you have a rare, single investment. Of course most financial advisors say you should not have only a single investment. Unless it is in cash or a government secured deposit.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Unless it is in cash or a government secured deposit.

Cash is trash, hyperinflation will make cash worthless.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

With hyperinflation and rising interest rates, most investments will tank.

What makes anyone think we will have hyperinflation? Inflation has been and forecast to be very modest.

#316 3 years ago

I think because the government is so far in debt. When that debt comes due, for now we pay it off by just issuing more debt. Other countries and our US citizens are inclined, at this present time in history, to continue buying that new debt. But at some point, people are going to question the validity of US bonds as an investment.

Once there's nobody buying the new debt, the US govt. will have to find another way to pay back the bonds coming due. The feds way to solve that problem is to print more money. They're the only ones that get to do that. Once the US is about to default on a loan, they'll print more money, devaluing the currency, and away inflation will go.

#317 3 years ago

One of my good ROI activities this winter. 40$ worth of lumber, get good exercise, get some Vitamin D, entertain the kids.

143886042_10157428167970755_8575805171392003175_o (resized).jpg143886042_10157428167970755_8575805171392003175_o (resized).jpg
#318 3 years ago

Yeah I've been watching the inventory closely. We've stayed in Southern Shores a couple of times, it's very nice, also like crossing the bridge and being close to home on a Saturday and not needing to be in bumper to bumper traffic for 1-2 hours heading north. Who do you use as your rental agent?

Our house is listed in AirBnB. We have rented homes from Twiddy and Southern Shores Realty. Lots of options for rental companies for beach vacation. I think more and more owners are moving their listings to AirBnB.

#319 3 years ago

I posted this in the stock market thread. Figured it would also be good to drop here.

Serious question...

WHY does the market HAVE to come down/correct itself?

Prior to the onslaught of the pandemic, everything seemed to be going great. Low unemployment, stock market was making new highs, everyone was spending and so on.

The market CRASHED in March, but really that was self inflicted because of virus news and the impending closures and lock downs. It wasn't because of fundamentals and earnings reports. So we go from Dow 29k+ to 18k in no time. Then in a quick turnaround, it starts climbing right back up to all new highs in less then a year.
Also, tell me that wasn't market manipulation to the extreme?

So, now with ALL of these retail investors pouring money in thru daytrading apps, people putting more and more money in 401k/IRA retirement accounts and the general excitement around the ease and low cost of personal investing, WHY does the market have to drop?

If we get to the other side of this pandemic, everyone will look at the world thru different eyes and not take things for granted anymore. There will be more vacations, eating out and other activities people are just ready to get back to doing.

I think we have turned a corner personally. With all of this "new money" coming into the market, getting "freedom" back sometime this year and the economy opening back up, how can we not get right back on track like we were before covid?

With all the advances in technology, science and health care, we are growing by leaps and bounds. I truly think the only thing that would hold us back and cause a drop is the constant news chatter telling us that a recession is imminent, that it has to manifest itself, that we can't keep going upwards.

Yes, we can.

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

WHY does the market HAVE to come down/correct itself?.....

With all of this "new money" coming into the market,

I think you partially answered your question. It’s the ‘new’ money. Problem is that it’s all borrowed. Sure, someone may say ‘I don’t owe any debts’, but the problem is most of the world does (the government owes a lot, the company you may work for, the person thinking of buying whatever you’re selling, the company your 401k is invested in). Someday it’s going to come due, and when enough is due all at once everyone starts cashing out all at once, and all that value on paper becomes worthless when nobody is buying.

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The fact that investors ended up in the same place they started 10-years later does little to really help understand just how painful this period was for many investors. As the below graph shows large U.S. stocks were up and down like a yoyo during the decade falling by about -50% twice during this period.

Your graph isn't necessarily accurate though in terms of retirement. I ran the numbers with the returns from 00 to 08. If you retired with 1mil and took out 40k a year, you would have been just fine from 00-08 and just fine from 08-2020. If you withdrew 50k you'd be fucked. That's without SS.

If you had 2mil in retirement, you could have taken 75k out from those periods and been just fine, based on the yoy returns.

If you have 2mil you can pretty much take out 75k indefinitely btw with 6% return. - 6% rate average from 00-20.

The markets never ended in a 50 percent decline. -46% 00-02. -38% in 08. Just saying.

#322 3 years ago

If anyone had the secret to early retirement, they’d already be retired, and probably not posting here.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I ran the numbers with the returns from 00 to 08. If you retired with 1mil and took out 40k a year, you would have been just fine from 00-08 and just fine from 08-2020. If you withdrew 50k you'd be fucked.

