(Topic ID: 216266)

Resurrecting a failing pinmuseum business ?

By pookycade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by textaddict
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54caa4c298eb1_-_pinball-3-xl1 (resized).jpg
    43879468_258920414813670_2372813820079898624_o (resized).jpg
    43878560_258920754813636_6047568455350091776_o (resized).jpg
    44023087_258920678146977_4823650750498340864_o (resized).jpg
    43878061_258920438147001_3126533477621563392_o (resized).jpg
    43878161_258920718146973_2894100172663422976_o (resized).jpg
    43952410_258920551480323_7337578701795622912_o (resized).jpg
    2C5DA07B-3167-4C05-BD29-619376877C8A (resized).png
    8157FA78-FEB7-4D06-91C2-9BCB43D920B6 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    mcdonalds-21 (resized).jpg
    b914ca7e6bd719c647153223bc87d3d54e42594a47f944891a56b42cefa76273 (resized).jpg
    11652917-2002-chevrolet-camaro-ss-thumb-c (resized).jpg
    There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

and then ask if anyone could come fix their broken pin or we knew of any good repair technicians. Upon giving them a referral they promptly walked out never to be seen again.

Walk-in: Do you guys fix pinball machines?
    Pook: We fix your games for free! As long as you leave them here to be played for 6 months once it's fixed.
    W: Wow! I mean ours is in the basement...they are heavy.
    P: Yeah, I move mine up and down the basement stairs all the time. I know they are heavy.
    W: 6 months, that's a long time.
    P: How many years has it been broke, lol ?
    W: Oh probably 5 years....maybe longer....10 really.
    P: You can come visit it as often as you like.
    W: What if you can't fix it?
    P: Never had one we could not fix, but no charge if we can't.
    W: What if my game breaks while it's here? I mean so many people playing it!
    P: Games were made to be beaten on, shook up, swore at. It will come back battle hardened, ego in check.
    W: I don't know, for all the trouble, how much is it for you to come to my house?
    P: $150 a hour, plus travel time from the shop, plus parts.
    W: You know, I only paid $200 for the game! Wow!
    P: Yeah, I once bought a car for $800 and then had to put in a trans for $1500 a month latter.
    W: OK, I'll bring it.

So you will get some extra games to rotate, hopefully a few people will come visit their game and play some of the others.

TAF and Bally Playboy are the 2 games that are always broken in every **rec-room** in America, so you might see multiples of those.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Walk-in: Do you guys fix pinball machines?
    Pook: We fix your games for free! As long as you leave them here to be played for 6 months once it's fixed.
    W: Wow! I mean ours is in the basement...they are heavy.
    P: Yeah, I move mine up and down the basement stairs all the time. I know they are heavy.
    W: 6 months, that's a long time.
    P: How many years has it been broke, lol ?
    W: Oh probably 5 years....maybe longer....10 really.
    P: You can come visit it as often as you like.
    W: What if you can't fix it?
    P: Never had one we could not fix, but no charge if we can't.
    W: What if my game breaks while it's here? I mean so many people playing it!
    P: Games were made to be beaten on, shook up, swore at. It will come back battle hardened, ego in check.
    W: I don't know, for all the trouble, how much is it for you to come to my house?
    P: $150 a hour, plus travel time from the shop, plus parts.
    W: You know, I only paid $200 for the game! Wow!
    P: Yeah, I once bought a car for $800 and then had to put in a trans for $1500 a month latter.
    W: OK, I'll bring it.
    So you will get some extra games to rotate, hopefully a few people will come visit their game and play some of the others.
    TAF and Bally Playboy are the 2 games that are always broken in every **rec-room** in America, so you might see multiples of those.

Vid you are killing me. That is absolute perfection.

#53 5 years ago

Jump in with both feet and try to make it a viable business. Open it 6 days a week, hire some college kids and serve a limited selection of beverages.

I’ve yet to see a barcade that isn’t packed with this model.

Heck give free beer away at a grand re-opening to really draw them in. You’re in a college town. Free beer+ college kids+video games=best advertising ever.

That $100 keg will pay for itself.

#54 5 years ago

I’m in marketing if your not on trip advisor, yelp, Facebook and other apps like that your shooting yourself in the foot. A large percent of the population use apps like those to search for entertainment\food and if your not managing and encouraging your customer to post reviews for you on those apps and sites then your missing a very large crowd of people who may otherwise not know your place even exists, especially if your in a touristy type town. Get online and create/claim your pages ASAP and get yourself some free exposure.

