Flipper assemblies placement.jpg
Right slingshot switches.jpg
Left slingshot switches.jpg
Flippers assemblies wiring.jpg
Side_rails_pressure.jpg
stn_assembly.jpg
277715-i.jpg
Left_flipper_in_up_position.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

While I wait for the connectors to arrive, here's a fun mystery. My new shooter assembly seems too short. I believe it's a universal size (7-7/8 inches rod) and I think I installed it correctly, but I miss 2cm.
Shooter rod.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
I tossed away the rusty original one, and didn't take pictures of that specific part. Opinions ?

i did the same thing on my seawitch. the rod was about 1/4 inch longer so I derusted it and buffed it. hopefully you can find the old one

3 weeks later
#149 8 years ago

rubbing alcohol works but dulls the finish

#152 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

I can't say I really care about the finish of electronic cards, inside the machine where I'll hardly ever look once I'm done with the work. Then maybe I shouldn't care about a bit of crap or flux excess in the first place. A good thing that I'm really slow and didn't do anything yet ...
On a totally unrelated subject, I've been wondering about the two pinholes below the flippers. There's no pins on my machine, and I don't know if there's supposed to be ones, or if those holes are just there to help align the flippers (if so, with or without the rubbers ?).

the thing about flux buildup (which isnt the case on your board) is that it may hide a solder tail that shorts two pins together. that board looks good though

#162 8 years ago

speaking of flippers. I am in the process of restoring an ebd. seawitch, centaur and f2k. Whats the best solution for flippage? I have heard use older flipper parts on the bally's. the linear flipper is not desired. Thats about all i can remember. Well that and steve young would yell at me if I didn't disguise my order somehow.disguise2-0b006540e4514c0c2e3fb0415b59ddceb050a9d5-s300-c85.jpgdisguise2-0b006540e4514c0c2e3fb0415b59ddceb050a9d5-s300-c85.jpg

Gonna mix in a taf restore too but the question doesn't apply. just wanted to throw it on the end here so you all know how awesome i am...

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

speaking of flippers. I am in the process of restoring an ebd. seawitch, centaur and f2k. Whats the best solution for flippage? I have heard use older flipper parts on the bally's. the linear flipper is not desired. Thats about all i can remember. Well that and steve young would yell at me if I didn't disguise my order somehow.disguise2-0b006540e4514c0c2e3fb0415b59ddceb050a9d5-s300-c85.jpg
Gonna mix in a taf restore too but the question doesn't apply. just wanted to throw it on the end here so you all know how awesome i am...

I found it. Of course it was in Vids guide. thanks vid!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/11#post-1886126

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

The header removal from all the boards is slowly but surely driving me mad. The last row resisted all my attempts, despite removing the plastic bits and reflowing the pins with "fresh" solder. I ended up pulling a few pins cold with pliers, only to discover it took the metal pad away with them (top side). How do I fix it ? Maybe the pads under the boards are enough (I know it won't) ?

not sure if those are double sided board but if you post a pic of your dilemma i might be able to help you

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

Top side.jpg
Back side.jpg

need to see the top side unless doo knows theres no traces up there but I don't see pulled foil in these pics

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

These are your options as I see them:
1) Send board(s) out for professional repair
2) Buy replacement board(s)
3) Buy the necessary tools for the job

Option 4: sell me your nine-ball

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

Nice try but I put too much work and money on it to sell it now. It is my favourite pinball machine and it's no coincidence that I bought that specific machine. I wouldn't have bothered (myself and my wife) for any other one. I know I'll have to go all the way no matter how tedious it is.

You gave me lots of useful advices since I started this restoration dothedoo, but boy do each one hurt my wallet, and some of my sanity !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GIPKOW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC

#188 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Have you used that desoldering pump? I've used this one and it stinks. amazon.com link »
This style is good and I can personally vouch that it works. amazon.com link »

YUP i HAVE THE ONE i SENT THE LINK TO AND IT WORKS FINE. I HAVE GONE THROUGH 9 OR 10 IN MY CAREER AS A TV TECH BACK IN THE 90'S. NORMALLY THE GASKET IN THE SUCTION CHAMBER FAILS BUT FOR 3 BUCKS THIS ONE HAS WORKED GREAT. IF IT FAILS i'LL BUY A NEW ONE

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

but the machine still seems to have many issues

for those you will need to replace all the wires in each harness with 16G braided copper wire with black vinyl sleeve

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 959.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-nine-ball?tu=rcbrown316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.