If your withdrawals increased with inflation at 4% you'd have $406k left going from 2000-2020, drawing out $62k/year. Super screwed pretty soon. And your withdrawals really need to increase with inflation. A 4% withdrawal "rule" is dangerous without being able to adjust it. Something closer to 3-3.25%/yr is more sustainable.

Quoted from DadofTwins:

The easier way to think of this as an analogy called "Mr. Market". Investor sentiment (Mr. Market), not fundamentals, is what makes the market move up and down so much. If Mr. Market gets optimistic and greedy he'll bid prices up higher than they might otherwise be worth. If he gets pessimistic and fearful he'll bid prices lower than their might otherwise be worth. Mr. Market, btw, is you and me. You and I get fearful and greedy and act accordingly.

Quoted from bane:

If anyone had the secret to early retirement, they’d already be retired, and probably not posting here.

I retired at 42. Just read the previous few pages to unleash such secret secrets! Or visit Mrmoneymustache.com IF you really want to understand better. If not, keep on scrolling...

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I retired at 42. Just read the previous few pages to unleash such secret secrets! Or visit Mrmoneymustache.com IF you really want to understand better. If not, keep on scrolling...

I get it. Live below your means. Pay off you debt. Don’t acquire new debt. Use index funds to avoid volatility.

These are all very reasonable principles that most can’t or won’t follow. I often say that most people have the same problems with money, just different numbers of zeros in the problems. I think there are many ways to achieve the goals of early retirement, but most require structure and discipline. I don’t really want early retirement, as I enjoy my work. I do want financial independence. I will have that by following goals suited to my situation for many years now.

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

I posted this in the stock market thread. Figured it would also be good to drop here.
Serious question...
Prior to the onslaught of the pandemic, everything seemed to be going great. Low unemployment, stock market was making new highs, everyone was spending and so on.
The market CRASHED in March, but really that was self inflicted because of virus news and the impending closures and lock downs. It wasn't because of fundamentals and earnings reports. So we go from Dow 29k+ to 18k in no time. Then in a quick turnaround, it starts climbing right back up to all new highs in less then a year.
Also, tell me that wasn't market manipulation to the extreme?
So, now with ALL of these retail investors pouring money in thru daytrading apps, people putting more and more money in 401k/IRA retirement accounts and the general excitement around the ease and low cost of personal investing, WHY does the market have to drop?
If we get to the other side of this pandemic, everyone will look at the world thru different eyes and not take things for granted anymore. There will be more vacations, eating out and other activities people are just ready to get back to doing.
I think we have turned a corner personally. With all of this "new money" coming into the market, getting "freedom" back sometime this year and the economy opening back up, how can we not get right back on track like we were before covid?
With all the advances in technology, science and health care, we are growing by leaps and bounds. I truly think the only thing that would hold us back and cause a drop is the constant news chatter telling us that a recession is imminent, that it has to manifest itself, that we can't keep going upwards.
Yes, we can.

Depends on how all that is financed. Is it through leverage? Interest rates are low now, which encourages borrowing, but what happens when they go up. Stock market looks less attractive when the cost of capital rises. Lots of people haven’t experienced high interest rates.

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

The problem is that as your investments rise so do costs so it’s a false sense of growth.

In this case debt like a mortgage is great to have before the inflation. Only downside is my options with my paycheck come down to two choices. 1)mortgage payment of $2200 2) groceries that now cost $2200

#327 3 years ago

For anyone that isn't sure what early retirement is about, here's an entertaining Ted Talk from Mrmoneymustache. 1100 thumbs up, 18 thumbs down. Yeah, it's that good.

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Not true at all, not everybody that can retire early chooses to do so.

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Not true at all, not everybody that can retire early chooses to do so.

This discussion has mixed financial independence and retirement as the same.

#330 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

For anyone that isn't sure what early retirement is about, here's an entertaining Ted Talk from Mrmoneymustache. 1100 thumbs up, 18 thumbs down. Yeah, it's that good.

That’s a good presentation.

Everything he said is what I did as well.

The only issue I’d have is the 64% .. that would be unobtainable here (or in any big city) due to housing costs.

Unless you lived with your parents... that would be an option. But no way you could save that much due to rent or mortgage repayments. Unless you were on a massive salary .. which maybe he was. He said he worked in Seattle, aren’t the housing costs there astronomical?

Otherwise, a very good philosophy to live by.

rd

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

The easier way to think of this as an analogy called "Mr. Market". Investor sentiment (Mr. Market), not fundamentals, is what makes the market move up and down so much. If Mr. Market gets optimistic and greedy he'll bid prices up higher than they might otherwise be worth. If he gets pessimistic and fearful he'll bid prices lower than their might otherwise be worth. Mr. Market, btw, is you and me. You and I get fearful and greedy and act accordingly.

Mr Market! Did you read this book? I think it was the first book I read about stocks and it is indeed a good place to start. I think I remember they used the "Mr Market" idea in here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#332 3 years ago

Great forum post!

Been doing a lot of research on the subject, most topics have been covered. (As previously mentioned) Social Security only uses your best 35 years, and "working to increase your benefit" is in most cases not going to increase your benefit. The 8% gain in benefit for every year your forgo at age 62, can be looked at an 8% yearly gain in benefit. Not many investments can do that.

I've seen the break even point for taking SS benefits at either 62 or 67 shown as age 76.5. If you live past 76.5 years, you make out better. That said, you have to look at your current health, and family history when considering when to start taking SS.

The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins is a fantastic read. The stock market always goes up over time. Corrections happen, but it always goes up over time. The forward is done by MMM.

Check the book out!

SPW (resized).jpgSPW (resized).jpg
#333 3 years ago

I was talking to my wife about if we can afford to retire. Yes we can but both feel like working is easy money and or fun enough now that we both cut back to working half time.

The extra income plus letting our savings grow will afford us more enjoyment. I understand Mr Mustache is happy without luxuries, eating out, Starbucks, cleaning and lawn service, nice cars etc. but we’d actually prefer nice stuff.

Also Mr Mustache bringing in a lot of income from blogs and speaking etc. just looking it says he’s making $400k per year. Just keep in mind people like him, Dave Ramsey etc are multi millionaires. Sure listen to their advice but be aware that they are able to buy luxury cars, houses etc. if the choose to.
22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg22943002-7F86-449F-AF6F-D690739D5B98 (resized).jpeg

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

was talking to my wife about if we can afford to retire. Yes we can but both feel like working is easy money and or fun enough now that we both cut back to working half time

Rai if there is one thing to summarize all of your posts here, it is that you'll never retire, you don't want people to ever retire early, and retirement means eating canned beans and wearing dirty undies.

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Rai if there is one thing to summarize all of your posts here, it is that you'll never retire, you don't want people to ever retire early, and retirement means eating canned beans and wearing dirty undies.

Canned beans are actually very healthy for you.

#336 3 years ago

I have been working for the Gov for the last decade (40 now). In another 10yrs, I'll be eligible early retirement. Granted; they have to be offering it, but has been offered in my organization consistently. I would be able to take my pension immediately, and maintain my current health plan (at the same price) for the rest of my life! I don't know that I will pull the trigger then, but I have been saving ~30% of my income in the market in an aggressive portfolio, own 2 vacations rentals with my brother, and my wife and I live well below our means. I would like to be in a position to consider taking the early out whenever it's offered.
My biggest planning concern is bridging the gap from an early retirement to penalty free withdraws from my TSP (401k equivalent) and IRA. My pension will take care of bills and health insurance, and we do pretty good on our rentals. I just haven't figured out how to get that extra couple/few g's a month to get that traveling in... Loving the tread, glad I found it this evening

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Thanks for the thread, DadofTwins - just stumbled upon it yesterday after the Ted Talk post. After watching the video and reading a good bit of the thread it seems many here who have shared are, whether intentional or not, in one way or another on a vector aligned to the talk's basic advise of "live below your means." What wasn't in the talk and I didn't see mentioned yet in the thread was a discussion of a tax plan. Understanding your tax payouts and considering how to reduce them are a valid part of a strategy. Income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, utility taxes, rain tax (yes, we have it here), VAT and/or whatever other hands reach into your pockets. Where you live, where you shop, what you choose to buy/own and what you do all can be looked at through a lens of tax optimization.

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#338 3 years ago

I fully admit I am not as well versed in FIRE and Mrmoneymustache as others, although I did research it a bit based upon this thread. Are there correlations between income and the type of career that you have wether or not you are and adherent of these methodologies? My supposition is that high earners in white collar careers are less likely to fit into these camps, but do not have any firm basis for this.

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Mr Market! Did you read this book?

I did not, but I did read Benjamin Graham's "The Intelligent Investor" which is where Mr. Market originated. It's a bit heavier reading (and old) but quite good.

Quoted from rai:

Also Mr Mustache bringing in a lot of income from blogs and speaking etc. just looking it says he’s making $400k per year.

That's 100% true. And he still spends about $30k a year, the same as he did when he had "only" $700k saved. He posts his yearly spending (and some income info) on his blog. And that's him trying to maximize happiness, not wearing used undies. Speaking of...

Quoted from Friengineer:

USED dirty undies. You forgot that they're always used. That's why you have to retire early - so you can make it to Goodwill early Monday morning and get dibs on the used dirty undie selection.

Quoted from DBLM:

Are there correlations between income and the type of career that you have wether or not you are and adherent of these methodologies? My supposition is that high earners in white collar careers are less likely to fit into these camps, but do not have any firm basis for this.

