Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Remaking the Wizard Blocks I have was a really fun endeavor. It really stretched my talents electronically, mechanically and even on the software side to an extent.

With the way pinball machines have gone to LCDs, the cost factor isn't really that much different. If you look at my project as well as the Haunted Cruise project, it was pretty much all done by one person on the graphics side. Though, in order to finish mine, I'm going to have to delegate out the graphics work because it is NOT by forte by any means.

The electrical driver system in Pinball 2000 is still one of the nicest I've ever worked with.

Thanks for linking my thread in, jwilson !

If anyone ever has any questions about Wizard Blocks, or the Pinball 2000 system in general, I'm happy to answer them as I've pretty much had to reverse engineer the entire workings of Pinball 2000 both hardware and software wise during the course of this project (which started in 2013... ugh).

-- Jimmy

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It's the remake is still in progress, right Jimmy?
    Best of luck to you! If someone wants to make their own Wizard Blocks like you did, what would they need to do? I know it's unlikely, but if you had them, could you take the other existing white woods, complete the playfield, and drop them into your finished creation to have them work? Or did the design change too drastically between them? I noticed some pictures from the whitewoods don't have ramps and such.

The remake is still in progress, absolutely. The software still has a long way to go, and I've been busy with a bunch of other pinball contracts (P3, TNA, Spooky, Houdini and a few others in the amusement space) that WB kinda took a backseat to those. My first commitment with pinball is to my customers.

The whitewoods I have could pretty much be completed and dropped in. One exception was the original whitewood that uses the Pinball 2000 driver system rather than a P-ROC. The wiring harnesses and software were completely different.

I didn't start putting ramps on the game until the final whitewood since it was probably the longest running process. Thankfully Matt took care of that for me.

If someone wanted to take it on their own, its a tremendous undertaking. Two others have, one of them has a fully flipping whitewood with original software (Thats @wizboy). He's insanely smart and insanely dedicated to making his game, and it turned out really well. A true recreation of the original whitewood. You need playfield CAD files as well as all of the assembly CAD files. After that, if you don't have software, you need to write your own, which means you either need to run it on the Pinball 2000 system, or use a P-ROC.

The reasons I went with P-ROC for the final whitewood:
    - Its a great system and I'm very familiar with it
    - The software tools I already had in place
    - I could use pretty much any computer I want, and wasn't locked into the MediaGX stuff
    - It cut down on my wire runs significantly as I could mount the boards locally under the playfield
    - It allowed me to use RGB lamps throughout

The player never really knows the difference, but it made my life easier considering that I only had about 4 days to put software on the game from the point I got it mechanically complete to the point it was at TPF in 2017. Fun times!

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

What ever happened with the demolition man 2000 project?

Funny you ask! I dug up the code the other day and started thumbing through it and listening to the tracks... I totally forgot how much I crammed into that game. Right now its stored at a friend's place until I get my house out here in Austin. I can't fit it and Wizard Blocks into my apartment, so only one could come with

I'd love to pick it back up next year, that was just a plain fun project!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Compy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurrecting-pinball-2000-concept?tu=Compy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.