Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by roffels
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Sup guys every time i look at used pinballs in a retail type store it seems they what way to much sometimes double what they go for. I don't see how there going to sell at them prices at all. Just wondered what every one thinks ? See the link below guy want's 2600 for lw3 lol

philadelphia.craigslist.org link

#2 6 years ago

You had me at "Sup guys."

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Sup guys every time i look at used pinballs in a retail type store it seems they what way to much sometimes double what they go for. I don't see how there going to sell at them prices at all. Just wondered what every one thinks ? See the link below guy want's 2600 for lw3 lol

If he's retail, Means overhead
2600 Is a little high

2200 is more like it

I ran a 2500 sq ft retail location for almost 4 years plus doing my electrical contracting as well.
Rent
insurance
utilities
employee's
and the always unforgotten ware and tare on your body, vehicle, gas, mileage, time getting games (they just don't come to you most of the time)
Time spent on shopping pins and repairs!

Bottom line is when you se a retail price consider what goes into it!!!!!
There is a lot
and the #1 whats your personal time worth

Pincades
JT

#4 6 years ago

My favorite on the list is the 1999.99 Raven. As the proud owner of a clean Raven, I'll be happy to sell it to the first taker at that price. Heck, I will buy you a second one for parts to go with it

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

My favorite on the list is the 1999.99 Raven. As the proud owner of a clean Raven, I'll be happy to sell it to the first taker at that price. Heck, I will buy you a second one for parts to go with it

indeed

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

If he's retail, Means overhead
2600 Is a little high
2200 is more like it
I ran a 2500 sq ft retail location for almost 4 years plus doing my electrical contracting as well.
Rent
insurance
utilities
employee's
and the always unforgotten ware and tare on your body, vehicle, gas, mileage, time getting games (they just don't come to you most of the time)
Time spent on shopping pins and repairs!
Bottom line is when you se a retail price consider what goes into it!!!!!
There is a lot
and the #1 whats your personal time worth
Pincades
JT

I get what all goes into it and think they allways be higher than private seller but some prices i see are way over the top. Only good thing on retail is the warrenty and thats only with some places.

#7 6 years ago

I'm not as disturbed by retailer pricing as I am by the condition some of the pins are in at the asking price. I've seen a store have a certain title for sale on multiple occasions for the same price every time, but always in different conditions. I understand the overhead, etc, but when it's obvious they don't put much effort into making the pin functional beyond what it was when they received it, the prices become ridiculous.

I'm sure not all retailers are alike, but I'll always buy from a private seller.

#8 6 years ago

I don't think a lot of Pinsiders would buy at retail prices for used games, however there is always someone who doesn't know better or is new to the hobby. I was that sucker on my first pin before finding pinside. If they offer some form of warranty and deliver, there is a market segment for that. The type with money who don't care and pay for what they like, it gets delivered and when a simple problem arises they call that seller and pay them handsomely to fix it. Its not the average pinsider, but those types of buyers do exist. Some retailers have made a decent living doing this and have been in business for years, but cater to a certain crowd.

#9 6 years ago

I see them asking those retail prices all the time. The same games sitting there. Especially on Ebay. Ask your ridiculous prices all year long, until you start showing my some sales receipts - they are not WORTH the tag.

...and congrats to what I believe is the first price thread of 2015.

#10 6 years ago

Not to mention non-retail collectors who buy CPR playfields then try to make a big profit a year later just because the "future project" never happened. I believe in karma. Retail stores...I can see marking up alot due to covering overhead and for people who want the simplicity of dealing with a retail transaction and are willing to pay for it...

#11 6 years ago

Biggest thing for me is the tax on a used game at retail

So annoying paying tax on something that was taxed when nib

#12 6 years ago

I've always seen a 4 tiered system for buying a used pin, each with their own audience and price point:

1) untested, no warranty, as-is, and "don't call me" - by far the cheapest and some would say most "fun" way. I got my Super Soccer this way out of the back of a van at a show. It "mostly worked". And the seller was right.

2) tested, no warranty, as-is, and "don't call me" - a more typical purchase. Try the pin at a show or the seller's house, but you get what you get and you don't get upset. Obviously, it's a little less risky than #1 and the price is slightly higher because of it. This is how I got my Home Run and Cleopatra.

3) retail setting, short warranty, "call me, but I'm not your best friend" - for those who know a little less than the average owner, or are looking for a particular machine and aren't willing to troll shows, craigslist, or pinside for months / years looking for it. You are paying for a service. I'd be willing to purchase a pin this way, if it was the right one at a semi-reasonable price.

4) high end retail, long warranty, "I'll come to your house, set it up, and pretend to be your friend" - for those who know very little about pins and have lots of disposable income; showcase man caves where having a restored coke machine is the norm. I have a hard time seeing myself getting a pin this way, but I know someone with more money than a reasonable person should have that has bought pins this way. They were happy with their purchase, so who I am I to criticize?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Sup guys

And the proper salutation for a thread about a Philly craigslist ad should be "Yo, "

#14 6 years ago

Anyone see the new Cadillacs?
I hear they are redoing the fins.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I don't think a lot of Pinsiders would buy at retail prices for used games, however there is always someone who doesn't know better or is new to the hobby. I was that sucker on my first pin before finding pinside. If they offer some form of warranty and deliver, there is a market segment for that. The type with money who don't care and pay for what they like, it gets delivered and when a simple problem arises they call that seller and pay them handsomely to fix it. Its not the average pinsider, but those types of buyers do exist. Some retailers have made a decent living doing this and have been in business for years, but cater to a certain crowd.

So, the moral of the story is that retail pin buying is for the uninformed, suckers, and dummies-- haha.

#16 6 years ago

Retail isn't always too bad. There's a place by me, and yeah, their prices are higher, but not obscenely.

I picked up a Rollergames for $1000+ tax, T3 for $2300, and my parents picked up an Indy 500 for $2800. Yeah, there's markup, but that's the convenience you get for buying from a place that has a showroom with 40 games that you can walk away with that day, and not deal with some of the more colorful personalities you may meet on Craigslist or here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Boards
PinSound
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside