IMG_0803 (resized).JPG
IMG_0333 (resized).JPG
IMG_0336 (resized).JPG
IMG_0334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0343 (resized).JPG
IMG_0409 (resized).JPG
IMG_0371 (resized).JPG
IMG_0369 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Among all the high end restorations I see on the forums, there is a place for low end player condition machines. I remember reading this thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-worth-restoring-a-bally-lost-world), and figured I would document my "low end restoration" to possibly inspire newer people in the hobby, and remind them you don't have to go all-in fixing up a game. Case in point, my Bally Lost World.

Initial prognosis is, game doesn't boot, the PF hasn't been touched in probably 25 years, and the cabinet bottom isn't supported in the front of the machine.

IMG_0268 (resized).JPGIMG_0268 (resized).JPGIMG_0305 (resized).JPGIMG_0305 (resized).JPGIMG_0263 (resized).JPGIMG_0263 (resized).JPG
#3 1 year ago

I generally split this type of project into three phases which can be tackled in parallel. A) Backbox boards and displays, B) Playfield top and bottom, and C) Cabinet and hardware. I'll start posting the top side breakdown pictures, which hopefully will help others when they take apart their Lost Worlds.
IMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0278 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0280 (resized).JPGIMG_0280 (resized).JPGIMG_0282 (resized).JPGIMG_0282 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0286 (resized).JPGIMG_0286 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0289 (resized).JPGIMG_0289 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPGIMG_0290 (resized).JPG

IMG_0292 (resized).JPGIMG_0292 (resized).JPGIMG_0294 (resized).JPGIMG_0294 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0296 (resized).JPGIMG_0296 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0300 (resized).JPGIMG_0300 (resized).JPGIMG_0301 (resized).JPGIMG_0301 (resized).JPGIMG_0303 (resized).JPGIMG_0303 (resized).JPG
#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Not bad - I've seen worse. First thing to do is cut that battery off of the MPU, and work on stopping the spread of corrosion under the solder mask.
Following

Agreed. I took the battery off (I think it had a date on with from '93), but didn’t take 100% pics during that phase. Hopefully I have just enough pics to document the repairs, and get some newer pinheads motivated to tackle similar projects.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I generally split this type of project into three phases which can be tackled in parallel. A) Backbox boards and displays, B) Playfield top and bottom, and C) Cabinet and hardware. I'll start posting the top side breakdown pictures, which hopefully will help others when they take apart their Lost Worlds.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe it's obvious to most, but I find it very helpful to breakup the PF topside into zones, and disassemble those "zones" individually. Each zone gets its own ziplock bag (labeled!), which helps me remember which small parts go where. I also throw the old rubbers in the ziplock to help match the correct size when installing the new rubbers.

The only problem with this method is, it prevents me from dumping all the parts into the tumbler at once, and really kills my efficiency. Anyone have any tips/suggestions in this area?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I agree that everyone has their preferred methods, and I’m not knocking one method over another.
I was just telling the OP how I do it. I do agree, that if I was doing this for extra cash or for a living, I would do it the quickest way possible. Since I’m retired and this is just an excuse to keep me out of the bars, I can afford to take my time.
Keep the suggestions coming. I might learn something

I appreciate the different prospectives. I never know when something might just "click" for me, so I'm always down for hearing different methods.

#11 1 year ago

Once the topside was mostly torn down, I brought it down into my basement shop and threw it into my bicycle stand rotisserie. I started scrubbing with a magic eraser + naphtha, and novis 1 + 2. Again, the purpose here is not to "restore", but to get a 100% playing pin that presents as best as it can be in its current condition. At this point in the overhaul, I have spent zero dollars.

IMG_0353 (resized).JPGIMG_0353 (resized).JPG
#12 1 year ago

Once it's cleaned up, I take a tally of everything I need to order. So far I've identified the pop caps are wrong, pop skirts are chipped, flippers will be rebuilt, a handful of star posts are chipped, and that's about it for the PF. In addition to the repairs, this machine will get titan rubbers, and comet retro leds (warm white).

#15 1 year ago

What to do while parts come in.... check out the cab!

The bottom lip that holds the cabinet bottom in place was chipped off in a few spots. The portion of the cabinet bottom closest to the player was sagging pretty bad.

