• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
20180515_222436 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Recently acquired my first pin, a Spin a Card that was headed to the curb. I expected it to be roached and was planning on gutting it to build a VP cab. But after firing it up (slowly with a Variac) it appears this guy still has some life left in it. Soooo looks like my pinball hobby has started. After a week or so of work it's cleaned up nice and plays amazingly well. This website and it's wealth of info has been invaluable.
One thing that is not working is the unique alternating Special feature that activates lights between the flippers and up at the middle fan target after completing a card sequence. I know this could be a number of things and that reading schematics and digging out my multi-meter might be in my future, for now I'm just wondering if there's something simple I should look for. Like with the scoring settings in the back box or something hiding. I installed new bulbs but neither activate and special is not awarded.
If someone has a quick suggestion I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

20180515_222436 (resized).jpg20180515_222436 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Hi J-RAIL , Welcome to the hobby and welcome to pinside. Congratulations on what sounds like a really good deal on a classic!

Here's the circuit for the Outhole Special light if you're set for 5 ball play. You'll want to learn how to use Alligator clip jumper wires.

http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 5 years ago

Wow. Thanks HowardR for the quick response and this info.
So, from my brief description, you think it's trouble-shooting time and not a setting I'm missing? I feared that.
She's still fun to play as all the scoring, spinning, lights work. And everything still bumps and baps. Just got a refurb kit today to spruce it up further.
Weird. This pin was just a few days from being tossed and ending up in a garbage truck.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from J-RAIL:

Wow. Thanks howardr for the quick response and this info.
So, from my brief description, you think it's trouble-shooting time and not a setting I'm missing? I feared that.
She's still fun to play as all the scoring, spinning, lights work. And everything still bumps and baps. Just got a refurb kit today to spruce it up further.
Weird. This pin was just a few days from being tossed and ending up in a garbage truck.

It must be an Ohio thing. I was working out near Cleveland about 20 years ago, and a guy out there told me that his son and friends found a pinball machine in the trash. He told me later after asking his son, that it was a Gottlieb "Scuba".
Welcome, and great save on that game.
That particular one looks pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurrecting-a-spin-a-card-quick-special-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.