IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
image.jpg
Taxi 176.jpg
Taxi 175.jpg
P7100080.JPG
scan0010 - Copy.jpg
201411-TX-right-ramp.jpg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 9 years ago

All part of the learning process. Key advise is always take your time. You did right by drilling it, the rubber hammer probably angled it when you hit it. I just use a very small claw hammer and lightly tap them until they start then go harder to get them to the proper level.

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

All part of the learning process

That part of the learning process F..in blows no matter how you slice it.

#303 9 years ago

I'll be over this week to help out again. Gonna glue that thing down with a dab of wood glue and maybe solve the controlled lamp problem as well. Once glued, however, I don't want to do much else that would vibrate the playfield- that means no population for a few days

#304 9 years ago

I sympathize with you. I had something similar happen during a Firepower swap earlier this year:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-remove-a-broken-screw

It's incredibly frustrating to be so close to the end only to have your project derailed by something completely unexpected. But you can't lose sight of all the good work you've already done. Fix it using the same attention detail you've exercised on the rest of the restoration and enjoy the awesome game you've brought back to life.

#305 9 years ago

Glue and keep going. You've got a beautiful game going there bro.

2 weeks later
#306 9 years ago

Ok, back on the horse. more posts in. little at a time.
IMG_1416.JPGIMG_1416.JPG

#307 9 years ago

Looking great Ed.

#308 9 years ago

To those who are wondering how the repair looks on the playfield. Wood glue, let sit. Because the clear bowed up a bit when the piece broke off the piece didn't go back into the playfield completely level. I put a small mylar square over the area in case the ball does traffic over it. I've moved on but still secretly am bummed out about it. Oh well!
IMG_1451-448.JPGIMG_1451-448.JPG

#309 9 years ago

Looks great, don't forget there is still a playfield plastic that goes over the top too.

#311 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

To those who are wondering how the repair looks on the playfield. Wood glue, let sit. Because the clear bowed up a bit when the piece broke off the piece didn't go back into the playfield completely level. I put a small mylar square over the area in case the ball does traffic over it. I've moved on but still secretly am bummed out about it. Oh well!
IMG_1451-448.JPG 250 KB

All part of the learning process... Center of the ball cannot possibly travel on that spot due to the size/diameter of the ball, so hopefully that spot will never be touched at all. (Anything within 1/2" of any wall cannot be stuck by the ball (assuming it's flat), since the ball is 1.06" in diameter, and has a contact patch of 1 point.)

Good times ahead, carry on!
-mof

#312 9 years ago

Hey ed if you still need warning text for backback I have a decal for that if you want it. I didn't use it on mine so its still wrapped up in my closet and totan parts are taking it over so I better move it before it gets ruined.

-Jim

#313 9 years ago

That really sucks, but thankfully you will not notice it on a fully populated playfield. Did you clamp it after gluing? As simple as the artwork is there, I wonder if smoothing it and applying a decal and some clear might have worked well.

1 week later
#314 9 years ago

So I need to build new spring steel for my ball guides. Sucks because I don't have $200 to invest in a riveter for tubular rivets.

And even worse, I think the ball guides for my ramp entrances are BOTH broken. I think the screws are sheared at the bottom? I don't remember shearing them when I removed the guides but that was over 6 months ago. The screw part doesn't appear long enough to go through the playfield. No idea where I'd get another set of these.

IMG_1486.JPGIMG_1486.JPG IMG_1485.JPGIMG_1485.JPG
#315 9 years ago

Someone here should be able to fix that for you. Tough break though. (no pun intended)

#316 9 years ago

Those are not sheared. That is the correct length. They do not pass through the playfield.

#317 9 years ago

Hello guys, forgot about Richthofen's Taxi restore thread, am slowly doing a resto myself, not nearly as complex as this one but it's going to be a great resource for helpful hints and parts!!

I only had one of the backbox support bolts, what is the diameter of these - I'm going to Home Despot to get a second one - I didn't realize the bolt was missing until I had the first one installed........

Also, when drilling a hole for the spring to upgrade the flippers, I don't have a drill press - can I use a pre-drilled "template" as a guide and tightly clamp that down onto the area that I need to drill??

-Nate

#318 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Those are not sheared. That is the correct length. They do not pass through the playfield.

I am really glad this came up because I have a Taxi swap in the line of work to do.

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Thanks Skypilot, I was secretly hoping you were following this thread. So the holes these go in are slightly smaller than the threads. Did you drill out the holes or did you hammer the guides in place? I'm afraid that if I use a drill the diameter of those threaded parts is slightly smaller that the next size up drill bit, and the guide will 'wiggle' with a ball strike.

#320 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

hammer the guides in place

No more hammering! tapping, maybe.

#321 9 years ago

No those are broken. I had a few like that too. Pinballlife had the correct length ones. Drill the river out and pop a new rivet in with the new post. Hand rivets work fine on that too.

