Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NJGecko
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4166061_700b.jpg
    mussel car.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

My first post on Pinside. I have been off of the pinball scene for several years. Just started looking for another game on here and other sites. My gripe is seeing everyone listing as Restored or restored/(Shopped). Really?
    I worked in the auto-body field for many years and help several people do REAL restorations on classic muscle cars and have shopped out/repaired dozens of pinball machines in my life. I do not take the word "restored" lightly. It seams like everyone and their brother including every back yard weekend garage dealers are using this word as a selling gimmick. I'm a little shocked that Pinside has this in so many listings. I'm sure this has been posted before so sorry for the repeat topic.
    Shopping a playfield and adding new balls, playfield glass and legs doesn't mean restored.
    Ok so you touched up a few nicks in the paint and put a new backglass in as well. Nope still not restored. How about the word "refurbished" This would be more correct.
    My definition of a restored pin would be nothing less then a complete tear·down to wood, both the cab and playfield top and bottom. Every part comes off, taken apart, cleaned or replaced. This includes all wiring. All wearable parts replaced. Ie: coil sleeves, springs, linkage and others. Complete repainting or new decals on cab/head if needed.
    Ok you can bash or agree with me just had to vent. I'm sure the few people that do real pinball restoration can't be to happy about seeing the new trend either.

#2 9 years ago

There are certainly different levels. It's purely subjective in what one considers "restored" etc.

What's a "mussel car" ?

#3 9 years ago

Terminology describing condition and work done is used in a loosey-goosey manner--everybody's definition is different. Simply ask the seller what work they have done to a pin when you see one you're interested in.

#4 9 years ago

First throw out terminology and just go on the condition of the game under close scrutiny. Learn what and where to look for dirt, hacks and shortcuts and decide on a value based on that. Terminology is meaningless.

I generally use the term "reconditioned" for my shop jobs.

[Edit] I haven't done what I would call a "restore" yet.

#5 9 years ago

Just my two cents.

If someone lists a pin as having been "restored" I expect the playfield to have been touched up or replaced and possibly cleared. The plastics should all have been replaced, the cabinet repainted, etc. The game should look and play like new.

If the game has been "shopped" I expect that it is clean and mechanically sound. The playfield should have a fresh coat of wax and all of the lights should be working.

#6 9 years ago

For me restored means basically NIB condition. EVERYTHING cleaned, painted, etc

#7 9 years ago

Ok, should read Muscle car. Misspell police got me.

#8 9 years ago

...................because this has never been discussed before.

#9 9 years ago

mussel car.jpgmussel car.jpg

#10 9 years ago
    4166061_700b.jpg4166061_700b.jpg
    #11 9 years ago

You've been here a year, yet this is your first post and you weren't arsed to post any of this on the feedback thread for the new marketplace....

FWIW, I agree with you...those need to be split up into different dropdowns, because "shopping" a game is not "restoring". It's routine maintenance.

#12 9 years ago

The misuse of the term restored is not new to this day, week, month, year or even DECADE.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You've been here a year, yet this is your first post and you weren't arsed to post any of this on the feedback thread for the new marketplace....
    FWIW, I agree with you...those need to be split up into different dropdowns, because "shopping" a game is not "restoring". It's routine maintenance.

What's the feedback thread for the new marketplace....?
    Yup, signed up a year ago but only now have a little spear time to get back into pinball. So consider me a complete newbie.

#14 9 years ago

Just like the work "Mint". I have NEVER seen a mint game. Not even the 20+ NIB pins I have opened are never mint!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from nd4spd:

Just like the work "Mint". I have NEVER seen a mint game. Not even the 20+ NIB pins I have opened are never mint!

Sorry, but by definition a brand new game being taken out of the box is "mint".

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Sorry, but by definition a brand new game being taken out of the box is "mint".

Not really. Mint is a flawless game. HEP turns out mint games.

I've taken out plenty of NIB machines that had blemishes, dings, scratches, dents, broken parts. So...my Metallica Pro I unboxed that had dented side rails was NOT mint methinks. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a NIB game that didn't have some issue, major or minor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restored-nono-shopped-wtf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.