Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I've finished my Funhouse restoration, which turned out spectacular (if I don't say so myself! ). And since EMs are as much of a mystery to me as SS games were just a few short months ago, I've been thinking about doing a restoration on an EM...Nip-It, to be exact.

So...you restoration and/or EM guys: I know there are different challenges in restoring an EM, like stenciling the cabinet vs. decals, etc. But how tough is it to figure out how the relays, scoring reels, etc. work, and how different is the stuff under the playfield?

And is there anybody who would restore a Nip-It playfield? Is it difficult to get EM parts?

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated while I decide if this is something I want to go forward with. Thanks in advance.

#2 8 years ago

You can read my challenges restoring a 1960's EM, my first, here:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/my_first_full_pinball_restore.shtml

I had the same feeling after restoring my Expo as you had after restoring your Funhouse. Besides, if I can do it, you probably can too. Please, just don't make the same mistakes I did!

If it's the mechanics that have you stopped in your tracks, don't worry about that too much:

There are people here to help you.
There are a lot of resources on the Internet including YouTube.
If you can properly gap make switches to make and break switches to break you're most of the way toward winning the EM mech war.

Parts can be hard to get, depending of course on the part you need, but easier than trying to find some defunct IC or spider chip for a SS. Most parts on an EM can be removed, cleaned, polished and replaced. I've even made a few parts myself.

Of course, there is this resource on Pinside as well to help you out:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

Nip-It is a great, classic game. I say gopher it and have some fun while you are at it!

#3 8 years ago

Best part about restoring an EM is that when you're done you have an EM.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Best part about restoring an EM is that when you're done you have an Real Pinball.

Fixed that for you

#5 8 years ago

I started with EM (3 and counting) and now have a SS bally playboy and have been taking my time with that one but having a blast.

I say go for it. If you can figure out anything about an SS by reading a schematic you will have a fine time with the EM- in fact its "easier" because everything is just hanging off the game for you to stare at and watch as you trouble shoot it- switches look like switches and once your figure out your first circuit and get the hang of the logic its fairly easy to start diagnosing issues on your own. Just be absolutely, 100% certain, that you can buy or receive the full schematic with the game you get. Gottlieb schematics are NOT public domain but are available widely through PBResource.com (sorry- its beer time I guess).

Else- you probably own a soldering iron and a volt meter- aside from that and a few switch files your probably all ready equipped to work on the game. I actually find that the mechanical logic of the EM design is very captivating- its really quite fun to take one completely apart piece by piece and restore them. The VAST majority of problems are trivial once your figure out how they work and can use the schematic. In a perfect world your first EM would start a ball correctly before you started work on it- the most complex set of events is basically that- after the game is actually started any issues beyond that are typically localized to a single switch being out of adjustment.

GO FOR IT.

They are actually super fun to play, its like pinball distilled to it pure essence, rules are so simple that if you can read the words on the play field your basically there- but the challenge of rolling a good EM over is actually high, and with short ball times (typically) the ONE MORE DAMN GAME phenomena becomes incredible. Super fun party machines, everyone gets it- the noises and bells and chimes fill the room and its pretty cool.

Oh... and did I forget to mention they smell awesome once you get a few playing for a couple hours- just mechanical sparky goodness- its almost Lightning-ey!

#6 8 years ago

Your first rule of EM shop out is to inspect everything, including every single switch.

Each mechanism and switch has a proper set up. Once you go through that and make sure mechanisms are functioning cleanly, switches are set up properly, and you have lightly filed each switch contact, you will identify 98% of the issues your game may have. This is not to say you will not have any issues after going this route, but you will have a relatively stable base against which to now diagnose.

Keep in mind that most switches don't need adjusting. But I do recommend lightly filing, with a fine metal file, all switches to clean away any corrosion or pitting.

You will find subtle defects along the way that are easier to find in mass than trying to troubleshoot as a beginner. If you are not comfortable with the mechanical or setup aspect of each device or switch, don't do it.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-an-em-vs-an-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.