(Topic ID: 73043)

Restoring a TFTC CPU/MPU massive problems

By Danje

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello all! I'm pretty new to pinballs and new to this board. My name's Danje, 37, from Germany...

It's always been a childhood dream to have my own pin(s) and I finally bought one. I was looking for a machine that I could restore over winter time, so I wasn't looking for something in working condition, but rather a pin that needed a little TLC. Long story short, I got myself a TFTC which I had only seen on pictures, knowing that it would come with some alkaline corrosion across the MPU... and boy did it come with some corrosion

I had to replace pretty much everything in the corrosion zone, from RAM to ROM, PIAs to caps and resistors, had to restore traces and put bridges, where traces could no be saved.

I'm at the stage now where the pin plays just fine - all the lights, switches, coils etc. seem to be ok. However, I'm dealing with massive display and sound problems and I've been stuck with them for about 10 days now.

Here's a breakdown, I'll try to be as detailed as I can:

-Turning the pin on, the MPU boots ok and the pin outputs the greeting message. Instead of "No pay'm, no game" it just says "No..." however, with the blanking kicking in and interrupting the sound. I heard from some members on a German from that this could be ignored and some of their machines do just the same. So maybe no worries here.

-As of last night, I had some signs of life on the DMD. Nothing could really be read, but it definitely showed some animations on the right side (only). Very dim though. I did of course check voltages, ribbon cables etc. and the display
as well as the controller seem fine. Wiggling on the +5V power line sometimes gives me nice, bright horizontal lines.

-Booking credits the sound plays just fine. "Put in another quarter", "Tales from the crypt", etc.

-The game starts ok. I can play, but I never get sound effects or music. Only sometimes and randomly some music starts, but gets stuck after a second or so. It usually ends in a weird loop or sine-wave. I strongly assume the sound roms are hence ok, but whatever triggers them is messed up (I replaced the corresponding PIA aswell).

I triple checked everything so far, hoping it's just some stupid connection problem after all, but I'm currently absolutely stuck.

If any of you guys can point me into the right direction, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Danje

#2 10 years ago

Find the topic started with TFTC members for some additional info and also Russ Meyers who knows this game very well.

#3 10 years ago

These sound more like power supply board issues. The PSB on these Data Easts are usually cooked. This will affect your DMD, bootup process and sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-tftc-cpumpu-massive-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.