#55 5 years ago

@OP
    do you want to run a museum , barcade or a family fun center?

workout what you want to run, then you can workout who your customer base is
    once you know the demographic you want, then you can workout if the location is right for them

...THEN you can promote to your target customer base

#56 5 years ago

I stopped by today with my wife and kids to check things out. We were absolutely floored. The games are stunning and the variety in Paul’s collection is amazing. The atmosphere was friendly and inviting. My wife had our one year old in a carrier on her back and had plenty of room to comfortably play (and consistently beat me). Paul was incredibly gracious and attentive to my young daughter. She was mesmerized by all the lights, bells and whistles. I’m so sorry to hear that the place is struggling. We are planning to come back this coming weekend! While I don’t have any additional suggestions beyond what has already been written by other folks, I promise to enthusiastically spread the word locally and get more people through the door. It would be a shame and loss to the pinball and Charlottesville communities if this places closes down.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Andyzola87:

I’m in marketing if your not on trip advisor, yelp, Facebook and other apps like that your shooting yourself in the foot. A large percent of the population use apps like those to search for entertainment\food and if your not managing and encouraging your customer to post reviews for you on those apps and sites then your missing a very large crowd of people who may otherwise not know your place even exists, especially if your in a touristy type town. Get online and create/claim your pages ASAP and get yourself some free exposure.

I agree. I'm not in marketing, but own my own small business. Reviews / social media are where it's at. Google listing, Yelp, facebook, instagram. Create your accounts, and have a email newsletter signing sheet when they come it. Send targeted emails / texts requesting reviews. There are apps that do this, grade.us, birdeye, etc. Texts work better and know that it's against terms of service to request Yelp reviews.

Post images and videos on your social media accounts. Create a following. Easier said than done, but not that hard.

Stay away from groupon at all costs. Once you start with them, your business name will always be on groupon, and it's the first thing people will see when they search for you, because they rank well. If people think that there's a chance you may discount in the future, they may hold off on coming, waiting for a deal.

Leave flyers / business cards at local businesses that allow it.

Anyway, my two cents

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Correct, in most cases you can not keep expensing without showing a profit in 3 years. You also would have issues with the business owning the games if you close it down. If you sell games that are depreciated through the business you also take a tax hit. You might look into owning the games personally and leasing them to the business. Lots of different ways to set it up and all have draw backs.

Unless you are the government and then you run an unprofitable business for years, aka the USPS.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Unless you are the government and then you run an unprofitable business for years, aka the USPS

The purpose of the Government is not necessarily to make a profit. Different scenario.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Unless you are the government and then you run an unprofitable business for years, aka the USPS.

Quick sidebar -
    No government money/aka tax dollars are involved with USPS. It's only swimming in red ink on paper because the corporations that want to take over mail service and milk it dry lobbied congress to mandate that USPS prefund their pension obligations something like 50 years in advance., knowing it would likely break USPS and force privatization. So it looks like they're losing money every year, but a lot of that (some years ALL of that) is an on-paper pre-funding shortfall NO other government agency is bound by. USPS needs to be supported. Heaven help us all if corporations get hold of it, especially if you live in a rural area.

#61 5 years ago

Exactly

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming.......

#62 5 years ago

No question, Alcohol can cause problems but there is no way I'd stop buy if a couldn't have a beer while playing. Not looking to get bombed but a local craft beer and some pins would pull me in..

#63 5 years ago

i concur that Groupon is huge and does the marketing for you. i don't think any radio / print advertising works.

i've done zero advertising in the 10 years i have been open.

location is key, i don't think that location is a good idea personally. i started in a dead mall with cheap rent and worked the place with one other person...i didn't need a bunch to profit..i also bought and sold machines on the side...

reddit posts work, facebook, etc...that stuff becomes viral, but again, location is key...you need something visible regardless for people to find you...

my stores are in a mall and have a game store and 130 games for $7 one hour $10 all day play..

the other is in a 10k sq ft building with 400 physical machines and same pricing with large console area and game store...we do leagues, tournaments, events for everything...we do private events and we allow parties for free as long as they bring their own food and clean up.

now you aren't going to get rich off this but in my case i have 700 games and i am very comfortable right now....i drive a tacoma...you just have to be smart with your money...on my end the money is in the physical machines i have....they increased in value and that was it...

time and time again i see people make mistakes of heavy advertising, hundreds of thousands of dollars investing, having multiple investors, factors, etc....these place come and go, and i guarantee you have heard of most of those but never heard much about my stores in Nashville, yet here we are still ticking.....

keep in mind your love for pinball helps vs thinking bars/pins/investing will make you a ton of money....the smartest person invests the least amount of money to make the maximum profit and puts everything back into the business to make it successful vs trial and error.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

If you put newest pinball releases on the floor as soon as they come out, the hardcore pinballers will be there to try them out. Serve a great burger, and they would grab a bite to eat and probably bring he family.

