IMG_6918 (resized).JPG
IMG_6924 (resized).JPG
IMG_6908 (resized).JPG
IMG_6758 (resized).JPG
IMG_6922 (resized).JPG
IMG_6923 (resized).JPG
IMG_6925 (resized).JPG
IMG_6648 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just finished this for a friend of mine, and I was kinda pleased with the results. So I thought I would share it with the group.

So what we started with was a very pitted and flaky Bride of Pinbot helmet assembly. Here is the before shot. As you can tell, the finish has come off it in several places. My goal is to put a new silver-chrome finish on it.

Here is the starting pointHere is the starting point

So first off I will talk a little bit about the paint system I will be using. It is call Alclad, and was developed for use on scale models. I have used it many times over the years, and the stuff is great. Here is a P-51c I did years ago that is now the gate guardian to my work bench.

IMG_6925 (resized).JPGIMG_6925 (resized).JPG

This Alclad comes in many shades of silver that can be used for the paneling effects on model aircraft. For this job I chose the Chrome color.
Alclad is a very hot laquer, and can only be applied with an airbrush. I have a Paasche dual action airbrush that I use in scale modeling, and sometimes to touch up playfields. The paint comes in small 1 oz bottles, and cost about $9 per bottle. It can be purchased as better hobby shops, and on Amazon.

IMG_6923 (resized).JPGIMG_6923 (resized).JPG

IMG_6922 (resized).JPGIMG_6922 (resized).JPG

So I started off removing the old finish. It came off very easily with 800 grit wet-dry sand paper. You want to get the surface as smooth as possible before putting on the base coat.

IMG_6758 (resized).JPGIMG_6758 (resized).JPG

All Alclad finishes require a base coat. For Chrome, the suggested base coat is an oil based enamel gloss black. Alclad sells a quality gloss black that you can usually pick up a the hobby shop when you get paint.

Spraying gloss enamel is tricky. If you spray with too much pressure, or are too far away from the model when you spray, it will flash before it gets to the subject, and look dull. To get a good coat, you have to put it on thick and wet. One way to get around this problem is to sand and polish the base coat before you put on the chrome top coat.

So here is the helmet after the first base coat.
IMG_6908 (resized).JPGIMG_6908 (resized).JPG

To be continued.....

#2 5 years ago

As you can see, the base coat did not go on glossy like I had hoped, but there is still a way to fix this. Wait for the paint to cure for a couple of days, and then polish it out to a shine. For this project, I started with a 2500 grit, and then went to polishing cloths of 4000 grit, 6000 grit and finally 12000 grit. Use lot of water when you sand to keep the sand paper from gumming up.

IMG_6924 (resized).JPGIMG_6924 (resized).JPG

After a good polishing, you cant quite see yourself in it, but it looks a lot better.

IMG_6918 (resized).JPGIMG_6918 (resized).JPG

Not it is time to apply the top coat. The color is supsended in the paint, so shake it up well before starting. The directions state it should be sprayed at 15 to 12 psi. This worked out well for me.

IMG_6919 (resized).JPGIMG_6919 (resized).JPG

The laquer is IMO easier to spray than oil based enamel. It is much thinner, and as long as you spray it a little on the heavy side, it won't flash until it gets to the subject. it also lays down very well. The bad part is the stuff goes on very thin, and you don't really want to use this stuff anywhere it will get rubbed against. Also because it is very thin, every surface imperfection will show. This is why it is so important that your base coat be sanded and polished.

IMG_6920 (resized).JPGIMG_6920 (resized).JPG

the end result does not look as shiny as the original, but I kinda dig the almost steel look it has. It certainly looks better than what I started with.

IMG_6921 (resized).JPGIMG_6921 (resized).JPG

--The Uncivil Engineer

#7 5 years ago

Well thanks for the compliments. Given that this part is pretty much unobtainum these days, I figured someone might be able to use this information to restore their old helmet.

#12 5 years ago

Well I finished reinstalling it this evening, and it looks pretty good.5FB2CD02-2A5B-4223-933C-77ED60A0C632 (resized).jpeg5FB2CD02-2A5B-4223-933C-77ED60A0C632 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#17 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks for sharing the use of Black under Chrome.....I find it makes a big difference!
Did you mask the Williams Logo, or were repros available?

Repos are available from marco.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoring-a-bride-of-pinbot-helmet?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.