Topic Stats

• 193 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by chalkup8
  • Topic is favorited by 39 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 228 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

\ (resized).png
allramps (resized).png
bowl1 (resized).png
IMG_7075 (resized).png
IMG_7074 (resized).png
IMG_7064 (resized).JPG
IMG_E7048 (resized).JPG
IMG_7073 (resized).JPG
IMG_7071 (resized).JPG
topper2 (resized).png
topper (resized).png
IMG_7058 (resized).JPG
IMG_7042 (resized).JPG
IMG_7038 (resized).JPG
IMG_7067 (resized).JPG
IMG_7066 (resized).JPG

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 61 days ago

The title says it all, boy is this one in rough shape. So I picked up a White Water at an auction recently. I was able to play it and inspect the exterior but not see inside. The game played well, playfield in in great shape and cab appeared decent - it was very tight between games so could not really see the sides.

I got it home and finally look inside.... my god why someone would do this to a machine is beside me and just sad. The entire power junction box is gone, wires are cut, taped, soldered, bunched... just a total mess of the harness.

Overall, I overpaid... typical, and par for the course for me. But, not letting that get me down. I'm all in, want to make this babe shine again.

So here is the Good:
Playfield looks great
Boards looks really good, no alkaline damage, no overheating
Yeti looks good just dirty
Everything works
Translite is good

Bad:
Cabinet has been screwed glued, nailed... its a mess, needs a new cabinet for sure
Wiring needs a LOT of help in the cabinet
most Mountains need to be replaced
Ramps need replacing
Topper dome is toast
Topper decal has a huge crease in it... may be salvageable
Plastics are yellowed
Coin door is not working at all
missing coin chutes

So first order of business is getting the wiring back to stock. Once that is done and I can verify its stable and reliable
, start tearing er down.

IMG_6355 (resized).png
#2 61 days ago

Subscribed!

#3 61 days ago

White water literally means rough water.

This thread can't even.

#4 61 days ago

Following this project for sure!
WH20 is such a great game and it will all be worth it.

#5 61 days ago

Yup, I can't wait to see this. Count me in for a favorite thread.

#6 61 days ago

Great project! Will you consider selling any of the old parts (plastics) at some point?

#7 61 days ago

Following!

#8 61 days ago

crash yes all ramps, plastics and boulders will soon be up for sale

#9 61 days ago

ONE picture? Come on man!

#10 61 days ago

Following!

#11 61 days ago

Here are some pics. Someone decided to put a ton of wood screws everywhere lol. The game looks like it wasn’t even really played much all the ball drop zones have no damage.

03B6E281-C042-4881-98A4-E3F2F651E92A (resized).jpeg56813724-59FB-42EF-B5D1-E2CFA199DE38 (resized).jpeg572C86F0-34BA-40C4-A96B-42DA0AF3DAA5 (resized).jpeg5C7FD27B-03D4-4A5F-9A53-08824438044C (resized).jpeg7FF1B94A-889F-43AE-8205-18150AF297A9 (resized).jpeg8EFE1CCB-74C2-4EE6-B680-4553A6C56DEF (resized).jpeg9D862AE6-7EA2-4F83-B5D0-AC6E884EDEE9 (resized).jpegA7A89032-5DD3-42B6-9789-3087530B1C38 (resized).jpegDC39393B-8B23-4D1F-B097-B31AA5D1A697 (resized).jpegEAE77DA9-2D4F-4D93-BAD0-1CF519577D30 (resized).jpegF92B6154-6817-4A08-BA8E-027CE3E6DE1F (resized).jpeg
#12 61 days ago

My WH20 looked remarkably similar to this when I picked it up about a decade ago.

It had an excellent playfield and the boards were in good order. But the boulders and ramps were shot, there were chunks out of the cabinet, the dome was missing and there was a (smaller) crease in the topper decal. Plus a dozen broken rubbers were lazing around the playfield, and the playfield and cabinet floor were covered by a half centimetre of dirt and dust.

It continues to amaze me how the previous owner, who had this fine machine in his home, could allow it to deteriorate like this...

Ten years later it is no HEP restore, but it's a lovely players' quality machine that plays smoothly and is loved by my kids and visitors. I also learned more from this largely cosmetic restoration about basic pinball maintenance than I have doing anything else with pinballs.

Happy to help with any advice on your journey Soulrider911. Good luck, and I'm interested to see your progress. Replacing those ramps and getting them right is not exactly fun but it is very rewarding!

#13 60 days ago

actually not that bad, so it has some extra screws in it, who cares...…….play it!

#14 59 days ago

Well so far here is what the order list looks like:
• Brand new topper dome
• Brand new set of all ramps and subway from Starship
• Brand new set of plastics
• Mirco Playfield and mini playfield
• on a waitlist for new boulders.
• all parts to rebuild power junction box, and line filter box
• possibly going to just do a brand new cabinet, will see when i tear it apart.

Soon as I get all the power related parts, needs to get it back to stock and working reliably and then tear er apart.

#15 59 days ago

I hope you got a good deal on the game, WH20 is by far the most expensive game to restore. It will be worth it though.

#16 59 days ago

squeakman ya your telling me Ramps alone where 650. I did not get a deal lol. But love the game and love restoring so its ok

#17 59 days ago

Are the ramps cracked or damaged? if not, the ramps on this game can easily be flame polished to look like new. I did mine and everybody thought I bought new ramps. Just be careful with the whirlpool ramp, that's a tricky one to flame polish.

I wrote a procedure for doing this that was later published.

Pinside thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-my-procedure#post-833789

Published article:
http://www.performancepinball.com/flame-polishing-ramps.html

#18 59 days ago

Holy shit 650 for new ramps....wow

#19 59 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Holy shit 650 for new ramps....wow

#20 59 days ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Are the ramps cracked or damaged? if not, the ramps on this game can easily be flame polished to look like new. I did mine and everybody thought I bought new ramps. Just be careful with the whirlpool ramp, that's a tricky one to flame polish.
I wrote a procedure for doing this that was later published.
Pinside thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-my-procedure#post-833789
Published article:
http://www.performancepinball.com/flame-polishing-ramps.html

Yeah I found that out the hard way when I slightly melted the end of the funnel. Fortunately this doesn't affect the ball travel at all and didn't cause any actual damage to the plastic. Only a small price to pay for all the other ramps turning out FREAKING GORGEOUS though!!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#21 59 days ago

Yup I am very familiar with flame polishing and your right it can absolutely bring them back to life. My creature ramps look new as I did it to them. My ramps are not all that bad chances are I’ll flame polish them and sell them

#22 59 days ago

If your going to go all the way you might as well have shiny new perfect ramps. I regret selling my Wh20 back when they were cheap. I have my eye out for something like yours right now. This game is fully worth the effort.

#23 59 days ago

PM sent.

#24 55 days ago

Well, not much to report here. Basically in parts sourcing mode, after ordering parts, returning parts, and ordering more... I think I finally got all the correct parts to rebuild the power junction box. In case someone needs to do this in the future (as it's not easy to source all the parts due to naming) I have listed them here:

• Power junction box WPC-89: https://goo.gl/JDijmL
• Corcom 5VK1 EMI Line Filter: https://goo.gl/XqMoNu
• VARISTOR: https://goo.gl/1HkCQ2
• Thermistor 8amp: https://goo.gl/QeMJYD
• Fuse holder: https://goo.gl/ufTK54
• AC Service Outlet Snap-In: https://goo.gl/kbxjTs
• Box Line filter Chassis: https://goo.gl/aS8seL
• AC power inlet IEC: https://goo.gl/9KyfFT
• AC power inlet protective cap ( though it was called a boot lol): https://goo.gl/FxR4Fs
• AC Power cord: https://goo.gl/Ez2C7r
• On/Off AC Switch: https://goo.gl/FES6gG

#25 55 days ago

DUDE, seriously, stop doing this, you make my work look like shit. And, I need a money tree to keep up, not that i'm trying to keep up

#26 55 days ago

Is it a re-import then? I see the 230v sticker, prob the reason for hackers anonymous

#27 55 days ago

LOL! northerndude you do great work man, what are you talking about. Its all about fun!

However, let's just say this one I may have to take a mortgage out on my house to complete this thing. I got WAY more than I bargained for. I know why whitewater is one of the most expensive games to resotre, But no giving up!!!

yes it is an import and most likely part of the hackery

#28 55 days ago

Time for a Wet Willy avatar?

#29 54 days ago

Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I've got a complete set of ramps and playfields I'd be willing to deal with.

#31 54 days ago

Is this the white water from the playland auction?

#32 54 days ago

dsuperbee yup the infamous playland whitewater... poor thing

#33 54 days ago

More coin door hackery, some of the stuff that was done to this machine I just don’t get... like this; twist connectors with stray wires coming off? Look like the old operator was trying to hijack the coin door slots lol

29FF5AA1-4416-4AF1-B8B8-8AA3A30087BC (resized).jpeg
#34 51 days ago

This looks like quite the challenging project....I am sure you will knock it out of the park

#35 51 days ago

Well made some great progress today. Previously the coin door was not working at all. The interlock switch was nonexistent, coin switches where not working, test menu controls were not working, and the main wiring harness as seen in the post above had all sorts of hackery going on.

Took a look at the schematic, and cut soldered, heat shrink tube'd lots of wires and BINGO!! We are in business, all coin door controls work so I was able to get into the test menu, and to my pleasant surprise... all the switches where working aside from a few that needed to be re-soldered.

#36 51 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Well made some great progress today. Previously the coin door was not working at all. The interlock switch was nonexistent, coin switches where not working, test menu controls were not working, and the main wiring harness as seen in the post above had all sorts of hackery going on.
Took a look at the schematic, and cut soldered, heat shrink tube'd lots of wires and BINGO!! We are in business, all coin door controls work so I was able to get into the test menu, and to my pleasant surprise... all the switches where working aside from a few that needed to be re-soldered.