IMG_0305 (resized).JPGIMG_0305 (resized).JPGIMG_0306 (resized).JPGIMG_0306 (resized).JPG
#16 1 year ago

My solution was to cut new backing blocks and glue/screw them into the cabinet interior. This would give me something to anchor the bottom to.

IMG_0307 (resized).JPGIMG_0307 (resized).JPGIMG_0309 (resized).JPGIMG_0309 (resized).JPGIMG_0312 (resized).JPGIMG_0312 (resized).JPGIMG_0313 (resized).JPGIMG_0313 (resized).JPG
#17 1 year ago

For the bottom I cut up some plywood strips and screwed those through the bottom into those new blocks. I made sure the plywood thickness does not protrude below the cabinet sides. All screw heads were countersunk to ensure the cab could be slid in/out of the back of a vehicle.

I don't love how this looks when the machine is tipped up, but the repair is completely hidden from view when setup. It is also incredibly sturdy now.

IMG_0310 (resized).JPGIMG_0310 (resized).JPGIMG_0314 (resized).JPGIMG_0314 (resized).JPGIMG_0315 (resized).JPGIMG_0315 (resized).JPG
#18 1 year ago

Getting inside the backbox, the first thing I pulled was the rectifier board. At $35 shipped (from @barakandl) for a brand new kit, I didn't see the point in fixing my old one. The panavise came in handy for this task. I didn't have my crimping tools on me at this point, but that female molex was replace later (no picture).

IMG_0343 (resized).JPGIMG_0343 (resized).JPGIMG_0369 (resized).JPGIMG_0369 (resized).JPGIMG_0371 (resized).JPGIMG_0371 (resized).JPGIMG_0409 (resized).JPGIMG_0409 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#19 1 year ago

As for the MPU, the board had some moderate corrosion damage. I did a pretty routine repair (not really documented with pictures. The paint (nail polish) I had matched my Stern MPU pretty well, but Bally's green, not so much.

IMG_0333 (resized).JPGIMG_0333 (resized).JPGIMG_0334 (resized).JPGIMG_0334 (resized).JPGIMG_0336 (resized).JPGIMG_0336 (resized).JPG
#20 1 year ago

After the board (affected area only) was stripped, I cleaned with abrasives to get to the bare conductors / traces, then neutralized with toilet bowl cleaner, than rinsed with iso propyl. I had a couple small traces which needed to be built up with hookup wire, but overall not a tough repair.

If anyone is hesitant about dropping the money on a Hakko desoldering gun, DO IT! That thing makes board repair VERY simple, and has probably saved me at least $600 in new boards across a few games.

IMG_0803 (resized).JPGIMG_0803 (resized).JPG

#21 1 year ago

Well at least they had it jacked up to an aggressive slope!

IMG_0347 (resized).JPGIMG_0347 (resized).JPG
#22 1 year ago

Here's an easy tip. While the legs are off, throw the leg bolts in your drill, and buff them with scotchbrite. They look good and $FREE.99

IMG_0349 (resized).JPGIMG_0349 (resized).JPGIMG_0351 (resized).JPGIMG_0351 (resized).JPG
#23 1 year ago

SDB was rebuilt. I like the Big Daddy Enterprise kits because it simplifies the purchase, I really hope he opens back up. I bought his 5V and HV kit. I also picked up the sound board cap kit while I was there.

When I reinstalled the sound board there was lots of static/background noise. After a quick search, I isolate the board from the board mounts with some electrical tape and it went away.

IMG_0802 (resized).JPGIMG_0802 (resized).JPGIMG_0801 (resized).JPGIMG_0801 (resized).JPG
#24 1 year ago

The backglass had flaking on the bottom edge and along one of the score displays. I tried out the super-glue method to lock the flakes back down and it went ok. At one point I got glue on my finger and glued a small piece of the art to my finger

My GF (non-pinhead) thought the BG came out awesome. It helps that Lost World has some incredible art to distract the eye. Also, the backbox now has comet retro 1 SMD leds (warm white). They provide good output, great color, and decreased heat.
IMG_0804 (resized).JPGIMG_0804 (resized).JPGIMG_0805 (resized).JPGIMG_0805 (resized).JPGIMG_0809 (resized).JPGIMG_0809 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurrecting-a-barn-find-lost-world-into-a-player?tu=Pinash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.