$6000 every release, building out for a kitchen, health inspectors on you, codes people to deal with, all so a guy can spend $40-50 twice a year with his family? i wouldn't recommend that ever.

i have had people complain about my store being "dirty"..the building is 100+ years old and concrete and brick...we clean it as much as we can but i'm not spending money on restored pins only for them to get beat up anyway...

in my case you can't play half my games anywhere.....so this is really a personal museum i am allowing people to play at cheap...yet people are mad if the games are off ..we keep pins off in the garage but customers can turn them on, etc.....but they never listen and still hate it and complain...i only charge 10 bucks for 400 games 107 of them pins...to make this place spic and span and new it's 200k and i lose half the stuff and the price would have to go up to 20...that is a chance i won't take...random x factor person wanting super clean stuff will not pay the bills...hardcore regulars and families local looking for cheap entertainment do.

#65 5 years ago

1. Serve beer and wine. It's a must to bring in more money and bring in more people, especially people 21-40. The Seattle Pinball Museum just has bottles they sell and it's still family friendly.
    2. There is a local arcade in an alley in the basement of a building that's pretty hard to find. They put sandwich boards on busy nearby corners each day when the open.
    3. Print and radio advertising won't pay off. I do promotions and advertising for the NW Pinball & Arcade Show and have tried it all. What works best is Facebook advertising.
    4. Get a pinball league night there. Or start a local pinball team for a bar league when you have beer. If your town doesn't have these things, start throwing a weekly pinball tournament.

Usually you can test out alcohol by getting a cheap banquet license. You will probably have to get one a day, but they are usually like $15, I know businesses that have done that for months.

#66 5 years ago

Oh also, make tons of flyers and flyer people's cars. That's super cheap advertising. And post something to your Facebook page every day or two, even if it's just a link to an article about pinball and arcade news. You have to build up followers and a social media presence.

#67 5 years ago

As a potential client....

I go to these places and pay $10 for a craft beer while I play. No surprise I can buy a 4 pack for $12 around the corner.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinless:

Free beer+ college kids+video games=best advertising ever
    That $100 keg will pay for itself.

that "free beer" will cost more then that after you get permits to have it at your location. If they are paying an entrance fee the "free beer" isn't really free. You might get away with a number of times, but eventually a alcohol agent will get wind (usually by your competitors) and give you a hefty fine.

Here in texas The TABC (texas alchol and beverage commsion) would have our ass. We used to get catch shit from them on a regular basis. They always came in harassed our bartenders on the busiest nights and they ALWAYS found something wrong (why is this door lock?, where is the label on this?, etc..) everything wrong you get a fine. God forbid one of your patron ever have an accident because then you get put on their shit list for weekly visits. It's like a legal mafia.

After the TABC botched a court case against a local liquor and beer vendor SPEC's we haven't had any issues with them. Pretty sure the state neutered their authority. It's not about what you do or don't do, its about who you know or who your attorney knows. Regardless it's best not to give the agency near you any extra ammunition.

Serving alcohol can be great and it can have the potential to make money, but it comes with huge risks.
    Unless your in a no-fault state, if a patron leaves a bar and gets into an accident, them or their family can come and sue the shit out of your business. What I've come to learn is usually lawyers don't waste their time unless you have insurance. It's an easy mark and a quick payday for an attorney. Even if your not in the wrong the insurance company will settle in your stead. Every time you get sued your premiums skyrocket, eventually to the point to where it doesn't make sense to keep it.

#69 5 years ago

Have you guys heard about the Ice Cream Museum? This place has been entirely design for one thing : ready made pictures for your smartphone. Flashy colors, giant fruits, strong lighting,... People take pictures of themselves to post on the social networks. No need for advertising. This place has now high rankings on several travel websites... I'm not saying it's great, but that's the world we live in.

