(Topic ID: 11819)

Restored or UnRestored! Which is worth more?

By Jeff_PHX_AZ

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zarco
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Done 3-793.JPG
    Before 1.JPG
    images.jpeg

#1 9 years ago

I'll will say that a unrestored original condition not modded pinball is worth more then a restored modded machine! Just like with vehicles, I can careless if it have shiny new rims, aftermarket exhaust it dont make a vehicle worth more money vs. a vehicle in original condition unmolested. I think the same with pinball machines! A little wear here and there just adds some character to the machine, especially older pre 90's. Of course a thrashed PF or beat up cab effects value, but a little wear from age shouldn't. Your guys thoughts on this? It's just something I was curious about is all!

#2 9 years ago

I would prefer it to be restored, especially if it is an A-list pin like AFM, MM, TAF, TZ, etc.

#3 9 years ago

Since the title is a question, the answer is by far a restored pin. A Chris Hutchin's (HEP) restored pin is way more valuable than an original pin. Not even close, not even debatable.

The only, and I mean only time an original is more is if the restore was done super crappy.

#4 9 years ago

Depends who's doing the restoration. Are you saying you'd rather have a stock 67 fastback mustang with some light rust and scratches over one that has been meticulously restored by a professional? Sorry, I'm out. Restored for me.

#5 9 years ago

I would even be willing to take it one step further and argue that I'd rather have a high-end restoration done by a well respected restorer than a NIB version of the same pin. For example, I'd take a HEP MM over a NIB MM without hesitation. The HEP MM will look better, play better, and be more bullet proof.

#6 9 years ago

You're asking opinions.

I'd say a mint unmolested HUO pin is worth more to some than a restored game. Why? There won't be any more made, ever. A restored game? Restorers keep cranking them out left and right.

There are folks who want HUO
    There are folks who want restored.

Both have money. Both are different people, who typically have zero interest in the other choice.

Collect what you like. Enjoy it. Add curb feelers. Pimp it out with LEDs, an 8 track player, a gaudy topper or ten.

I restore my own games, personally. The way I want them. Not saying that games restored by the top 5 restorers around the country aren't nice - they are damn nice - but if I don't do it myself, it isn't as special to me.

An unmolested original might be nice, but that wouldn't be much fun for me. I buy pins that need work, because I enjoy doing the work!

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

if the restore was done super crappy.

Lots and lots of those out there... LOTS !

Jim

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I would even be willing to take it one step further and argue that I'd rather have a high-end restoration done by a well respected restorer than a NIB version of the same pin. For example, I'd take a HEP MM over a NIB MM without hesitation. The HEP MM will look better, play better, and be more bullet proof.

Absolutely.

The guy who recently bought a NIB Diner had it sent directly to Chris.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

You're asking opinions.
    I'd say a mint unmolested HUO pin is worth more to some than a restored game. Why? There won't be any more made, ever. A restored game? Restorers keep cranking them out left and right.
    There are folks who want HUO
    There are folks who want restored.
    Both have money. Both are different people, who typically have zero interest in the other choice.
    Collect what you like. Enjoy it. Add curb feelers. Pimp it out with LEDs, an 8 track player, a gaudy topper or ten.
    I restore my own games, personally. The way I want them. Not saying that games restored by the top 5 restorers around the country aren't nice - they are damn nice - but if I don't do it myself, it isn't as special to me.
    An unmolested original might be nice, but that wouldn't be much fun for me. I buy pins that need work, because I enjoy doing the work!

Well said.

#10 9 years ago

I don't care too much about restored pins simply because I can't afford them. Not saying I won't be there someday though. For now I don't really care about anything but the playfield, you don't play the cabinet and don't see it while playing. Slight imperfections in the playfield are ok with me, so long as it doesn't affect the game play.

I like to play...

images.jpeg

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Jim

True

Some people confuse a shop job with a restoration. Some people call a simple wipe down a shop job. These "restorations" or "shop" jobs just inflate the value of a pin to the point a buyer is better off if the seller had not touched it.

Sadly, the word restored is thrown around too lightly.

If the OP is talking about one of your pins, or Chris' pins, or any other reputable, best of the best restorers, then a real restored pin is even better than a nice HUO pin.

I don't know what Jeff's definition of restored is.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Sadly, the word restored is thrown around too lightly.

I also believe that the term "HUO" is also thrown around too much too....
    Restored VS true HUO = a trust issue that one can ownly TRULY answer after getting it back home and playing it about 20 times.

I have owned a HUO SWE1 Kit, and it was beautiful in every way. I also owned 2 differerent T3's (they both looked the clean). The T3's played remarkable different - if you were a player, you would tell quickly which one was better. The truth is, if you were an inspector, you wouldn't notice the difference (I am both).

Just do your homework - inspect the machine and play it, you'll feel it - don't rush into a purchase, and you'll know if it was right.

#13 9 years ago

I like unrestored machines that are in perfect mechanical order. Medium wearisome ok by me, but restored is definitely worth way more. And I generally start restoring them the second I get them just to slow down time a bit

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

jimjim66 said:if the restore was done super crappy.
    Jim

I knew u couldn't pass that up Jim

#17 9 years ago

Personally playfield wear is a no no for me unless the price reflects this, would prefer restored if I can afford.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well said. I'm in full agreement as long as we're talking about a 'high-end' restoration firm like HEP, Treasure Cove or Chad Keller.

1 year later
    #19 7 years ago

I prefer well shopped, cleaned, fully working un-restored. I think the wear tells the story of the machine. Maybe some repair if the damaged area effects game play. It seams to me that clear coating will alter the game play from original. The other thought is, how are these clear coats going to hold up over the years? Minor playfield wear does not bother me that much. How ever I do like my cars fully restored. Don't know why, just my two cents.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

The other thought is, how are these clear coats going to hold up over the years?

You should contact some people from this thread. They probably could tell you in the two years since they posted.

#22 7 years ago

Guess I could have started a new thread.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Guess I could have started a new thread.

Probably. I was just kidding around.

#24 7 years ago

Well wasn't much choice concerning restoration on this one. It was dead and now it's back.

Before 1.JPG Done 3-793.JPG
    #25 7 years ago

Unrestored original is worth more, if in exceptional original condition. Like this NOS Paragon playfield:

ebay.com link: New Old Stock NOS Bally Paragon pinball playfield

#26 7 years ago

If we are talking about a restore from the top guys HEP, Keller, Kelly, McCune ect then its not even close ill take the restored all day long! If you have never seen the work that these guys do you need to! its amazing & better than new IMHO.

#27 7 years ago

My vote is for unrestored, original condition. I personally don't mind a few
    scratches in the cabinet, I-heart-JJ scratched in the glass or other things some
    find objectionable. Gives the machines character and shows that they have
    been enjoyed by others. The only time I'll do a complete restoration is if its
    really rough. And that represents a large part of my collection. Mods seriously
    detract from value too IMO.
    Steve

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside