Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PhilGreg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

JP_wrinkle.jpg

#1 7 years ago

The top edge of the lock down bar on my JP is rusted as well as the side rails where around the area of the lock down bar. It is a black slightly rough powder coated finish so I'm not sure if I can get a good result touching up with paint.

What would you suggest to fix this? Remove completely (big pain for the side rails) and get professionally stripped and re-powder coated? Buy replacement parts? Is there a good method to touch this up reasonably well with some sanding and painting without having to remove the side rails?

Cheers!

#2 7 years ago

Find a local powder coat guy and spend under $100 and will look like new.
I have found that doing the prep myself or just taking as is...about the same price.

#3 7 years ago

An as-new look would be truly excellent for sure. I'm curious as to if there are any good touch-up techniques that could improve drastically without the hassle and expense of powder coating.

#4 7 years ago

I use rust-oleum textured paint, just sand and prep it really good, let dry. It will feel just like it was powder coated.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=27

#5 7 years ago

Come on, buy the powder coating system at Harbor Freight for about $75. I've been dying to find out how it works. You could be my own personal guinea pig before I make the investment.

Use a heat gun to melt the glue on the rails and run a putty knife underneath to remove them. There's a post here somewhere about that except I think BlackRose used a blow torch.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Come on, buy the powder coating system at Harbor Freight for about $75. I've been dying to find out how it works. You could be my own personal guinea pig before I make the investment.
Use a heat gun to melt the glue on the rails and run a putty knife underneath to remove them. There's a post here somewhere about that except I think BlackRose used a blow torch.

I'm in New Zealand so for me it would be well over the price of getting it done professionally!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from wbarcume:

I use rust-oleum textured paint, just sand and prep it really good, let dry. It will feel just like it was powder coated.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=27

Sounds awesome. I see it's readily available here to I'll pick some up and give it a shot.

#8 7 years ago

I just did mine awhile back and used this stuff: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_wrinkle-plus&153;-vht-paint_7141596-p?searchTerm=vht+wrinkle+paint

I think powder coating is the best option but this is probably the second. To get a uniforn finish I sprayed my parts and let them set out in the hot sun for hours.

The paint has smoothed out a little where my palms rest. Maybe I started playing too soon, IDK. Still, I'm happy with it.

JP_wrinkle.jpg

#9 7 years ago

Yeah Matt that looks pretty good to me. Much better than mine is currently looking.

2 years later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Matt_johnson:

I just did mine awhile back and used this stuff: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_wrinkle-plus&153;-vht-paint_7141596-p?searchTerm=vht+wrinkle+paint
I think powder coating is the best option but this is probably the second. To get a uniforn finish I sprayed my parts and let them set out in the hot sun for hours.
The paint has smoothed out a little where my palms rest. Maybe I started playing too soon, IDK. Still, I'm happy with it.
JP_wrinkle.jpg

Hi,
I came across this thread because I'm restoring my TFTC side rails and lockdown bar. I got the VHT temp you used on your JP, and followed the instructions on the can which say to lay at least 3 heavy coats, 20 minutes apart.
I don't like the results because I feel there's too much texture.
I was wondering whether you laid heavt or light coats on yours.
And since the thread is 2 years old, how has that paint been holding up, would you still recommend it?

Thanks
Phil

#11 4 years ago

I have used this stuff when restoring (or adding new) interior car panels and it seems to be holding up well. Now granted it wouldn't get the same "use" as the lock down bar would but it gives a rough feel. You simply a coats to how thick you want it to be (it covers well with other spray paint as well if you just want a light texture).

http://www.semproducts.com/refinish-flexible-coatings/texture-coating

#12 4 years ago

Thanks for the info... actually I didn't wait for an answer, I sanded the lockdown bar "pretty smooth" (did not try to get all the paint off) and redid the VHT paint, but in lighter coats this time (the first time I had 3 real thick ones). It's drying under the sun right now, we'll see what it looks like.
Didn't look like crap in the first place, but just pretty far from the actual Stern finish.

#13 4 years ago

Looks like that did the trick. The paint has been drying for close to 2 hours but it looks pretty much like what I'd expect.
The only issue is that you have to lay it down not too thick, but the can outputs a pretty thick stream so either you go real fast or far away, but being too far it's hard to be consistent.
Result is not HEP perfect, but it's a destroyed machine I'm bringing to player status, so that'll do the trick.

3 weeks later
#14 4 years ago

I ended up redoing it and I got it down solid this time.
I put my lockdown bar next to my MET Pro one and it looks almost identical.
Painted it in the hot sun, but I had just taken the bar out of the house so it wasn't hot yet. Laid two thick coats, a few (about 5) minutes apart. Let it sit all day in the sun.

It looks like all cans don't behave exactly alike. Also, when you can see the different passes wet, don't think they'll blend in when they dry, they won't.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairport, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside