(Topic ID: 129006)

Restored games: Do you prefer "original" or "pimped out"?

By Aurich

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“For a pricey high end restore, do you:”

• Keep it original, nothing that changes the fundamental character 50 votes
    46%
  • Add personal touches, and long as they're tasteful and well executed 58 votes
    54%

(108 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150424_221410.jpg
Misc 004.jpg
Misc 002.jpg
AFM.fin 012.jpg
IMG_1407.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
image.jpg
IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6612.JPG
IMG_6607.JPG
IMG_6604.JPG
IMG_6601.JPG
398759.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I was talking with my friend Pat today about game restores. If you missed his Funhouse restoration it's really worth checking out here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/funhouse-restore-chrome-and-mustard

Lots of great before and after shots, and documentation of his process. I've seen the game in person, and it's gorgeous.

Now one thing he did is he bondo'd the inside bottom of the cabinet, got it entirely smooth and nice, and then painted it yellow. It's really striking in person, and it makes the inside feel special and pop. Here's a photo:

FunhouseFunhouse

He's working on a second restored Funhouse right now (he's going to sell it, send him a PM if you're interested, he does really amazing work) and we were talking about whether or not he should do the same inside yellow trick for it or not.

It seems like there are two camps for these high end restores. The kind of people who will pay $6k for a redone top to bottom Funhouse. Those who want it "like new, but better", where it feels original, just incredibly nice. And those who want it over the top, and if it's not a factory look that's okay, as long as it looks great and they can enjoy it and show it off.

I'm not a purist. If you can improve on the factory look because you're taking the time to do something they never would have (paint the inside like that? makes no sense for a commercial game) and it brings something great to the table I'm all about it.

What's your take? It doesn't have to be about this particular game, or color of yellow or anything, just a great example of something new, that might divide opinions. Blacking out a game with powdercoated hardware might be another easy example. Chrome I guess falls into that same category. Are you an original purist, or do you like things blinged out a bit?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I think the work Pat did to make the "interior of the cab" look really neat and clean is benign, even for someone who might lean on the "purist" side of things in general.

This is true. Especially as you're never going to see it unless you open the game. I guess some people would rather see a really nicely sanded interior, with no stains or overspray. The yellow looked great though, and the bondo work made it super clean.

Quoted from Richthofen:

I dislike external subwoofers, 'ground effects' lighting, mirror blades, and MAN do I dislike custom shooter rods. I do *not* want to grab a sculpted head/figure to plunge.

Hmm, I can get all of those but the subwoofer. Are you just opposed to seeing something sitting under a game? Mine are mostly in my garage, and I store shit under them. That's just the reality of our storage space though.

I have a friend's Fathom right now, and it's got a total repaint, CPR playfield, chrome armor etc. The inside though was basically not touched. I have to be honest, I don't care. I'm never gonna show off the inside of a game to someone. But I will admit, seeing Pat's all sweet when he opened it up was really the final topping on a great looking game.

I'm from the school of thinking that mods are great, so long as they fit into the game. Not so big on gluing action figures everywhere for instance. But I'm happy with the hammer replacement I made for Metallica. That took an existing part and "upgraded it", rather than gluing on something that doesn't look right.

Or the Mezel "Hells Bell" cover for ACDC, that goes over an ugly bare piece of metal. I just got mine today. I wasn't into the shiny 3D printed look, so I sanded and primed and repainted it, but it really classes up an otherwise blah piece of the game.

#17 8 years ago

Mods aren't about value. If you're buying a $6k Fungouse it's because you're a collector who really wants one. Same with a HEP. You're not going to get your money back out.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I am a genuine "minimalist" when it comes to refurbs (that's why I don't call them "restores"). I like the games to retain some/most of their personality they've acquired over their lifetime.
The only time I want a "sterile" game is when I unbox it!

I think that's a great attitude for sure. You don't strike me then as the kind of person who'd want a $6k Funhouse.

I'm kind of in between. I like my games nice, but I don't want to have to baby them, or feel guilty about playing them or something. They're sitting there waiting to be played, not looked at.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

id rather buy a stock game and do all the work myself. kinda like used cars. the wrong people try to do things, then you buy it, and go "what the heck is this wire doing here" etc. most people dont know what they are doing in the pinball realm, lots of amateurs. same comes with shop jobs, shipping packing, etc. even some that restore looks wise, but things dont play correct.

Sure. But if you saw Pat's game you wouldn't feel that he cut corners, it's crazy meticulous. The wire routing alone is the cleanest I've ever seen, all wrapped.

Still, I agree, I'm not personally the kind of person who would pay crazy money for a restored game. But that said, if one came along that was the right game ... you never know.

Obviously you only buy it if you're happy with the work.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I prefer a bit closer to original than completely over the top "pimped out" but on something like AFM, there are some things that really can and should be "improved" on in my opinion, and make AFM look better than original, such as the Bill Ung saucer kits, metallic type coating on the saucers, the backboard LED kit, black powder coating etc. And even a shaker motor. That's what I had McCune do when he restored mine:
» YouTube video

Yeah, see, that's what I'm talking about. Not stupid crap all over it, but tastefully upgraded.

I guess everyone already knows my opinion on alt translites.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restored-games-do-you-prefer-original-or-pimped-out?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.