Pinball universe is quite photogenic too in my opinion : you could arrange few photobooth places in the museum with coloured lights, giant pop bumpers and drop targets... All DIY, maybe not a big investment. People take pictures and post them on Instagram, and optionnally play pinball of course

For what it's worth...

#70 5 years ago

I’m really diggin the vibe in this thread so far. Some really solid and well thought out advice being delivered in a good way.

#71 5 years ago

A rotating selection of craft beer is a must, most places have a diverse local selection at this point.

If you do not want to have the cost associated with a kitchen, there is always the possibility of “popup” restraunts, health department permitting. Around here the breweries find small niche businesses like beef jerky, bbq, pretzels, bakeries and donut shops to setup a table once a week so that they may serve food. I am not sure if the host venue receives a cut of sales, it is worth pressing for it. The main idea is not to get people to spend on food, rather to have them stay longer.

Other places provide take out menus to customers and allow food to be brought in.

The breweries and barcade here host trivia once a week, usually related to comedy movies, shows or adult geared cartoons.

One thing that all these successful places have in common, constant posting on social media and Facebook event pages that friends can share with eachother. For instance If you make a super troopers trivia night event page, you will benefit from the popularity of that movie. I have seen weekdays that would be otherwise dead, have 25 people involved with trivia.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Andyzola87:

I’m in marketing if your not on trip advisor, yelp, Facebook and other apps like that your shooting yourself in the foot

Yep. The OP mentioned earlier that he spent $180 on ads ... old school radio/paper ads dont work any more.

Get a Facebook page set up and update it regularly with your opening hours and new pin arrivals etc. Promote your league nights hard. I think you said there was a college in town? Try and get them involved somehow.

These days using social media, promotion is free/cheap, compared to the old days ... however you need to put in some good effort to make them work.

rd

#73 5 years ago

I know others have already mentioned this but pinballmap.com is an absolute must. I travel for a living and use their app almost exclusively to find pins on the road. Talk to the admin and have them add a section for Charlottesville.

#74 5 years ago

I'll agree that social media presence is vital, but I would not update daily unless you have something with substance to announce. Simply updating daily to post your hours (i.e. updating for the sake of an update) will annoy people and they'll begin to block or un-follow your page as a nuisance. Keep the updates interesting and informational, like a special you're running or a change in the game line-up. Or, announce available games to play in blocks, with one nice bright clear picture of a couple of games. That way you're always announcing something fresh instead of repeating old news.

Richard

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Serve beer and wine. It's a must to bring in more money and bring in more people,

There is no guarantee in that. Bars go broke too.

Depending on your license and location, you may not have minors in there, even with parent. And not all people are into the "bar" scene. Especially non drinkers. They need places to go too.

It may help a business, it may hurt it. People running it really have to do their homework on what will work best for them.

LTG : )

#76 5 years ago

Your best bet is to get a food truck for few nights and a Ice Cream truck for they other. A couple of vending machines inside, soda and snacks. If your going to succeed you are going to have to promote it as a real business. It wont just happen. Hire someone who's salary is tied to the profits.

#77 5 years ago

Do you have food and beverages at all? Or just no alcohol? While I do enjoy being able to have a beer or 5 while I play, it's not a necessity. I can only offer advice as a customer, not an operator, but I have a few buddies I'll go with to locations alot that have a similar selection (20+ games), some we drive over 40 minutes to get to just to play:

Alcohol and food is great. Food and non-alcoholic beverages is fine. Just beverages is a must. Most of the time I'm not just stopping in for a game or two, we're in for the day/night's activity. Having no where to get a drink without leaving, and no ability to get or bring in food would be a big deterrent. Same with some chairs and tables set up for a break and just to keep our stuff on.

If your customers are like us, you're losing money at $10 all day play. At our weekly league I'm there for about 2 hours and spend 10 bucks or so. If we had a $10 all day play place by us for pins I'd never leave lol.

Sounds like the location and parking could be 90% of the problem. If no one can find you or get to you, you're lost before you even start.

#78 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. This is why I come here. Pinsiders helping pinsiders and improving availability of Pinball everywhere.

We are going to follow several of these suggestions now and perhaps most importantly it will help govern the location we move to next in a couple of months.

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

We are going to follow several of these suggestions now and perhaps most importantly it will help govern the location we move to next in a couple of months.

Best wishes and success !

#80 5 years ago

You could also sell "memberships" that allow all-access for a monthly fee.

