(Topic ID: 130135)

restoring a pin is f#ckin' difficult.....

By aveamike

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Seatmandan
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC05481_(resized).JPG
    DSC05503_(resized).JPG
    DSC05496_(resized).JPG
    DSC05494_(resized).JPG
    DSC05492_(resized).JPG
    DSC05485_(resized).JPG
    DSC05482_(resized).JPG
    DSC05480_(resized).JPG
    51J8PAJ9MZL__SX355_.jpg
    51J8PAJ9MZL__SX355_.jpg
    kalashnikov AK47 designer.jpg
    before-after.jpg
    image-875.jpg
    image-666.jpg
    image.jpg
    image-392.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

who only do a restore once in a great while, I think the Bosch is the choice.

I totally agree! The one thing to remember is sand paper. Festool sand paper is awesome and last a long time . You might make up the difference in price with sand paper waste .

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I totally agree! The one thing to remember is sand paper. Festool sand paper is awesome and last a long time .

No joke. This was shocking to me when I first got mine. I can do an entire cabinet with just 1 or 2 sheets if I am careful. I have already used my Festool for 4 different cabinets and the time it has saved me and how little mess there was when I was done has made it worth the price.

And I am not 'loaded' by any stretch of the imagination, I just used some of the profit from a few machines I sold and earmarked it for a Festool setup. Best decision I have made in a while.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

This one gets better reviews than the Festool in a lot of woodworking forums: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-6-in-Random-Orbit-Sander-1250DEVS/100609296

Found this at Amazon for $245 w/free shipping and you get $50 off at checkout for Father's day sale. That's the cheapest I've seen this. Just ordered one.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1250DEVS-6-Inch-Random-Sander/dp/B0001408SO/ref=sr_1_1

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-

Yeah, Mikhail Kalashnikov was sure known for his laziness....
    /s
    kalashnikov AK47 designer.jpg

I got a kick out of this reply... I own a Romanian AK, and if you've ever fired one, you know its a stretch to even call it good.

Being nearly all stamped steel, I think the real reason for its popularity is that its cheap to make. The much bandied "loose tolerances" that make it so reliable also make it wildly inaccurate.

#105 8 years ago
    Quoted from rx3:

Found this at Amazon for $245 w/free shipping and you get $50 off at checkout for Father's day sale. That's the cheapest I've seen this. Just ordered one.

That is only one part of the system, what filtration system you use?

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Being nearly all stamped steel, I think the real reason for its popularity is that its cheap to make.

That and you can bury the thing in sand, pull it out, and actually fire it.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

That and you can bury the thing in sand, pull it out, and actually fire it.

Did you intentionally edit out my sentence about reliability just to tell me its reliable?

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

That is only one part of the system, what filtration system you use?

My shop vac is more than adequate for 1 restore every couple years. With this: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC005-5-Meter-Vacuum-Hose/dp/B0000AV78B/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_2

51J8PAJ9MZL__SX355_.jpg51J8PAJ9MZL__SX355_.jpg

#109 8 years ago

Dup

#110 8 years ago

What I find incredibly difficult is the electronics. Despite how easy the bulletproofing threads make it seem, the reality is that trying to figure out what is wrong when something is screwed up on a board is far worse then poor paint on a playfield.

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from mark532011:

What I find incredibly difficult is the electronics. Despite how easy the bulletproofing threads make it seem, the reality is that trying to figure out what is wrong when something is screwed up on a board is far worse then poor paint on a playfield.

Yep, I've found IC problems to certainly be the most difficult to diagnose. I'm starting to see why some people are saying EM machines are easier to troubleshoot (everything is basically just point-to-point connections). I've been attempting to figure out what's wrong with a non-booting system 80 MPU for the past several weeks.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Did you intentionally edit out my sentence about reliability just to tell me its reliable?

No, just stating that reliability is a big part of the AK's success as well. I didn't really get that from your post. Would a cheap to make, but unreliable AK have been as successful? I don't think so...

7 months later
    #113 8 years ago

Used the Bosch 1250DEVS Rotax sander recently. I started with 80 grit and finished with 220. It took me 5 minutes per side on the head, and about 15 minutes per side on the cabinet and about 2 minutes on the front of the cab. went thru 2 80 grit sand pads and 2 220s. I have this thing hooked up to my craftsman shop-vac with the 5m bosch hose. It is amazing.

DSC05480_(resized).JPGDSC05480_(resized).JPG

DSC05482_(resized).JPGDSC05482_(resized).JPG

DSC05485_(resized).JPGDSC05485_(resized).JPG

DSC05492_(resized).JPGDSC05492_(resized).JPG

DSC05494_(resized).JPGDSC05494_(resized).JPG

DSC05496_(resized).JPGDSC05496_(resized).JPG

DSC05503_(resized).JPGDSC05503_(resized).JPG

DSC05481_(resized).JPGDSC05481_(resized).JPG

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-pin-is-fckin-difficult/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.