#322 9 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

No those are broken. I had a few like that too. Pinballlife had the correct length ones. Drill the river out and pop a new rivet in with the new post. Hand rivets work fine on that too.

Jim, Skypilot has 4 taxis that he's turning into 2 taxis. So if some were broken and some not, I think he would have seen it. Could it be that Williams just put out some games with longer screws?

#323 9 years ago

This is a really good home made riveter for the price, I bought one years ago.

ebay.com link: Tonka Semi Tubular Rivet Tool w 1 8 set of Dies Rivets squeezer dies

#324 9 years ago

Sorry AFK. Stripped three of the taxis. All threads were that length. I did drill mine out they set in snug. With slight tapping.

#325 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Sorry AFK. Stripped three of the taxis. All threads were that length. I did drill mine out they set in snug. With slight tapping.

Not saying you're wrong, but on the Taxi I had that screw went through the playfield and was secured on the bottom side with a nylon lock nut.

I would say that looks broken, but only from the experience I had with mine.

Chris

#326 9 years ago

Here's a link to the Taxi ball guides pages in the Williams Blue parts catalog if it helps.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_Blue_16-9064-B/index.html#/192/

#327 9 years ago

My sys 11 (roller games) had a nut on the end. There is a reason they made them with threaded rods.

Agree with the others that replacement of that part should be cheap and easy.

#328 9 years ago

I have one taxi left standing. When I get back to Ohio. I will check it out. Could very well be that they all have broke. Just have to wait and see.

#329 9 years ago
Quoted from hootowls:

Here's a link to the Taxi ball guides pages in the Williams Blue parts catalog if it helps.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_Blue_16-9064-B/index.html#/192/

Sort of helps? It looks like the other guides do go all the way through, but the ramp ones with the spring steel flaps have shorter posts than those.

Its entirely possible that different games have different configurations based on how they ran the line. It's also possible they used threaded posts and cut them just because it was cheaper than ordering a non-threaded post.

I think my guides are fine for now, at least! Thanks!

#330 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

My sys 11 (roller games) had a nut on the end. There is a reason they made them with threaded rods.
Agree with the others that replacement of that part should be cheap and easy.

Didn't find any place to buy that part online. Do you have a source?

#331 9 years ago

It's called a 'spade bolt'

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2081

It's also available in offset configurations:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2080

Hopefully, someone will step up to rivet it for you. I could, if you need, just mail it to me.

#332 9 years ago

I don't recall ever seeing any of the spade bolts for a lane guide being a pin only configuration that was threaded. I have seen a few where there is an integral pin in the lane guide that just sticks in a hole and possibly one spade bolt that is not threaded and is only intended to insert into a playfield hole. In my experience if they were threaded they were intended to be nutted on the back side of the playfield. The picture included here sure looks broken.

There should be evidence either on the back side of the playfield of where the nut/washer left an indentation or the broken piece with nut in the body of the game.

Assuming it is a through hole on the playfield I would put the replacement spade bolt on it and nut it down.

Keep in mind that Williams was still feeling their way through to what extent they needed to size hardware on these games. It doesn't surprise me to see a sheared connector like this. I've seen a lot of #6 hardware on System 11 games where it is all #8 hardware on later WPC games.

1 week later
#333 9 years ago

Thanks to pinside user PinballMike217 who helped me with riveting and polishing. I've now got some tools on my wishlist, for sure. Metal hole punch, rivet press, buffing wheel, dremel. First pic is a 'before'

IMG_1518.JPGIMG_1518.JPG IMG_1520.JPGIMG_1520.JPG IMG_1519.JPGIMG_1519.JPG
#335 9 years ago

Looking amazing my friend!

#336 9 years ago

waiting for parts from Pinball Life (switches, LEDs, fuses) & Marco (new ramps!) ... in the meantime, enjoy this. My 9 month old son and I playing Strikes & Spares

IMG_1510.JPGIMG_1510.JPG
#337 9 years ago

Reading this thread has rekindled my love for my Taxi. Personally I would go with warm white LEDs for the GI, that way it goes with the yellow of the cabinet much better. Thats what I plan on doing with mine.

#338 9 years ago

Replaced both sets of slingshot switches. They were pretty beat. Here's also a photo of topside assembly progress. There's definitely some sort of flipper/coil issue I'm running into. I ended up testing the flippers and blew the fuse. I *think* they're wired wrong. Even worse, the flashers will go off whenever the slings or flipper coils fire. That issue scares me, that something is seriously wired wrong.

IMG_1576.JPGIMG_1576.JPG IMG_1581.JPGIMG_1581.JPG
#339 9 years ago

Ed, it's looking good. It should be pretty easy to track down that flipper wiring from the flippers to the back box. Let me know if you want me to take any pics of my flippers or lighting, etc.