#81 5 years ago

Social media is great, particularly to market to an established clientele, however radio is the ultimate word of mouth, except you're telling thousands of people at a time instead of just one. However, to be successful you have to run the commercial enough times for it to be effective and $180 isn't going to do it. Many radio stations have radio auctions and they will trade you commercials for your gift certificates that they will then sell in their auction, it's a win win as they get paid, you get exposure during the auction plus commercials to run in exchange for your customers, plus new customers in the door who hopefully have a good experience and become repeat customers. Look for a station with an oldies/classics hits or classic rock format in order to reach the proper demo.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

Social media is great, particularly to market to an established clientele, however radio is the ultimate word of mouth, except you're telling thousands of people at a time instead of just one. However, to be successful you have to run the commercial enough times for it to be effective and $180 isn't going to do it. Many radio stations have radio auctions and they will trade you commercials for your gift certificates that they will then sell in their auction, it's a win win as they get paid, you get exposure during the auction plus commercials to run in exchange for your customers, plus new customers in the door who hopefully have a good experience and become repeat customers. Look for a station with an oldies/classics hits or classic rock format in order to reach the proper demo.

Radio isn't a magic bullet, either. At least, not anymore. I don't listen to terrestrial radio at all. Haven't for like 10 years. Satellite radio has 32.7 million subs now. People not on that are listening to podcasts, music, streams, etc in their cars, too. Radio is losing listeners at a pretty big rate as a result.

#83 5 years ago

How about a competition, where someone could win a running car something flashy like a 90's Camaro rally red, t-tops etc lol. Best score in a 3 month period wins it? You'll get a lot of traffic and hopefully far more money earned then the car will actually cost too. That's how PT Barnum made his first real killing!

11652917-2002-chevrolet-camaro-ss-thumb-c (resized).jpg11652917-2002-chevrolet-camaro-ss-thumb-c (resized).jpg

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

1. Serve beer and wine. It's a must to bring in more money and bring in more people, especially people 21-40. The Seattle Pinball Museum just has bottles they sell and it's still family friendly.
    2. There is a local arcade in an alley in the basement of a building that's pretty hard to find. They put sandwich boards on busy nearby corners each day when the open.
    3. Print and radio advertising won't pay off. I do promotions and advertising for the NW Pinball & Arcade Show and have tried it all. What works best is Facebook advertising.
    4. Get a pinball league night there. Or start a local pinball team for a bar league when you have beer. If your town doesn't have these things, start throwing a weekly pinball tournament.
    Usually you can test out alcohol by getting a cheap banquet license. You will probably have to get one a day, but they are usually like $15, I know businesses that have done that for months.

beer and alcohol is not a must....and under no circumstances would i say having an adult hold a beer around minors is "family friendly" at all.

pinball leagues don't bring in money...quite the contrary..it's a bonus if you are in an area like the pacific northwest for gravy on the top of existing cash but he needs groupon at this point.

#85 5 years ago

Tournaments and leagues can bring people in as that's what I've been doing here locally to grow our scene. However, rental is a good option too and allowing BYOB as well. We have a local spot, Free Gold Watch that is similar to yours location wise - off the main drag on Haight Street but not a place anyone would go otherwise unless they knew it was there. They allow BYOB and started with 2 pins and now have 50 and a league with 80 members and 1.5 year waiting list. The pins generate good revenue (i know as I have one there and am surprised it earns in such a large collection especially since my pricing is higher than many other pins). Anyhow, there's a good thread on TiltForums of how Eugene, OR built up their scene, but it's more league/tournament focused: http://tiltforums.com/t/growing-a-pinball-culture-and-player-base/3679/7

I think doing the social media marketing, renting it out for maybe college club parties (event greek system?) and i always see lots of kids parties at the PHOF in Vegas. Could be options and just price it out to be worth the rental in your market. Selling chips, drinks on site is additional incremental revenue too...

#86 5 years ago

First of I wish you luck and hope you succeed and from what it sounds like may even end up moving. I have thought about what you are doing many times have ran the numbers of what it would take to just stay afloat but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I live in a smaller town but next to a Military base that can help a business, but also hurt when they are deployed. So that is also my issue. I to would need cheap rent but such as you that means not so good locations.

Here is my 2 cents.

First you really should add some food, like a snack bar, chips, candy and some drinks. This is money that you are missing out on, not going to make you rich but could pay the electric bill every month or insurance or something. They probably won’t remember you for your snack bar but they will remember you where the place that didn’t have any food or drinks. These are items your league guys should be buying from you.

