100_2776.JPG
100_2777.JPG
100_2775.JPG
100_2768-863.JPG
100_2771.JPG
pin2.jpg
pin11.jpg
#1 9 years ago

hi I am a newbie to pinside and have just got my hands on my first pinball machine, its need to be brought back to life. I have a few tech question about the machine to get it working again. I will post some pics for you guys to see the insides and what the problem might be.

#2 9 years ago

Welcome to Pinside.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from wez:

hi I am a newbie to pinside and have just got my hands on my first pinball machine, its need to be brought back to life. I have a few tech question about the machine to get it working again. I will post some pics for you guys to see the insides and what the problem might be.

Welcome aboard.

You might want to post tech questions in the "EM Tech" sub forum of this forum you posted to.

#4 9 years ago

Pictures always help so please take some pictures.

#5 9 years ago

thanks for the welcome. i'm trying to upload pics but it won't work, what format and max size must the file be to upload?

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from wez:

thanks for the welcome. i'm trying to upload pics but it won't work, what format and max size must the file be to upload?

Are you using the manually select files(s) to upload option at the bottom?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Welcome to Pinside.

Quoted from hoov:

Welcome aboard.

Howdy Newbie!

Ken

#8 9 years ago

Wez,

Try possibly to reduce the pic size to less than a mb.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from wez:

Are you using Internet Explorer? I found at some point, IE stopped working (XP user) as to picture uploads whether drag and drop or browse function and I had to switch over to Chrome to upload photos. You might wish to try it if only for the uploads.

#10 9 years ago

thanks guyz ,i'll try it again.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from wez:

i'm trying to upload pics but it won't work

This site seems to work best with Chrome.

#12 9 years ago

pin11.jpgpin11.jpgpin11.jpgpin11.jpg

#13 9 years ago

here's a pic ,where the extra chute relay is missing and they connected some wires together. will i need this relay to get the machine to work. what do you guys think?

#14 9 years ago

pin2.jpgpin2.jpg
this is the other problem ,this is how i got it, take a look at the 2 switches that are just laying loose.should i replace them in there original place ,witch i think is 2 b

#15 9 years ago

100_2771.JPG100_2771.JPG
is this fine the way they connected these wires

#16 9 years ago

100_2768-863.JPG100_2768-863.JPG
i reloaded this pic cause its easier to see whats going on

#17 9 years ago

many thanks guyz ,google chrome is the answer to get the pics to upload

#18 9 years ago

Do you have a schematic? If not, you need to order one from www.pbresource.com

Read this:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Gottlieb.C2.AE_Score_Motor

match it up to your schematic and you can figure out where to put your switch stack.

Regarding your extra chute relay - my gut feel is that you are OK for now. It looks like your bus wires are twisted together, so you don't have a break in the feed lines. You won't have "extra chute" function, but you probably want to be on free play anyway.

#19 9 years ago

yes i need to be on free play cause the mechanism on the coin door is missing

#20 9 years ago

If you're going to leave those wires like they are, insulate them somehow. A bit of tape temporary, just so they can't short.
Those switches by the score motor might have been to pulse the replay unit for multiple games per coin through the extra chute. You need to see if there is a card stapled on the cabinet side by the score motor. If there is, it will tell you what the various score motor switches do. If there isn't a card, are there staples which once attached one? You need a schematic anyway. I'm not sure on a game that old where the score motor switch description is. I know it's on the cabinet side on my 1962 game.

#21 9 years ago

thanks for your help nick.
what do you guyz think of the wires that are connected to the score motor?

#22 9 years ago

in the pic where the chute relay is missing, the two wires ,red and black where connected together with a thin piece of wire and the score motor spun ,when i took the two apart ,the motor would stop. should i reconnect them?

#23 9 years ago

another thing i noticed ,was the reset relay would engage and stay like that while the score motor ran all the time.
i'm relying on you guyz with your past experience fixing pins to try and help me get this machine working again, i dont have any schematics ,i live in south africa and buy them from a sorce in the usa is a mission.

#24 9 years ago

Mate, order one from the pinball resource. You'll be lucky to get a Gottlieb schematic without buying one, they're licensed.
Normally the reset relay is energised whilst the game resets. When reset is complete, it de energises.
You can see a description of the start up sequence here.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Start_Up_Sequences

#25 9 years ago

Welcome to the Pinside. A schematic will help you greatly. Get a hold of one if you can.

#26 9 years ago

i have just serviced everything,all the leaf switches ,mechanisms and checked all wires,contacts ,bulbs and coils.

100_2775.JPG100_2775.JPG
#27 9 years ago

Mate, on the hundred thousand unit, I can see two wiper snow shoes connected together and to a rivet. The other end of the wiper, is there one that is connected to nothing. It's hard to tell from the image? I see a wire from one to the rivet, I can't see a wire to the other.

#28 9 years ago

i took sum close-ups , hope you can make out whats wrong if there is ,let me know please.

100_2777.JPG100_2777.JPG
#29 9 years ago

100_2776.JPG100_2776.JPG

#30 9 years ago

No mate, I can see the wires now, it all looks like it's original. Couldn't see one wire in the previous images. You really need to order a schematic from somebody, I suggest PBR. It's going to be awfully hard to sort your game without one. At around $16 plus shipping, the information one contains is for nothing. A working game + a few Dollars versus something to look at for sod all.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from wez:

100_2776.JPG 168 KB

In this image, front right snow shoe doesn't look lined up with the rivet very well, all the others do. Need to check it, it's so hard to tell from pictures.

#32 9 years ago

i got the machine working ! i'll post pic's as i restore the pin

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
490 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-gottlieb-lightning-ball-1959 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.