Nice! Fwiw, your topper isn't in bad shape really. If you thought the ramps were expensive, start pricing the Topper

#37 51 days ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Nice! Fwiw, your topper isn't in bad shape really. If you thought the ramps were expensive, start pricing the Topper

Yup already have a new topper done and going to try and get the wrinkle out if I can

#38 50 days ago

Yup already have a new topper done and going to try and get the wrinkle out if I can

Wrinkle out? You are very brave. This is going to be a high risk/high reward try.

#39 50 days ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I've got a complete set of ramps and playfields I'd be willing to deal with.

might be interested in a few of those ramps bryan! pm me some prices!

#40 50 days ago

Great thread

#41 50 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

might be interested in a few of those ramps bryan! pm me some prices!

I've got a complete 7 ramp set and am not willing to break it up. Sorry.

Normally $675 plus shipping, I'd let them go for $600 plus $20 shipping.

#42 50 days ago

Well the new playfield arrived. Without going into details pretty disappointed, in
some quality issues but I’ll get over that.

The larger disappointment was the blaintent disregard of customer service from micro. I was just astounded.

Onward we go
E1100488-30F4-425D-8566-E22159B2EF7F (resized).jpeg

#43 50 days ago

If you are going to state that you are disappointed we should know what your problems are. I am considering doing swaps with a few of his playfields and would like to know before I buy.

#44 50 days ago

So here is the short story. I purchased a NEW Mirco Playfield from a fellow pinsider (that's a little different story in itself). Evidentially he purchased it at TPF last year, and it has since sat in its box FLAT.

Now, the pictures the seller posted did not show the imperfections but I find it hard to believe he did not notice, and just shot them in the light that didn't present the issues. But, Like many, I bought the hype of Mirco playfields having the best clear, so at the time I was not even concerned, they are the best right!

I get the playfield and open it up and IMMEDIATELY notice lots of waves and uneven areas of the clear, almost to the point it looked like ball sized recessions in the clear. NOT NORMAL.

OR maybe I'm just being too picky / perfectionist??

I reached out to Mirco, and at first, he was pretty defensive and deflecting of helping in any way. Basically said verbatim "what do you expect me to do. when you buy a car a year later you can't just take it back to the dealer." Well, that was not helpful, and pretty abrasive but whatever.

After a long exchange of texts, trying to explain my situation and stressing that "customer service" is more important than your products, he is going to reclear it.

Now, I still have not received the return label, so we shall see... IF he does make this right I will be thankful and a believer in him and his products, where currently I was not.

I will keep you all posted.

Here are only 2 pics but what you see here is consistent throughout.

dimpl2 (resized).pngdimple (resized).png
#45 50 days ago

In brighter news made lots of progress on the teardown today. Basically got everything out of the cabinet and the playfield on the rotisserie ready to get disassembled.

Lockdown bar is a little rough and the hooks on the inside are bent, but may be able to salvage.
IMG_6478 (resized).JPG

Plumb is missing, and the wiring here is all reconciled from the previous mess it was
IMG_6479 (resized).JPG

Cabinet pretty much cleared
IMG_6502 (resized).JPG

Sending all boards out to Chris Hibler to be fixed, cleaned and beefed up
IMG_6498 (resized).JPG

For the most part, the boards are really clean
IMG_6480 (resized).JPG

Backbox Cleared
IMG_6499 (resized).JPG

Noticed something interesting on my upper playfield that I have not seen before. Does mine have a metal disk where the ball drops, wonder if this was a protoype?
IMG_6462 (resized).JPG

Topper light boards need some new light sockets anyone know the part number on these guys?
IMG_6500 (resized).JPG

Next Playfield clearing!
IMG_6490 (resized).JPG

#46 50 days ago

I am curious when that was made. Years ago Mirco did have alot of issues with clearcoat especially debris getting into the clear. He has supposedly since perfected that because his robots are doing it now. It has to be fairly new because he fixed some color issues with the playfield(see brown brim on Willys hat). He makes playfields for JJP and a few other companies. I am now curious if this is old enough to have suffered old problems and they have since been corrected? And you are not wrong Mirco gets very defensive and blames others for anything that is wrong with his products or has issues with people. Its very well documented throughout many threads on Pinside. He also gets shit done and I admire him for not taking years like others do to get projects done. Double edged sword maybe? Can't have it all I guess. I would think for 1K they should be pretty damn perfect imo.

#47 50 days ago

Topper light boards need some new light sockets anyone know the part number on these guys?

Look for 077-5207-00.

#48 50 days ago

The metal disc at the upper pf ball drop was added by someone, and isn't from the factory.

#49 49 days ago

What an absolute fiasco this playfield has been. Decided to send it back to the original seller (whom is being VERY difficult) and just order a brand new one from Mirco

#50 49 days ago

What an anbsolite fiasco this playfield has been. Decided to send it back to the original seller (whom is being VERY difficult) and just order a brand new one from micro

Crappy. Hes accepting it back?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Langhorne, PA
$ 9.95
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside