• Latest reply 8 years ago by wiredoug
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

New_Grounding_Straps.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I guess my question here pertains to what metal is used. I am restoring a Bally Power Play and the left lane to the upper playfield is in not so wonderful condition. It has a significant ball groove (which is not really a big deal) and is bent/deformed (bigger deal) from when someone removed it and mylared the playfield. They pounded the nails back in and missed a few whacks, plus it was a little deformed from re-bending the bends unintentionally adding new bends to the proper bend.

Without seeking advice I went ahead and removed the lane and the rivets holding it to the brackets and tried to straighten it as much as possible. I've used a forming hammer to get the ugly creases out and am now at the sanding/polishing stage. I don't see any signs of rust but am curious... is this strip of metal (1" x 16 3/4") stainless steel or mild steel? I don't want to put a bunch of effort into getting it to a mirror finish only to see it rust in a matter of weeks. I know where I can pick up a 1" strip of stainless steel locally, (which would entail rigging up a jig for the bend and drilling holes) but if this piece is already stainless I feel I can save it.

Has anyone run into this before? I'd like some feedback on which direction to go.

Thanks in advance,
Don

#2 8 years ago

maybe consider the option of just getting one from another playfield?

#3 8 years ago

I would but haven't found any available sadly

#4 8 years ago

keep an eye on ebay .. its really hard to get a backglass for so they get parted out from time to time.

#5 8 years ago

Pics of the part help. A lot of those could be interchangeable form the spare parts bins folks have laying around.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Soop:

I don't see any signs of rust but am curious... is this strip of metal (1" x 16 3/4") stainless steel or mild steel?

It's steel plated with copper then chromed.

That's why you can't polish out the line once it hits the copper layer.

Here is how to make new guides:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-new-ball-guides-from-scratch-vids-guide

#7 8 years ago

VID!! That is an amazing guide! Thanks you confirmed my suspicions that it was plated steel. I bought a copper/nickel brush plating kit for the coin chute and briefly thought of using it on the lane guide but really ... the Bally Line of Death would be back in short order. By the way, top work on those SBM guides, a baby slip roller is on my wish list now.

It's no secret they cut some corners back in the day but for the life of me I don't understand why they wouldn't have just used stainless in the first place. A little off-topic but to illustrate that point are the grounding straps, just made of flat steel with slip on vinyl sleeves. Several of mine were rusted due to having beverage/cleaner finding their way in the sleeve. I contacted a company called VEM (http://www.vemstraps.com/custom-solutions.html) and they produced some very nice braided, completely sheathed 1/4" braids with lugs. New Grounding Straps.jpgNew Grounding Straps.jpg

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is how to make new guides:

Awesome post! I told santa i need a slip roller.. he said he loves your work too vid

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-early-bally-solid-state-lane-guides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.