• Latest reply 7 years ago by alexanr1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

#1 9 years ago

The wire ramps of my Williams Indiana Jones lost a lot of their original gold color. As part of restoring the machine to its (g)old glory, I would like to bring the original gold color back. The final result must be durable (the gold color must last for a long time) and the original 1993 look when the machine was produced. I have two questions?

1. Which process was used by the Williams company in 1993 to give the IJ wire ramps their original gold color (please be as specific as possible)?

2. Who has experience with putting a new gold layer on IJ (or other) wire ramps and what was he result regarding durability and original 1993 look?

All information, experiences and ideas more than welcome!

#2 9 years ago

Send them to Mike Chestnut for plating.

#3 9 years ago

I would imagine the original ramps were brass plated, not powder coated. If you want the original look that's a pretty big distinction, even as nice as powder coats can look these days.

#4 9 years ago

I had mine brass plated and then clearcoated by a local plating company. They look amazing and have held up perfectly since I had them done 5 years ago.

#5 9 years ago

Do this. He usually has a pair "in stock" so when he receives yours he sends you a brand new plated set the next day.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

#6 9 years ago

Also, if you really want to make it look nice, have the apron wire form done in brass too.

#7 9 years ago

gold looks better than brass

#8 9 years ago

To create a durable gold colored layer there is more needed than just plating. Gold plating for example is beautiful looking but since gold is a (very) soft material, the gold layer will not last for a long time when playing regularly. Maybe an extra process after the plating to make it durable?

#9 9 years ago

Mike chestnut handles this perfectly. Send them to him and they will come back looking new. He has been the guy doing most our pinball playing for a while now and may even have a set of these in stock done for quick swap.

#10 9 years ago

I live in the Netherlands and Mike Chestnut is based in the USA so sending the wire ramps to Mike is not practical (shipping fees and even a small chance of the ramps getting lost in the mail). I would really appreciate if Mike or somebody else can give a detailed description of the process the wire ramps should undergo resulting in a durable long lasting original gold color look.

How can I get in touch with Mike?

1 month later
#11 9 years ago

I am another IJ owner in The Netherlands and I'm also looking for a company that can brass plate my wire ramps and flipper legs. Any tips?

2 years later
#12 7 years ago

I would like to know how to restore IJ wire ramps too.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ALY:

I would like to know how to restore IJ wire ramps too.

See:

Quoted from jayhawkai:

http://horsepowerunlimited.net/ - [email protected]

#14 7 years ago

I used brass cleaner and polished the shit out of them. better than new! I did the same for MM. It will take you about 8 hours and it hard work but the end result is worth it.

#15 7 years ago

Definitely send them to Mike Chestnut to be brass plated. Amazing guy and he does top notch work. I'm just trying to snag a Shadow so I have a reason to send him some more stuff!

#16 7 years ago

I don't even know much about Mike Chestnut, but I bought a LOTR from a fellow Pinsider who had the ramps plated by him and they are beautiful!

#17 7 years ago

I would send them to Mike if I would be from US.
Shipping cost from Europe to US and back is a killer for this deal.

@shovelhed, do you have any links for the brass cleaner and polisher you used?

#18 7 years ago

good ol brassO and standard brass polisher paste.

#19 7 years ago

Heres a pic of A MM I did, all hand polished brass.

image.jpg
#20 7 years ago

Yes, but if the brass plating is corroded or has been worn away, you can't polish what ain't there.

Great looking MM, by the way.

#21 7 years ago

You do have to be careful these ramps were completely corroded but thats why you use two products clean the corrison off and then polish them out with a microfiber towel.

#22 7 years ago

On my IJ the wire ramps are worn away. Can see black spots all over. Can that be polished. Probably not if there are missing brass spots.

#23 7 years ago

That depends, ALY. Sometimes it's just grime that's caked on and it can be polished away. Sometimes, the actual plating has been worn of or removed by the corrosion. You really have to attempt to clean them first to discover what is going on under the grime.

I guess this could be just my opinion, but I've seen beautiful, NOS plated ramps in games and they don't even come close to comparing to the job Mike does.

1 week later
#24 7 years ago

What did it cost to get them plated? I have a baywatch that needs them done. Also, did he clean them up before plating them or did you have to do the prep work?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!