• Latest reply 5 years ago by tscottn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sky Jump 5000 points 2 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Well, sometimes you just have to know when your beat and to ask the experts.. seems like I have been doing this a lot lately and for that I am truly sorry. Im also humbled by this machine.. For a system of relays and coils, with no actual computer within its belly, this thing sure is humbling me.. well, anyway I will get to the point of my post..

Lately I have had a series of issue that with the help of the experts of this group have been able to solve.. However one problem that keeps popping up"intermittently" is a issue where sometimes the 5000 point bonus when shooting the drop targets will not happen. ( now this issue is permanent )

Right now the game scores fine with the exception of the 5000 point bonus awarded for each drop target shot. I can manually depress the 500 pt relay (C) which scores 500 pts perfectly, however when i depress the 10x relay (D) and then the 500 pt relay (C), no score is put up on the board. 10x relay (D) and 50 pt relay (B) work fine scoring 500 pts, however this is not the case with the 10x relay (D) and the 500 pt relay (C) to score 5000..

To me in my limited knowledge it seems like there is a short somewhere. I have visually inspected every relay for any solder bomb, shorts, loose wires, or bad connections.. nothing seems to pop out at me.. I have cleaned and re-seated every Jones plug and visually inspected all the connections as well..

I should also mention that when all drop targets are down, the game awards the 5000 pt bonus through the 5000 pt and bank reset relay (E) just fine.

I hope this all makes sense.. I can post a video if needed.. thanks in advance for any help..

#2 5 years ago

It looks like there are two paths or situations where the game scores 5000 points:
Sky Jump 5000 points 2 (resized).jpgSky Jump 5000 points 2 (resized).jpg
The Score Motor 1A switch on the right generates 5 pulses that can end up at either the M/100 point or L/1000 point relays. Paths 1 and 2 in red are used to score 5000 points and paths 3 and 4 score 500 points.

Path 1 as you mentioned is through the E/5000 point relay and seems to be working. The other 5000 point path (2 in red) goes through Make/Break switches on the C/500 point and D/10 Times relays. I'd examine those switches first.

Note that generally if there is a short somewhere, things tend to happen that shouldn't happen (fuses blow, extra points are added, etc.). When a circuit fails to complete due to an open, things that should happen generally don't, such as your missing 5000 points.

/Mark

#3 5 years ago

Thanks MarkG I will examine those make or breaks tonight when i get home and report back.. Its so frustrating to have intermittent issues, however now that the issue seems to be sticking around, maybe there is hope to actually resolve it..

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It looks like there are two paths or situations where the game scores 5000 points:
[quoted image]
The Score Motor 1A switch on the right generates 5 pulses that can end up at either the M/100 point or L/1000 point relays. Paths 1 and 2 in red are used to score 5000 points and paths 3 and 4 score 500 points.
Path 1 as you mentioned is through the E/5000 point relay and seems to be working. The other 5000 point path (2 in red) goes through Make/Break switches on the C/500 point and D/10 Times relays. I'd examine those switches first.
Note that generally if there is a short somewhere, things tend to happen that shouldn't happen (fuses blow, extra points are added, etc.). When a circuit fails to complete due to an open, things that should happen generally don't, such as your missing 5000 points.
/Mark

Well I am happy to say the issue has been resolved thanks to MarkG . Based on the schematic I first jumpered the white wire coming off 1A directly to the GR-WH-RED of the L relay. By doing this I was able to complete the circuit and the 5000 pts was put on the board. I then jumped the N/O switch of the D relay to the closed position which did not fix the issue. I then Jumped the N/O switch of the C relay to the closed position and now I was getting 5000 points again. So I cleaned and adjusted the N/O switch on this relay which fixed the issue hopefully for good.. Its funny because I had looked at this relay a few times before and each time it looked like the switch was closing, however it must have been just not enough of a contact being made. Thanks again for all your help. These schematics are not looking so " Greek" to me when presented in small snippets like this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resurfaced-scoring-issue-on-sky-jump and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.