IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
image.jpg
Taxi 176.jpg
Taxi 175.jpg
P7100080.JPG
scan0010 - Copy.jpg
201411-TX-right-ramp.jpg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 10 years ago

I've got a large vibratory tumbler, but thanks Jim! If you can toss switch assemblies, etc into the tumbler well that's what I want to hear! I've got the crushed walnut medium but should I be adding any polish or other stuff to the mix as well?

#152 10 years ago

Some flitz works nice. Brasso would also work or even novus 2 but not sure if it works nearly as well.

#153 10 years ago

I agree - toss that sucker in the tumbler. Also a good thing to have is a cheap harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner - well worth the bucks.

#154 10 years ago

Started mech rebuilds with the flippers. I am an awful solderer and it took me WAY too long to do this rebuild :-/ One side soldered, one to go.

IMG_0373.JPGIMG_0373.JPG
#155 10 years ago

Working on the other mechs. Not sure if I should be buying all new coils or not. If I re-use the coil, what's the best way around this? Should I clip the wires or go through the trouble of desoldering them?

Once I get the coils, how do I clean them? Can I just toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner? I assume that would ruin the coil wrappers?

#156 10 years ago

Upgrade those flippers - get rid of the crappy springs...

Do not buy all new coils you can buy new labels from planetary pinball.

#157 10 years ago

I print my own coil wrappers and yes you can toss them in the ultrasonic. Unless a could sleeve is impossible to remove the coil is fine and its pointless to replace.

-Jim

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Unless a could sleeve is impossible to remove the coil is fine and its pointless to replace.

I've had some success in drilling out the sticking sleeve and the coil inner diameter a bit. Works a lot of the time, to save the coil.

Robert

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Upgrade those flippers - get rid of the crappy springs...
Do not buy all new coils you can buy new labels from planetary pinball.

+1 on this. Get rid of compression spring. You already have the bracket for the return spring.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-9376

Here is the spring you need.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-364

I have done this to all of my machines. HUGE difference.

#160 10 years ago

OK OK! I will get the return springs

OK, this is more of a general question. As the mechs come off, its getting closer to time to pull sockets, switches, and the GI wires.

My plan was to leave the old GI on the old playfield, and on my new one, trace the path of the wires with a pencil and staple in new GI and new GI sockets.

Then I'd put the mechs back and put the wiring and switches back last. Should I be un-soldering all switches and insert lighting? Or leave them and clean the harness by hand?

IMG_0419.JPGIMG_0419.JPG
#161 10 years ago

I put entire harnesses in the dishwasher (without mechs) - just make sure you dry it pretty good afterward.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I put entire harnesses in the dishwasher (without mechs) - just make sure you dry it pretty good afterward.

Without mechs. But what about lamp sockets and microswitches?

#163 10 years ago

I usually just leave them on. But make sure you dry it (compressor or hair dryer) soon after washing to prevent any corrosion.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

As the mechs come off, its getting closer to time to pull sockets, switches, and the GI wires.

To me removing and cleaning the wire harness, while doable, is a lot of work with the chance to screw something up that will take hours to troubleshoot...while yielding little real value.

I blow the harness/wires off with compressed air and wipe it with a damp towel/rag and call it good.

If I am going to remove the mechanisms, which isn't often, I do them 1 at a time and then replace and go on to the next.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't have hours and hours to spend.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Robert

#165 10 years ago

I have to say - if you are going as far as you are on this restore - do it right....Clean everything, polish/replace/plate metal parts as required, rebuild flippers/pops, replace light sockets if needed, etc.

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

To me removing and cleaning the wire harness, while doable, is a lot of work with the chance to screw something up that will take hours to troubleshoot...while yielding little real value.
I blow the harness/wires off with compressed air and wipe it with a damp towel/rag and call it good.
If I am going to remove the mechanisms, which isn't often, I do them 1 at a time and then replace and go on to the next.
Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't have hours and hours to spend.
Good luck with whatever you do.
Robert

It's a playfield swap so the harness has to come off

#167 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I have to say - if you are going as far as you are on this restore - do it right....Clean everything, polish/replace/plate metal parts as required, rebuild flippers/pops, replace light sockets if needed, etc.

