Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by cyberfez
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1597 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1596 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1580 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1579 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1578 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1571 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1573 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1319 (resized).JPEG
    IMG_0941 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0943 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0942 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0944 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0938 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0893 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Going to try to document my progress of my Fish Tales resto. I found the machine in a non-functional state. Let's see if I can bring it back to life.

This is my first pin of the 90's era.

new family membernew family member

So first thing is first I found that F114 and F115 were missing from the Power driver board. So I replaced the fuses on the PDB and the batteries in on the MPU and switched it on. Now there was a tiny bit of corrotion on one battery terminal so I clleaned it up. I inspected the board top see if there was any damage caused by the corrosion and I can see any but I will check that closer later.

corrosion on the  battery terminalcorrosion on the battery terminal

For some reason the F114 & F115 check fuses issue is now gone (could be the fuses I put in haha) and now the message is about factory settings are restored.

I turned on the machine and I hear two beeps a gap then a final beep. I see lights are mostly not working on playfield and backbox but that can wait. The leds that are on on the power driver board are LED1,2,3 are OFF and 4,5,6,7 are ON. I then tested voltages on the TPs and the results are as follows: TP 1=14.92v 2=4.97v 3=0.61v 4=3.65v 6=73.2v 7=21.7v 8=16.22v.

Power Driver BoardPower Driver Board

there were a couple BRs in the coin hopper that match the majority of the BRs on the board but a couple have been replaced.

a replaced BRa replaced BR
    I think these BRs have been replaced tooI think these BRs have been replaced too

C2 looks ok but I am going to start by taking out the PDB and testing all 5 of the BRs an inspecting C2 and C4 as I keep reading that they can affect 12v at TP3. How do I test those in situ?

C2C2

I will replace these most likely and see if they fix anything. I have also been told that C30 can also cause issues for 12v. I will check that one too. Any advice?

#2 1 year ago

Good luck!!! I have my Fish Tales refurb thread on here. Took me forever, but it was quite the learning process and adventure!

#3 1 year ago

My hats off you guys, everything is so hellishly expensive to get to you!

#4 1 year ago

it isnt too bad. Most of us order stuff together to save on shipping costs.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Good luck!!! I have my Fish Tales refurb thread on here. Took me forever, but it was quite the learning process and adventure!

Can you post a link here as most of the search results end up pages of Casters Club threads - which is fine but I would love to see rebuilds in the one spot.

2 weeks later
    #6 1 year ago

I have been documenting my progress.

#7 1 year ago

Getting it going.

#8 1 year ago

How did I figure it out?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from cyberfez:

Can you post a link here as most of the search results end up pages of Casters Club threads - which is fine but I would love to see rebuilds in the one spot.

Hey, sorry I missed this request initially.

Here you go!! - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northerndudes-fish-tales-refub-attempt/page/3#post-5521163

1 week later
    #10 1 year ago

Fixed most things:

Driver Board
    Sound board
    Left hand target
    broken plastics
    cleaned & waxed playfield
    cleaned everything
    added leds to playfield inserts and warm white leds to GI. (not backbox yet)
    topper not working - high and low voltage to J107 and there is continuity from J107 to the coil in topper but the coil does nothing when testing topper coil in test menu. Fish also has tears in it. Will need to figure out how to repair and keep it from happening again.
    next reinstal lightning flippers back to the game as there are standard flippers but not the same color.
    leveled playfield

IMG_1319 (resized).JPEGIMG_1319 (resized).JPEG

2 weeks later
    #11 1 year ago

OK replaced old non matching flippers with new lightning flippers withh translucent green rubbers, got the topper working, updated the Stretch the truth board with coloured leds, fixed some more switches, fixed pop bumpers. IMG_1571 (resized).jpgIMG_1571 (resized).jpgIMG_1578 (resized).jpgIMG_1578 (resized).jpgIMG_1573 (resized).jpgIMG_1573 (resized).jpgIMG_1579 (resized).jpgIMG_1579 (resized).jpgIMG_1580 (resized).jpgIMG_1580 (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

" updated the Stretch the truth board with coloured leds,"

have you seen Comets new colored lenses "look colored even when not lit"

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

" updated the Stretch the truth board with coloured leds,"
    have you seen Comets new colored lenses "look colored even when not lit"

I like to put condoms on like they were originally.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I like to put condoms on like they were originally.

The condoms dont fit the led conversion bulbs (warm white). So either I left it as is (incandescent bulbs with condoms) or just warm whites. I tried the WW and thought I would try some colors.

#15 1 year ago

i used colored incandecents for mine

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from cyberfez:

The condoms dont fit the led conversion bulbs (warm white). So either I left it as is (incandescent bulbs with condoms) or just warm whites. I tried the WW and thought I would try some colors.

They’ll fit. You just have to stretch them a bit.

#17 1 year ago

Geez so I got everything back and operational including the fish but now the reel motor has stopped. I put 12v to the motor and the motor turns. I checked volyage at J122-4 and J118-2 and there is 12v coming out of the PDB. I am now checking thr EMI board.
    IMG_1596 (resized).jpgIMG_1596 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1597 (resized).jpgIMG_1597 (resized).jpg

#18 1 year ago

Reflowed board and did not effect any change. doh!

#19 1 year ago

right I fixed that by replacing the tip102 and diode on the EMI board and that fixed the reel but now the reel is not calibrating.

#20 1 year ago

Ok the optos were dirty and so I cleaned it and now I am golden.

1 month later
    #21 1 year ago

It did not fix the problem. The real issue was the motor control board had some dodgy rails. It seems to work intermittently so I ditched it and got a new one. Placed it in the machine and has worked ever since.

Here is my fitting the Fishy with a PIN2DMD colour display.

3 months later
    #22 9 months ago

Project Restoration complete.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-of-my-fish-tales-in-adelaide-australia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.