League run it on an off night if they are only paying $5 and the general customer is paying $10 don’t have league when you have it open to the public.
    Package deals (MRC). I know a place in Houston doing what you are doing they have walk in price and they have deals look them up the game preserve Houston. Have a monthly price a family price these include some guest passes so you get them to bring in new potential customers. Plus you now have MRC monthly recurring charge/revenue.

Facebook, it kills me to say this one as I don’t even have a facebook, but every time I go to look for anything anymore it takes me to their facebook. So take advantage of that but as other said don’t over kill it.

Then the last thing is as other stated decide what you want to be? In my area I know I will need more arcade and less pinball to succeed. I would be none alcoholic place but have thought of the BYOB and maybe run some adult only events for that? But would have to look into all the laws and such.
    You can also run some promotions, 80’s night, 90’s night play that decade of music have them dress the part and give out a prize to the best dressed to fit the decade.

Good luck and hope you make a go at it. I may PM you for some advice on pulling the trigger on my own arcade, who knows.

#87 5 years ago

There are businesses that benefit greatly from location (Starbucks) and then there are those that it does not really matter.

A 'destination' business does not require a great location. (think of the new "Escape Rooms" that are popping up - most are renting space in strip-warehouses in not very visible locations)

Of course, if your arcade is on the Coney Island boardwalk or facing the ocean at Myrtle Beach, you will get customers straggling in but I would classify an arcade as a destination. Even on vacation where customers have no place to go, they still make plans to go to a destination like this. The PHOF is a good example. It is not in a great location (it is on Tropicana but a ways off the strip) but people know about it and go when they are in town. It clearly is not because of the location on Tropicana that people drive by and decide to stop in.

Disney World was built in the middle of nowhere. Walt knew he didn't need to be in LA or Dallas to make a go of it. People just had to know it existed.

Someone mentioned that "Ice Cream Museum" - another perfect example. The one in Miami is not something many would drive by (even though it is on Collins Ave) it is on the North end of the not very touristy area. But they advertise in every tourist brochure and pamphlet you see in town and on the marquees of the Taxi cabs.

Since you do not have frontage (with a nice sign) that people can see (and thus make a mental note to come visit sometime) you need to get visible in your community.

*Everyone in your community needs to know you exist.* Then when Nanny or Stay-at-home Dad need a place to let the kids get some amusement, they will think of you.

I would stay in the obscure location (capitalize on that and make it seem like it is exclusive (like Club 33 at Disneyland). Utilize the Sandwich Board idea on the sidewalk, buy a small former U-Haul truck (which you'll need to move pins anyway) and wrap it and park it nearby in different spots each day. Go big on social media. If you offer a deal on Groupon or wherever, offer more time (all day for the price of 1 hour), or free chips and a drink. Do not offer 2 for 1 admission as you just cut out a paying entry.

All of this being said, I would also have amusements beyond just pinball. Even in the glory days of pinball, the arcades still had other amusements to cater to all tastes.

And as others have stated, have a concession stand. A friend who is a GM at a local large movie-plex always says, "I run a restaurant that happens to show movies." His money is made in the lobby, not in the theater.

Finally, it should be pretty easy to do the math to see what sort of numbers you need to survive/thrive. Those could be your short-term and your stretch goals. "We need to get 150 people in this month to cover our nut." If you need 150, and you are only getting 50, it is doubtful a new location would all of a sudden triple your attendance.

#88 5 years ago

Oh another thought - photographers like to have interesting and unique places to shoot so you can rent it out for that as well and like everyone has been saying the Instagrammable stuff is popular and could be an angle too. All kinda related. Funny b/c I just wrote a blog post about that for my own business!

#89 5 years ago

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We've been discussing amongst ourselves many of the ideas here.

At least for our current location, our demographic is telling us what they want.

5 customers last Fri nite
    2 customers last Sat nite
    35 customers last Sun afternoon.

Our radio ads will come to an end. Can't afford them, saw no bump in traffic with them, and you'd have to be listening to the one radio station we advertised on. We did put ads in our local weekly entertainment paper, and I will try that just a bit more, though I too view them with suspicion. Everyone initially found us thru Facebook and that should tell us something right there.

Will be on pinmap shortly, as well as Yelp, and will update our Facebook page more frequently.