Yeah going to clean everything I can, and replace a lot. Flipper Fidelity speakers, LED displays, etc.

#168 10 years ago

I've not put my harnesses in the dishwasher. However, I have snipped off the small zip ties, then used Blech White, soaked on a rag, and hand wiped/pulled the cluster of wires. It's amazing the yellow/dirt that comes off. Plus, putting the brand new white zip ties on makes the wires look even better.

1 week later
#169 10 years ago

All coils off. All mechs off. All wire holders off. Just gotta pull the bottom half of the playfield's switches and lamp sockets, and we'll be free of the old playfield!

IMG_0483.JPGIMG_0483.JPG
#171 10 years ago

I HAVE THAT SAME LABEL MAKER!!

#172 10 years ago

Jeez, finally, harness off. Good luck to me trying to get it back on!

There's still the stapled GI, I was hoping to order new sockets and wire for the new playfield. Also there's a few posts that are stuck to the playfield because they just spin. I think they're locktite'd. Even heat hasn't freed them from the t-nuts underneath. I think the t-nuts are ruined anyways given I tried to use pliers to hold them in place.

What's the deal with the pop bumper nails? As if drilling into a playfield isn't bad enough now I have to think about hammering in some nails into the playfield? Should I reuse or replace? do they thread in then hammer the last step?

IMG_0500-138.JPGIMG_0500-138.JPG IMG_0499.JPGIMG_0499.JPG
#173 10 years ago

replace the pop nails - pbl sells them cheap. Just tap lightly at first to thread them in.

#174 10 years ago

Looking great! Amazing progress.

#175 10 years ago

Check which kind you have. There are two types. Shark fin hammer in screws and there are some that screw in to the playfield with a reverse thread and the bottom half is threaded for the pop bracket nuts.

BTW I'm working right along side you now. Cab is starting to get prepped tomorrow.

-Jim image.jpgimage.jpg

#176 10 years ago

Great work! This is an ambitious project for sure!

Following your progress

Chris

#177 10 years ago

Whrid: is your restore for a client or are you selling afterwards?

#178 10 years ago

Finally got mostly caught up and this one is for myself and I might finally keep one. Taxi is a great game and I need to keep one of my restores in my lineup finally so I can benefit from my work and enjoy it. We will see what happens when its time for Allentown again tho.....

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Also there's a few posts that are stuck to the playfield because they just spin. I think they're locktite'd.

Methyl Chloride is the solvent for Loc-tite

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Also there's a few posts that are stuck to the playfield because they just spin. I think they're locktite'd. Even heat hasn't freed them from the t-nuts underneath.

Just snap them and replace the screws and T Nuts. That's what I ended up doing with my Taxi, Diner and Black Knight 2000 machines. The System 11's were notorious for the lock-tite posts. I snapped about 10 of them on Black Knight 2000 when I redid it.

Chris

#181 10 years ago

Thanks Chris. How do I determine the proper screw size? Never bought screws/hardware before. I assume there's a length (does length include the head of the screw?) thread size and gauge or width?

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Thanks Chris. How do I determine the proper screw size? Never bought screws/hardware before. I assume there's a length (does length include the head of the screw?) thread size and gauge or width?

The ones on my games were 6/32 thread machine screws. I bought 2 1/2 inch if I recall correctly, secured them underneath with washers and nylon lock nuts, then cut the excess length with a pair of side cutters (or lineman pliers). Worked like a champ, and I bought the screws in bulk from Lowes.

Chris

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Purchase them from Marco. Go on their site, find your game, and most posts will be there.

#184 10 years ago

OK, just a few more questions. Tonight is the night I put in a BIG parts order.

Is this the proper flipper button? I can't find a reference in the manual.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16883-4
Also, does that come with the red 'nut' that needs to go on the inside?

Second, Any recommendations on a staple gun and staple sizes (for GI staples)? I don't have a shop so nothing air powered. Electric, battery, or manual would be great.

Third, I assume this is an acceptable lamp socket for the flush GI lamps?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5000-00

There's this, but I think that's a lower socket? help/advice appreciated!
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-176

#186 10 years ago

Order placed. It was a lot more money than I expected, but they finally had standard width lockdown bars in stock, and my game had a beer spill, so ...

The positive thing is that I only paid $500 for the game so even if I blow $500 on parts, $700 on the playfield, and $500 for cabinet repair, I'm not into it toooooo deep ($2300 I guess). But I'm not going to sell it so who cares

#187 10 years ago

$2300 for cherry Taxi is a win. Wait until you tweak the habitrails to get the balls to exit at full speed...

-mof

#188 10 years ago

$2300 for a fully restored Taxi is not too bad. The HS I am doing will be close to that, not even sure where the SI is now, way more that its actual worth.

You can't beat the satisfaction of taking something sub par and making it great. Plus it's a wonderful learning experience.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from nerdygrrl:

$2300 for a fully restored Taxi is not too bad. The HS I am doing will be close to that, not even sure where the SI is now, way more that its actual worth.
You can't beat the satisfaction of taking something sub par and making it great. Plus it's a wonderful learning experience.

Well said, you are unlocking a LOT of achievements at once re-doing an entire game like this. You've inspired me to create and achievement unlocked thread.
-mof

#190 10 years ago

2300 into an A system11 game isn't a big deal at all. Trust me your not into for more than its worth

-Jim

#191 10 years ago

I bought a BSD for $900 and now have over $3K in it - it happens - if you love the game it doesn't matter.

#192 10 years ago

Ok, another question from the n00b. What on the playfield do I have to pre-drill? I assume the small screws holding the mechs on can just self-thread into the playfield. But do I have to pre-drill post holes? Or just hammer in the t-nuts on the bottom then place the posts in?

Also the pop bumper nails, mine are threaded at the bottom and towards the head have two 'wings'. So twist gently until the fins, then hammer in at the end?

Also, staple gun suggestions?!

#193 10 years ago

On things that are just dimpled I would pre drill to be safe and not split the wood or snap a screw/post.

Pop bumper screw/nails. You have the "shark fin" type. Just hammer them in the holes. Carefully.

-Jim

#194 10 years ago

Harbor Freight sells these, which are great for T nuts, and those jet bumper nails, both ends unscrew so you can replace if needed. both hard rubber and sturdy yellow sides are non marking. similar to what the factory used.

Capture.JPGCapture.JPG Capture1.JPGCapture1.JPG
3 weeks later
#195 10 years ago

Sorry it's been a while since I've updated. I am still SLOWLY working on this. I've been super busy with another project, namely the birth of my son! I'm a new dad and while we plan to have only a small family, I'm already feeling proud and overwhelmed and everything else.

All mechs except the drop targets are completely rebuilt, been doing one at a time in the tumbler between baby duties (pun intended). See some before/after of the catapult. Metal parts tumbled, new spring, coil sleeve, coil arm 'bump', all parts cleaned, new coil wrapper, etc etc.

Also, my pride/joy/lack of sleep, Maxwell!

IMG_0324.JPGIMG_0324.JPG IMG_0582.JPGIMG_0582.JPG IMG_0578.JPGIMG_0578.JPG
#196 10 years ago

Congrats on the birth of your son!! Taxi looking GREAT!!

#197 10 years ago

Those are looking good. The base plates in my SI are shot-hoping to find a good local powder coater to finish them for me

#198 10 years ago

Congrats on the new baby!

I had 3 of them; 26 (twins) and 28 years ago. Cherish the young age... they grow up so quickly.

#199 10 years ago

Congrats buddy. Get back to work.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from erichill:

Steve Young sells the side rail nails too.
http://www.pbresource.com/siderails.html

He does ? All I see are WPC side rails.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restore-time-taxi/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.