IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
image.jpg
Taxi 176.jpg
Taxi 175.jpg
P7100080.JPG
scan0010 - Copy.jpg
201411-TX-right-ramp.jpg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 10 years ago

Anyone know the paint color(yellow) code for Taxi? I need to repair some of my cabinet on mine. I am struggling to find a paint code that isn't expired. Someone had one on here last year but when I went to Homedepot they said the code was old and they couldn't make it anymore.

#52 10 years ago

Anyone know the paint color(yellow) code for Taxi? I need to repair some of my cabinet on mine. I am struggling to find a paint code that isn't expired. Someone had one on here last year but when I went to Homedepot they said the code was old and they couldn't make it anymore.

#53 10 years ago

Lots of people always told me my head was empty, and today I can say that's finally true.

I am scared shitless of trying to re-connect all those connectors in the backbox. But I'm happy I got everything out. Now I have a ton of parts to tumble. IMG_1490.JPGIMG_1490.JPG IMG_1491.JPGIMG_1491.JPG

#54 10 years ago

The connectors isn't what should be giving you fear. It's which screw/bolt goes to which hole. Hopefully you took pictures of the hardware coming out so you know which part goes where.

#55 10 years ago

From what I understand the head was painted separately from the body so there could be a different shade on the head vs the body
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#56 10 years ago

Piece of cake! Looks like progress!

#57 10 years ago

You'll get it no problem. Ever have any issues get it touch with me.

Nice meeting you again friday. Sorry we never caught back up later.

-Jim

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

From what I understand the head was painted separately from the body so there could be a different shade on the head vs the body

That is true for mine.
-mof

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Finally got my tumbler, and I'm learning how to tumble parts. How do you guys clean the tumble medium out of the parts after you've tumbled?

Pick up a dental pick from the drug store or get a set of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

That is true for mine.

Mine as well. Not a very close match between the head and lower cabinet.

#61 10 years ago

great thread. plenty of us with 'complete' taxi machines so if you need a "which way around does this bit go" answer just post it.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Q-Dog:

Mine as well. Not a very close match between the head and lower cabinet.

I guess there were two cabinet manufacturers for the Taxi cabinets that Williams used. So the cabinets were slightly different. And I guess they mixed/matched heads from manufacturer A with bodies from manufacturer B.

I've been trying to get a hold of Doug Huse of letsplaypinball.com to build me a new cabinet but he's been hard to reach.

#63 10 years ago

Have you done the numbers? If you sand down your current cabinet, and head, then fill the missing wood areas with bondo, or proper wood filler, then sand smooth, you could get the full decal set on ebay for $262.00. Looks like you're looking at a minimum $350.00 for new bare head only. It would take much more time to repair the cabinet yourself, but you'd come out cheaper in the long run, if cost is a factor at all. There are vids online from HEP to others showing how to sand and fill, and repair damaged wood cabinets. It's a daunting task, but you'd end up with the original cabinet, and lower repair cost, and same color yellow. Just a thought.

ebay.com link: Taxi Pinball Cabinet Decal Set

ebay.com link: TAXI Pinball Machine BACKBOX TEXT DECAL Die Cut PEEL AND STICK

#64 10 years ago

One way to clean up the topper: You can sand it and remove the yellow just like you do with a headlight restoration kit. Start out with 800 grit and go finer on the flat surfaces. You are going to be wet sanding. Then use cutting compound and polish to restore a shine. It will take a while. But it does remove the outer oxidized layer of plastic.

Ed Cheung (Lots of Space Shuttle Restoration Stuff) says that super concentrated hydrogen peroxide will whiten yellow plastics. His link to the process doesn't work anymore. I do remember that you have to order the hydrogen peroxide somewhere, and it won't be terribly cheap.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

If you sand down your current cabinet, and head, then fill the missing wood areas with bondo, or proper wood filler, then sand smooth, you could get the full decal set

This is the route I will be taking. I agree it's a bit intimidating as I've never done it before, but I think it will be worth the effort and I'm happy to learn on-the-job, especially with all the great resources and advice available here. I just received my decals I ordered from Planetary Pinball. I have pretty much everything I need, I just have to get started.

#66 10 years ago

The problem is I have no workshop to do sanding/painting/filling anything like that. I am in a rented house with no garage and a musty basement. I also have a pregnant wife who would not tolerate paint/chemicals.

I know my limits, and I'd prefer to push them slower. Doing the playfield swap will be enough outside my comfort zone. I want to learn woodworking at some point, but I'd prefer not to do it on one of my favorite games thats going to have a new playfield installed. Last thing I want is a great playfield installed in a cab with wavy 'bodywork'.

If I knew how to do the cab work, or someone local could do it for me for hire, I'd be all over it. Anyone in the New England area want to make some money and prep/restore my Taxi Cabinet?

#67 10 years ago

I read through Chris' recent ES restoration. He used a brand new cabinet and commented that System 11 cabinets can be problematic to restore due to "football" shaped plugs or something along those lines. He also suggests that over time (years) bondo and filler can create problems as well. My System 11s are keepers so this certainly has me leaning towards new cabinets for the ones that need significant repair. Though I will probably learn how to make my own before paying $800+ for one.

Chris

#68 10 years ago

More pictures..

#69 10 years ago

Christopher H. uses new cabinets since he doesn't pay for them and guess what - they are easier to use than fixing the old one. The rest of us have to live on a budget and bondo/filler will do fine.

Scott

#70 10 years ago

Just sharing the info. I was not aware of the potential issues with the cabinets.

Chris

#71 10 years ago

attached a pic of a 'football' .. seems its how knot repairs were done

football.JPGfootball.JPG

#72 10 years ago

That looks like a woodworking biscuit.

2 weeks later
#73 10 years ago

Said that I would post a pic of my yellowed Taxi topper after I whitened it up. Well, after trying out 3 different methods, here it is.

Process: My first attempt was a heavily concentrated bleach, OxyClean, and corn starch as a thickener, which I let sit in the sun for the day this summer. I did 3 applications of this method and had minimal results. Decided it would cost a fortune in concentrated bleach at the beauty supply store, so I abandoned. I then tried acetone, which removed some of the yellow, but not enough and was roughing up the finish. Third time was a charm: I found that Krylon made a plastics spray paint and primer. Even though the paint said no primer needed, I used 600 grit sandpaper on the topper first, layed down a few coats of primer, and then painted white with 2 coats. You can see a little area at the top left that looks rigid. I left the topper in my garage to dry after the first coat and came back to put the second coat on the next day. I didn't notice that a spider had laid down some webbing on the topper in between coats....will note next time, lesson learned. Didn't look bad enough to redo and it's out of site, so being my machine, I'm not too concerned.

topper.JPGtopper.JPG

#74 10 years ago

The problem I see with spraypaint is that it takes away the translucency of the topper, right?

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The problem I see with spraypaint is that it takes away the translucency of the topper, right?

Heh....nope. That's what bright ass LEDs are for.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Also, the last thing I ever want in my backboxes is LEDs or anything bright. Makes it impossible to play with the glare (since I'm a dark-room player). If you are routing, then yes, your goal is to make the game impossible to play. Shove LEDs in every hole. =)

I go 47's in the backbox to keep it dark. That's my style. Same goes for the topper. My previous owner spraypainted mine white. Looks fine to me, and the bulbs light up fine. Again, I don't want it bright.

-mof

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I go 47's in the backbox to keep it dark. That's my style. Same goes for the topper. My previous owner spraypainted mine white. Looks fine to me, and the bulbs light up fine. Again, I don't want it bright.-mof

In my Taxi I put yellow 555's in the topper to dim it down then left the standard flashers for a bit of a pop when they go off. No one will ever notice except for me - that's what matters right?
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#78 10 years ago

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. In negotiations with some people trying to get my cab worked on. Guess what arrived in the mail today, though? Ho ho ho. Gotta say, these are pretty high quality decals from Planetary Pinball. Very impressed.

IMG_0030.JPGIMG_0030.JPG

#79 10 years ago

I'm in talks with someone to restore my cabinet. It's slow going but the dude's previous projects look great so hopefully he can squeeze my project in this winter.

In the mean time, I have my playfield rotisserie prepped and the coin door is out.

I think I'd definitely want a new lockdown bar and lockdown receiver. This game appears to have taken a liquid spill at some point and everything near the bar is grody. Any advice on where to get replacements?

IMG_0054.JPGIMG_0054.JPG IMG_0052.JPGIMG_0052.JPG IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0058.JPG
#80 10 years ago

You looking for new?

