(Topic ID: 93664)

Restoring games with Wood Veneer - Looking for input!

By meSz

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08703.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixpakmopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

In the phase of restoring my Goalee game and I have come to the point where I am going to restore the cabinet. The veneer on the cabinet is in pretty good shape with a little chunks of veneer missing at the bottom of the cabinet. The good is that the places where the veneer is missing is painted. So my initial thought was to replace the veneer but with 98% of the veneer looking good I think it's a waste so I then thought to use wood filler (putty), sand it and then it would be painted. Figured I would look for input from those on here for any ideas. Thanks!

I am a woodworker and would replace the missing areas with veneer (not entire veneer just a patch AKA a Dutchman). I made this suggestion to someone else on here and he was told to use bondo instead. From what I know that is what he did. Not sure why so many people are convinced that if it comes out of a can it is the better solution. Wood and wood glue are going to adhere better than a 1/16" layer of bondo to a wood surface. You can get birch,maple, etc at many stores sold as edge banding in widths up to 2" or so which looks like it would work for you. If you want to cover postage I can send you something that will work for the painted over areas.

Ed

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sixpakmopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-games-with-wood-veneer-looking-for-input?tu=sixpakmopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.