There's a high percentage of male engineers in the FIRE community. I think that's because a) They make good money, and b) they understand the math. Although plenty of people NOT making lots of money on are the path to FIRE. There are blogs by doctors doing it, and blogs by single moms doing it. It's pretty interesting to hear their stories and see how (and why) they're doing it. Mostly so they can get to Goodwill early. You know, for the dirty undies.

#340 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Are there correlations between income and the type of career that you have wether or not you are and adherent of these methodologies? My supposition is that high earners in white collar careers are less likely to fit into these camps, but do not have any firm basis for this

Watch the mrmoneymustache video in post #327.

Same principles apply no matter one's income. He compared a $40k income with a $400k income.

It's more how you live, save and invest than how much you earn. A high earner could have nothing at retirement age if he doesn't plan.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Same principles apply no matter one's income. He compared a $40k income with a $400k income.
It's more how you live, save and invest than how much you earn. A high earner could have nothing at retirement age if he doesn't plan.

I asked a different question. My question is what is the make up of FIRE/Mrmoneymustache adherents, not if it is applicable. arcyallen provided some insight into that.

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

What wasn't in the talk and I didn't see mentioned yet in the thread was a discussion of a tax plan. Understanding your tax payouts and considering how to reduce them are a valid part of a strategy. Income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, utility taxes, rain tax (yes, we have it here), VAT and/or whatever other hands reach into your pockets. Where you live, where you shop, what you choose to buy/own and what you do all can be looked at through a lens of tax optimization.
-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

This is key, and what most people are missing this knowledge.

As an example, is there any hack on how to obtain residency in a no tax income state like FL before drawing from a 401k?

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

I asked a different question. My question is what is the make up of FIRE/Mrmoneymustache adherents, not if it is applicable. arcyallen provided some insight into that.

Well, that's not exactly what you asked originally. You asked nothing of the make up.

But I see it's what you're asking now in order to clarify.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I watched it, but one thing that wasn't mentioned was the cost of healthcare. According to my ADP retirement planner calculator thing (take it for what it's worth), my healthcare is going to run me upwards of $4k/month at retirement.

#345 3 years ago

Healthcare is huge, glad I'm in the position I am in. Without that concern, I am working to build some income to bridge the gap from RE to penalty free withdraws from tax advantaged accounts. Outside of real estate (already operating vacation rentals), or blogging (not much of a writer) what are some ways people are planning to generate income? I have a decent amount in brokerage accounts, that could be put into dividend portfolio, but I'd rather diversify from the market... Male engineer btw

#346 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Well, that's not exactly what you asked originally. You asked nothing of the make up.
But I see it's what you're asking now in order to clarify.

It was, but no need to quibble. Directly, is it 60K a year mechanics, 125K a year engineers, or 300K+ professionals that make up the bulk of this movement? As arcyallen said, I could see engineers being in that sweet spot of income and personality traits for doing this but wanted to ask the question. I get that these principles are applicable to any income level, but wanted to see where the rubber meets the road. I would think that too low of a income would not allow for the percentage of savings to allow you to reach this type of plan, and if you are making a bunch you might have other spending habits and career ambitions where this type of lifestyle would not be as attractive. Just genuinely curious with what types of people this lands with and make up the core of the movement.

#347 3 years ago

Someone posted this on Facebook the other day.

Ironically, the person who posted it does pretty much exactly what the thing says. Lol

When you actually break it down and think about it, it is pretty crazy.

rd

31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg31B3CF0D-2D58-4C40-B74C-F88E00AE2FCD (resized).jpeg
#348 3 years ago

I have a question on a topic that has always baffled me. Why would someone, in the current low rate environment, pay of their mortgage early? I understand if you are imminently retiring, and don't want the nut. However, for those 5, 10, 15 yrs out, why put extra money towards a mortgage at a sub-4% rate (if your mortgage is more than that, refi now). I have always thought that I could do better than with my money than my mortgage rate, and other than a couple down years I've killed the rate in returns. Is it the guaranteed returns, reduced burden of having a big debt, or something else I'm missing?

#349 3 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

Why would someone, in the current low rate environment, pay of their mortgage early

The quicker you pay it, the less you pay.

If you pay it off 10 years early, you save 10,000s of bucks.

Of course, the rates are so low now ... you can get 3.5% here.

When I bought my first house in 1987/88 (I was 17/18) the mortgage rate was 18.8%. Lollll. Crazy.

rd

#350 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When I bought my first house in 1987/88 (I was 17/18) the mortgage rate was 18.8%. Lollll. Crazy.
rd

Whoa. We just pulled the trigger on a refi at 2.75%.

At 18.8%, this would be me.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

There are 971 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retirement-hacks-tips-and-insights-to-get-there-faster/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.