We have pretty much decided our business model is dictated by location (and vice versa I suppose). Right now we are destination, if we go high traffic area next, probably want to be next to a bar (for nitetime) or a movie theatre or family friendly restaurant (daytime). These are all a mix of space availability, rent, and honestly we are just sorting thru possibilities right now. Not so many landlords (and surrounding businesses) want a noisy arcade. Saw a fantastic and affordable underground basement with a clear club/barcade possibility to it. But family friendly it was not.

We are also renting the place out and have a few groups lined up at $125/hr. I suspect our income stream is going to be a little here, a little there with all the pots adding up to making rent.

While I don't think one has to make an absolute dichotomy (Starcade in Phoenix which unfortunately wasn't open when I was there in April stradles the night and daytime crowds and it works), I would say that nitetime without better location and/or alcohol is probably not all that viable unless something changes. We may in fact scrap Sat nite and just make it Sat afternoon, though that might split our Sun crowd with double the hours and same total number.

The good news is that we are not in fact bleeding money right now. Yeah there is some debt, but its all well secured debt, and worst comes to worst the machines are a several multiples of that debt. That means there is no desperation here, more a question of what do we do to retool to get useful information over the next 3 months. As I mentioned earlier my time is the thing in least supply here.

One thing we will for sure do is reduce the pins some from say 33 down to 25 and add in a few more arcade games. Already have those, just sitting in storage. Again I think having a more balanced mix (33 pins/10 videos -> 25 pins/20 videos) will better satisfy customer needs. Thats been obvious in the last two months.

Perhaps most importantly, the question is what do we want to be ? Pragmatically the answer is "open for business". So we shall do what we need to and what we can afford. But really, I am less barcade, and more about having people like my own family come in and having some fun. I get barcade vibe already on our BYOB league nights and thats good enough for me.

#90 5 years ago

Your male to female ratio is what 3? Where do guys go regularly, except the bar? What if you linked up with a barber shop? High end barber shops are a thing right now. Guys hate sitting around reading 2 year old GQ and SI. They would much rather play pin. Course they could also come in and play pin for a an hour and a half waiting for someone to be free for a shave or hair cut. Two bits. Thats a quarter, right?

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Radio isn't a magic bullet, either. At least, not anymore. I don't listen to terrestrial radio at all. Haven't for like 10 years. Satellite radio has 32.7 million subs now. People not on that are listening to podcasts, music, streams, etc in their cars, too. Radio is losing listeners at a pretty big rate as a result.

Radio reaches 93% of the 12 plus population and averages 243 million listeners per month. Even tv only reaches 87%. Feel free to google it. Satellite radio has minimal listenership in comparison. I run a group of radio stations and this is a misconception we deal with constantly.

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

Radio reaches 93% of the 12 plus population and averages 243 million listeners per month. Even tv only reaches 87%.

No one listens to radio these days. We all have music available on our phones and podcasts have replaced even that in many cases.
    Don't waste your money on radio or TV.

#93 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

Radio reaches 93% of the 12 plus population and averages 243 million listeners per month. Even tv only reaches 87%. Feel free to google it. Satellite radio has minimal listenership in comparison. I run a group of radio stations and this is a misconception we deal with constantly.

The radio industry surveys are not in tune with reality and massaged to hide the massive decline in real-world listenership. If you use TIME INVOLVED with the medium as the metric, which is the only one that matters, that decline is clear. That's why the industry uses terms like "reach" and "exposed" - very easy to meet the definition of those words, but meaningless in practice. The articles that quote the embarrassing stats from that Nielsen survey even point out that REACH is nothing - USAGE is where it's at, and TV USAGE destroys Radio in the length of interaction. I'm sure iphone/tablet/ipad does, too. Also, if you heard a minute or three of radio anytime in the past week, you were counted in that Nielsen survey as being "reached" by radio, but again, that's a meaningless level of content from that media source. So 93% of the US heard at least a minute of radio ONE TIME in the past week. Meaningless.

Iheartradio didn't go bankrupt over 20 Billion (with a B) in debt because radio is healthy. CBS radio didn't go the way of the dodo (okay, given away in a merger) because radio is an awesome business model in the 21st century. CBS DOES, however, still have all their TV holdings, still, and are making a killing there. Hmm. Terrestrial radio is declining compared to historical norms, and that will continue to accelerate as more kids age-in with no exposure at ALL to over the air radio, having received all their content from the internet or satellite.

Literally everyone I know listens to satellite radio, music on their phones, or stream content to their car. That trend is accelerating, not declining. And yes, I know the whole US isn't advancing at the same rate, but that's the trendline. Fighting it is futile.

#94 5 years ago

I listen to the radio 2x a day.

I start my truck.

I click on Station Mem1 and it's AC/DC

I click on Mem2 and it's Metallica

I click on Mem3 and it's Queen or G&R

I click on Mem4 and it's somebody talking about farting on their girlfriend.

I finally click on my SD card and listen to some music that is not 40-50 years old.

I repeat the process on my way home.....

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There is no guarantee in that. Bars go broke too.
    Depending on your license and location, you may not have minors in there, even with parent. And not all people are into the "bar" scene. Especially non drinkers. They need places to go too.
    It may help a business, it may hurt it. People running it really have to do their homework on what will work best for them.

Sure, it all depends on local laws and the climate. The Seattle Pinball Museum seems to work it quite well, it's all ages, it doesn't have a bar vibe at all, but you can buy bottles and cans of beer and wine at the front desk. Dads can have a beer or two while playing games for a few hours with their kids and groups of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s can come and have some beers and play pinball. They do it without much investment in the bar side. But yeah, all depends on where you live, the laws, the market. We have 10 barcades to compete with that are packed nightly, along with dozens more bars with 6 or more pins, so having drinks helps them compete.

#96 5 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

beer and alcohol is not a must....and under no circumstances would i say having an adult hold a beer around minors is "family friendly" at all.
    pinball leagues don't bring in money...quite the contrary..it's a bonus if you are in an area like the pacific northwest for gravy on the top of existing cash but he needs groupon at this point.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, our Seattle Pinball Museum feels very family friendly and sells bottles of beer.

Why don't you think pinball leagues bring in money? Bars her specifically put in enough games to host league nights to help fill up their bars on dead nights. The players all pay to play plus they all tend to buy a lot of drinks.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

"Radio is the third most powerful medium in the United States, reaching 54 percent of the country’s population daily. In comparison, over 75 percent are reached by television, while social media accounts for 45.7 percent. Online radio is playing an increasing role in the radio market, with an estimated 61 percent of the U.S. population listening to online radio in 2017." -statista.com

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/traditional-radio-faces-a-grim-future-new-study-says-1202542681/

#98 5 years ago
    Quoted from DreamTR:

...and under no circumstances would i say having an adult hold a beer around minors is "family friendly" at all.

What???????

You got to get out and see the world outside the Puritanical States of America.

Monasteries in Europe brew beer and sell it in a paper cup off the side of the chapel.

Vending machines sell beer and good wholesome people enjoy it on the tram as they ride home to their families after work.

MacDonald's sells beer and wine.

Jesus himself made wine.

C'mon man!

b914ca7e6bd719c647153223bc87d3d54e42594a47f944891a56b42cefa76273 (resized).jpgb914ca7e6bd719c647153223bc87d3d54e42594a47f944891a56b42cefa76273 (resized).jpg
    mcdonalds-21 (resized).jpgmcdonalds-21 (resized).jpg

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

3) Charlottesville is eclectic enough it should be able to support something like this. Ashville, Danville, Richmond, and Roanoke are all within 2-5 hours and they seem to make it work.

Since you mentioned our pinball museum in Asheville I have a few points. It started small, a few years ago expanded into a much larger space, and this year opened a second smaller location. Last time I was there on a Tuesday afternoon it was filled to capacity and had a waiting line within 2 hours after opening. I advise folks to never go on a weekend, there is always a wait and patrons don't get in at a times. I'm guessing TC (the owner) has close to 100 or more customers go through on a weekend day.

We are a tourist town. Absolutely booming especially with all of the breweries that have opened in the last 5 years. Over the past 2 years all of the high end hotel chains (Mariott, Hilton, etc) have opened new hotels down town, there are at least 4 more now under construction. Multiple B&Bs that are sold out all the time. TC does not have to advertise, he has no gimmicks. If you have not visited his business I highly suggest you make a road trip to see how amazing it is.

No one has ever seen a McDonalds franchise fail. Because they don't build them without understanding and researching the local demographics, and markets.

I hate to say it, but if you are getting 5 - 10 customers at a time no amount of gimmicks or advertising will increase your volume that much. I suspect you are just in an area without enough foot traffic.
    But I wish you the best if you decide to pursue it further.

#100 5 years ago

Seattle pinball museum is 17.00 just to walk in the door if I recall, they are also right next to the Amtrak Station and plenty of great food options.

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurrecting-a-failing-pinmuseum-business/page/2?hl=duvall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.