FYI, I went to the hardware store yesterday and picked up two bolt/washers for my backbox- 3/8 at 3 1/2 inches. $1.03 a piece with washers.

#340 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

That issue scares me, that something is seriously wired wrong.

Ed, no worries. Its most likely as simple as two wires inverted. I can honestly say that more than once I've done that. Walk away, come back and review.Sometimes we mentally think our colors are correct only to find they are simply backwards.

#341 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Even worse, the flashers will go off whenever the slings or flipper coils fire. That issue scares me, that something is seriously wired wrong.

Not necessarily the case.

Have you converted over to LED flashers?

Or are all of the flashers still incandescent?

Also, post good hi-res pics of your flipper wiring and let us take a look.

RussMyers

#342 9 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Not necessarily the case.
Have you converted over to LED flashers?
Or are all of the flashers still incandescent?
Also, post good hi-res pics of your flipper wiring and let us take a look.
RussMyers

I converted over to LED flashers.

#343 9 years ago

Can you tell me where the heck you got those leaf switches for the slingshots? Been looking as mine will need to be replaced also - thanks.........

#344 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I converted over to LED flashers.

The system 11 flashers have a warming circuit that keeps the incandescent bulbs "warm" so they have better response and longevity (supposedly) but keeps the LED flashers on the verge of firing, so flux in the circuit from the slings or possibly flippers will go over the threshold and the LED flashers will light up. This is a known issue.

Some fixes:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-flasher-modifications

You may also have luck with replacing just one of the LED flashers in each circuit with an incandescent bulb to add some resistance back.

RussM

#345 9 years ago

I use LED's here and there depending on the theme, but I removed Flasher LEDs from all my pins once I saw how blinding they were. Regular flashers are blinding enough. Since they are not used very often, I see no reason to ever use flasher LEDs. One fix would be to remove them.

-mof

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Can you tell me where the heck you got those leaf switches for the slingshots? Been looking as mine will need to be replaced also - thanks.........

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=616

These aren't marked as the same part number but they are mechanically identical. You'll also need some diodes, I believe they are http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173 but I am not sure. I used 1N4004... and the switches work fine so hopefully I don't cause any issues if they aren't the right diodes!

#347 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=616
These aren't marked as the same part number but they are mechanically identical. You'll also need some diodes, I believe they are http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173 but I am not sure. I used 1N4004... and the switches work fine so hopefully I don't cause any issues if they aren't the right diodes!

Thanks bud, I saw these but wasn't sure they were the right part - you confirmed so I'm ordering!

Best of luck on you continued re-assembly - looks great!!!

-Nate

#348 9 years ago

Ugh. This restore is killing me. Putting the new ramp guides in, and noticed I really effed up on the post by the right ramp/lock entrance. I followed the hole in the playfield but it must have been placed wrong by CPR on the playfield. I am going to have to remove the post, drill a new hole, and now there will be a hole under the guide and possibly visible on the playfield. *sigh*. I really feel like I can't get anything right sometimes.

IMG_1625.JPGIMG_1625.JPG
#349 9 years ago

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread or anything, but since I'm also working on a Taxi, thought it makes sense to include questions here:

Someone didn't even bother to CLEAN the playfield before slapping down a huge piece of mylar OVERTOP of dirt, crud, and even SAND as you can see in the photos. I'm thinking about cutting out the mylar around the inserts so I can clean the crud out - the inserts are also slightly raised so i want to soften the glue up around them, and re-glue/re-seat them. After they dry, I'd then re-apply a piece of mylar (unless you think the "spreading crazy glue on top" method works pretty well??). I don't want to tackle taking off all the mylar...............

Also, look at the wire ball guide photo, is this supposed to sit that far down on the pf?? This guide is located above the "all passengers" target on the left-hand side. I think I need to pull it up a bit.

Lastly, look at these posts supporting a plastic piece on the right-hand side beneath the spin-out ramp - it looks like these are not the correct posts - one has a screw hole in the top that isn't used, and one looks like a "bumper" post that usually has a small donut rubber over it???

Thanks!

Nate

insert2.jpginsert2.jpg insertwear.jpginsertwear.jpg metalballguide.jpgmetalballguide.jpg postarramgememts.jpgpostarramgememts.jpg
#350 9 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Ugh. This restore is killing me. Putting the new ramp guides in, and noticed I really effed up on the post by the right ramp/lock entrance. I followed the hole in the playfield but it must have been placed wrong by CPR on the playfield. I am going to have to remove the post, drill a new hole, and now there will be a hole under the guide and possibly visible on the playfield. *sigh*. I really feel like I can't get anything right sometimes.

Hold up, hold up -- what are you sure is wrong?

Do you by chance mean where the yellow pole in the artwork doesn't line up right with the post?

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restore-time-taxi/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.