Used lockdownbar:
ebay.com link: Williams Pinball Machine Lockdown Bar Firepower Taxi Whirlwind Fun House Gorgar

Sent my High Speed lock down lever assy bar to these people 4 years ago, they re did it in the original Hexavalent Chromium yellow finish original to the bar at the time:
http://www.saporitofinishing.com/

Or you can just search for local metal finishers/platers and have your lock down lever assy bar done locally

#81 10 years ago

I guess new lockdown bar. The beer seal is all grody and I was hoping they'd be available new/repop.

#82 10 years ago

PBL is the best place for a new lockdown bar/receiver. the wpc receiver will work.

#83 10 years ago

I haven't heard that word in 20 years...

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

I haven't heard that word in 20 years...

Was grody still being used in the 90's? Very mid-80's for me....

Chris

#85 10 years ago

You can get a new one from Mantis Amusements (http://www.mantisamusements.com/bracketsupport.htm). This is where I'll be ordering mine for my Taxi restoration.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Was grody still being used in the 90's? Very mid-80's for me....
Chris

Now that I really do the math...you're right. Maybe even late 70's? My recollection is grody.

#87 10 years ago

Regarding new cabs, this guy is a forum member and got some good reviews for a cab that was at Expo. Seems very reasonable Shipping is a killer for me though.

http://www.xtremepinball.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

#88 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is the guy I tried out a cab to see if it would work. Here is a pick with one edge flush - check out the other side...

IMG_0175.JPGIMG_0175.JPG IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0176.JPG
#89 10 years ago

Can you tell where the transformer used to be? How the heck do you clean a transformer, by the way.

IMG_0073.JPGIMG_0073.JPG
#90 10 years ago

Playfield is on the rotisserie.

IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0074.JPG
#91 10 years ago

I used a nice de-greaser and simple green, some would offer bleach white instead. Put mine in the sink, sprayed the wires and plugs up to the transformer, then brushed with a toothbrush, cheap home depot paintbrush and rinse the wires and plugs only. Have a can of compressed air avail, and blow out the plug and wipe all dry, spray some cleaner on a paper towel and just wipe the body of the transformer.

I mix 1-3-2 parts of: de-greaser, simple green, and water in a spray bottle. I don't recommend using my mixture on any painted parts as it's strong. But I did clean all my boards with it, and simply spraying that solution on the boards made the nastiest stuff drool off. Brightened all my solder joints, and was safe enough for the solder mask.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Driveway-Concrete-and-Masonry-Cleaner-ZUCON128/100619236#.UmohzRDbUoM

#92 10 years ago

Cab is empty. Waiting to hear back from a forum member about cabinet restore. However if anyone around here wants to do it, I've got cash if you've got the skills.

Quick question: Having trouble pulling the flipper buttons. What's the deal with those? there's a hexagonal washer on the inside but I don't have a wrench big enough to torque that.

next step: playfield teardown.

IMG_0107.JPGIMG_0107.JPG

#93 10 years ago

I just use vice grips opened up wide enough to grab that hex washer and then do the rest by hand.

Lookin' good Rich. Cant wait to see the out come.

#94 10 years ago

I just use needlenose pliers to grip one side of the nut and start turning it until I can finish it by hand.

Painting season is done here since I paint in the garage. Hopefully finishing some stencil work on Knock Out this week before it drops below 60 again.

#95 10 years ago

Ok, got the buttons out. Thanks WeirPinball!

What's the deal with the sides where the glass is held? I removed the two bolts on either side holding in the grounding braids but it still feels stuck somehow. Is it nailed into the sides? I know on my pinbot I see rivets on the outer part of the siderails. I don't see that on this game. Just don't want to ruin these trying to pull them out.

#96 10 years ago

Usually they are stuck on with double sided tape.

If you see "rivets", those are screw nails.

#97 10 years ago

Sometimes you have these and double sided tape

screw nail.jpgscrew nail.jpg
#98 10 years ago

There's no rivet heads. It must be tape then. Do I have to heat it or just apply a little more force?

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Ok, got the buttons out. Thanks WeirPinball!

Guess I am chopped liver!

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Guess I am chopped liver!

Haha. Thank you too!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restore-time-taxi/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.