IMG_0960.PNG
IMG_0932.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0844.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I was lucky enough to purchase a Star Trek the Next Generation Pinball about a month ago for about 3k. The machine was really really dirty, it was supposedly HOU, but the people that owned it had no idea how to properly maintain a pin. When I opened the back box to look at the boards (battery damage in particular) he was surprised there where boards back there
As soon as I handed them the cash I ripped those old batteries out lol.

I will say that I have much more appreciation for the professional restore/High End restore folks. This was a lot more work than I thought it would be... well I knew was going to be a ton of work but still..I'm an amature, I've never done this before stripping a pin down this far top to bottom. It's such tedious work, I had no idea, this pin in particular has so many friggen parts and I thought the top of the playfield was bad but under it was much worse lol.

Anyway, I've finished it as best as a amature with a full time job can do, I learned a ton and overall it was a great experience. Here are a few things I did...
Removed everything from the playfield
Polished all the metal pieces and bolts (had to do it by hand)
Replaced all plastic with new (old plastic was yellow, some missing and some broken)
Polished the playfield - This was a bit scarey...I was just afriad I would damage it but I had to get a little agressive to get all the grime off it.
Removed all mylar (freeze method is awesome! Never done that before Youtube ftw)
Cabniet was in really good shape besides a few knicks here and there that was I able to touch up.
Rebuilt flippers, pop's, Vuks, removed and cleaned subway (uggggg) and all those prox sensors
Had to replace the trough boards they where intermittent and original
Added some mods I wanted along the way

Overall it turned out pretty good, I learned a ton and have a much better appreciation for the hobby. Here are some pictures before I started... I'll post a video and pictures after for those intrested.

IMG_0834.JPGIMG_0834.JPG IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0835.JPG IMG_0844.JPGIMG_0844.JPG

#2 10 years ago

more before

IMG_0846.JPGIMG_0846.JPG IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0874.JPG IMG_0932.JPGIMG_0932.JPG

#3 10 years ago

more before

IMG_0960.PNGIMG_0960.PNG IMG_0961.PNGIMG_0961.PNG

#4 10 years ago

Here are a few after.... and a link to a video I put up for those intrested.

Cheers

IMG_0965.JPGIMG_0965.JPG IMG_0969.JPGIMG_0969.JPG IMG_0971.JPGIMG_0971.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Great job - the next one will be easier - and you will get better each time.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Great job - the next one will be easier - and you will get better each time.

Thanks Scott! Time to tackle my TAF now

#7 10 years ago

Fantastic job and that's one complicated sucker to tear apart and put back together too. Most first timers do a much simpler game to start with. You deserve a medal. That's going to be a keeper I'm sure. Enjoy

#8 10 years ago

Looks great. What a difference. You will learn more and more with every machine you rip apart. I just finished my White Water, working on a Safe Cracker now.

#9 10 years ago

I've had my STTNG now for about 3 weeks or so. I haven't torn it down but I did swap it over to all LED. Man even trying to get to some of those bulbs under the subway assembly was a PITA.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

I've had my STTNG now for about 3 weeks or so. I haven't torn it down but I did swap it over to all LED. Man even trying to get to some of those bulbs under the subway assembly was a PITA.

No doubt..it wasn't so bad for me since I had decided to pull the subway off which was a major job lol. The pin is super fun though I'm really enjoying it.

#11 10 years ago

Got one coming today! Though this one is in decent shape. No tear down needed, though I will clean up some, add some LEDs and mods....excited....

#12 10 years ago

Looks fantastic. I purchased STTNG over the summer in very nice condition. Didn't need a complete tear down, but I have been dabbling now and then. One very small (but very nice imho) enhancement is to replace those black post sleeves with colored sleeves. I got my from Cliff. What a visual difference they make! His website has some photos that I used as a color guide.

#13 10 years ago

Anyone have the laser pointer mod for the cannons? What do you think of them?

#14 10 years ago

Looks great!! Congrats on the purchase! I love mine.. My favorite pin

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Anyone have the laser pointer mod for the cannons? What do you think of them?

I put the lasers on mine they look great. I needed the cannon plastic so I bought the entire kit from pinballlife.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=910

The video shows them working for a couple seconds at the end.

#16 10 years ago

STTNG is actually pretty easy, it just looks complicated. Once you figure out that you need to unscrew the lower half of the popper on the right side, then the entire subway comes off with three molex connectors and a ton of wood screws... not complicated, just tedious. I just shopped and rebuilt mine last month, took us 2 days to take everything on the top down to wood and clean all the poppers, subways, LED kit, new plastics and protectors, cannon dome mod.

You want a REAL bitch on that game? Break the small cannon armature and don't buy the PPS replacement that's pre-drilled and have to drill one and put the roll pin in it yourself. THAT'S a PITA!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 63.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restore-of-the-sttng-i-purchased-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.