Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by eggbert52
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

In reading through various threads, I've noticed several 'Retired Pinsider'. I realize they no longer participate, but under what circumstances? Deceased, Banned, got red aszed and quit? Just curious....

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

In reading through various threads, I've noticed several 'Retired Pinsider'. I realize they no longer participate, but under what circumstances? Deceased, Banned, got red aszed and quit? Just curious....

Mostly banned, but some ask to be deleted.

#3 10 years ago

Is there possibly a mandatory retirement age?

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

What is this Logans run?

#5 10 years ago

A bunch of guys have also bailed out of the hobby due to: age, cost, other interests, etc. I have seen a bunch of familiar names over the past 16 years leave. While the hobby today is strong, its not what it once was, biggest issue is the cost. Have fun~SpOoKy

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

While the hobby today is strong, its not what it once was, biggest issue is the cost. Have fun~Spooky

Agreed.

The cost is certainly the number one thing that prevents me from growing my collection any further.

It's also the primary thing that motivates me to call it a day and sell out; pursuing something fresh and perhaps more financially reasonable with my past-time life.

#7 10 years ago

Naw' hell, don't do that. Months later you will regret it. I've had like 27 pins, but no more then 8 at a time due to space. Hang in there, enjoy the pins you DO have, and don't get caught up in all the new pin hype. Each pin you have I'm sure brings a smile once you play them. Have fun!`SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Agreed.
    The cost is certainly the number one thing that prevents me from growing my collection any further.
    It's also the primary thing that motivates me to call it a day and sell out; pursuing something fresh and perhaps more financially reasonable with my past-time life.

This is actually the cheapest hobby I've ever been in.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Naw' hell, don't do that. Months later you will regret it. I've had like 27 pins, but no more then 8 at a time due to space. Hang in there, enjoy the pins you DO have, and don't get caught up in all the new pin hype. Each pin you have I'm sure brings a smile once you play them. Have fun!`SpOoKy

agreed 100 % fats man, hang on to that awesome line up. down the road you will run into another game at a good price or you will trade,sell,buy a game. either way,play your games and enjoy the simple pleasure of batting around the silver ball in the comfort of your own home. you are living the American dream.

#10 10 years ago

Hey, wait a sec!
    This thread is about Retired Pinsiders, ...not about retiring your pins.

#11 10 years ago

I miss BD....

#12 10 years ago

I'm actually surprised brokedad never returned to pinside. Perhaps he is here with a new handle and none of us know.

#13 10 years ago

I think BD was going through cancer treatments,I don't know the outcome of that,I miss BD too.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Exactly. If you thought the number of retired members on here was high...go to the "I just bought a boat" boards.

#15 10 years ago

there are more expensive hobbies, like hot rods.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

Exactly. If you thought the number of retired members on here was high...go to the "I just bought a boat" boards.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

there are more expensive hobbies, like hot rods.

And a hell of a lot less expensive hobbies, for sure.

I know we all love pinball with a fervor that borders on mental retardation, but let's not crazy here...in June of 2013, pinball is stupidly expensive.

#18 10 years ago

I find it very difficult to understand why any Pinsiders, when deciding to knock the old pinball hobby on the head would actively contact admin and ask them to deactivate the account. I mean there is absolutely no need for it. It's not like a gym membership that you'll keep getting charged for even though it's not being used. If you want to lock yourself out of the account because you don't have the discipline to stay away then just change the email and password to something random then log out.

I would assume most were permanant bans for some administrative reason. Does the status actually affect anything like being able to view their old posts or whatever?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

pinball is stupidly expensive.

....but retains it's value.

Anyone missing Pinball "Parasite" (Paradise)? I'm sure he's trolling around here somewhere still - "right son?"

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

pinball is stupidly expensive.

My co-worker wants me to buy his 54' boat that he keeps in Florida.

I told him, once I sold my Cessna 172 I would think about it.

Pinball is nothing next to other hobbies.

#21 10 years ago

I know of a guy who is building his own ship to fly into outer space.

The cost of pinball aint nothing at all!

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Hope not.....

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from chocky909:

I would assume most were permanant bans for some administrative reason. Does the status actually affect anything like being able to view their old posts or whatever?

No. All posts are visible. It is just a status like "Pinball Addict" only now you know no to try an PM them as nobody is listening.

#24 10 years ago

Look I hate to be the one to spill the beans, but when a Pinsider is "retired" they are turned into
    Soylent Green.....
    THEY'RE PEOPLE!! image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 10 years ago

retired, means more time for pins

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

And a hell of a lot less expensive hobbies, for sure.
    I know we all love pinball with a fervor that borders on mental retardation, but let's not crazy here...in June of 2013, pinball is stupidly expensive.

You want to try Motor Racing.

It cost me $20,000 to do one event.

Pins are cheap in comparison. And they retain their value (mostly)

A set of 4 tyres for the race car cost $3000 and they were worth $0 within a few hours.

Nuts.

rd

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Cheaper than boating by far!

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

....but retains it's value.
    Anyone missing Pinball "Parasite" (Paradise)? I'm sure he's trolling around here somewhere still - "right son?"

If i have the right one then there is a lot of information and posts on pinballinfo from and regarding them.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Look I hate to be the one to spill the beans, but when a Pinsider is "retired" they are turned intoSoylent Green.....THEY'RE PEOPLE!!

Nice

#30 10 years ago

Yes, pinball these days is expensive. Yes, I wish I had gotten in a long time ago because I apparently came along when all the other newbies did and the prices were jacked up. However, I somehow don't have a problem spending money on pinball machines knowing that as long as I don't pay a fortune for them and keep them in good shape, they'll basically hold their value. Meanwhile, I roll my eyes at and give a hard time to my husband for wanting every new gaming console that's coming out, plus new games, plus the new iPad, etc. Sure, he gets enjoyment and fun from them, but there's no way they can appreciate in value like a pinball might. And I can't tinker with it to make it better or worth more. So we have a constant bickering when I complain about the $500 new system he wants just to play a certain game he really likes, and I get the "And how much is that pinball machine you're wanting?" response in return.

#31 10 years ago

Boating, Racing cars.....wow I must be in the wrong line of work! I find pinball to be expensive for sure!!
    I've heard about the glory days of pinball (I am relatively new), maybe they retired because they are tired of the negativity that creeps in? A lot of threads bash others, have trolls....doesn't that deter from enjoying the hobby?? Maybe, like others suggest, they change their name and are available for help when needed but avoid the everyday issues?? Whatever the reason - HAPPY RETIREMENT!

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

Boating, Racing cars.....wow I must be in the wrong line of work!

Nah, you're just not in the right family.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/retired-pinsider-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.