EBD final (12) (resized).jpg
EBD final (11) (resized).jpg
EBD final (10) (resized).jpg
EBD final (9) (resized).jpg
EBD final (8) (resized).jpg
EBD final (7) (resized).jpg
EBD final (6) (resized).jpg
EBD final (5) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider F-2NIRO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

hi everybody
i apologise for my writing, i not speaking very well english
at first, i'll show you some pictures of the playfield, it looks not very damaged but it's wrong.
8 ball deluxe playfield (1) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (1) (resized).jpg
some details.
8 ball deluxe playfield (2) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (2) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (3) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (3) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (4) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (4) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (5) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (5) (resized).jpg
when i removed the mylar, some paint has come with it.
8 ball deluxe playfield (6) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (6) (resized).jpg
most of paint was crumbled, so i sanded the delicate parts.
8 ball deluxe playfield (8) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (8) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (9) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (9) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (10) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (10) (resized).jpg
this arrow was too damaged, so i changed it.8 ball deluxe playfield (7) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (7) (resized).jpg
for more facility, i draw the wood part with white paint.
8 ball deluxe playfield (13) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (13) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (11) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (11) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (12) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe playfield (12) (resized).jpg
now, its more easy to draw the outline
see you soon

#5 7 years ago

the following
yes, there was a lot of hours to restore it.
the drawing is too difficult and erased, we used ( i work with my wife )tracing paper .
8 ball deluxe  (1) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (1) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (2) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (2) (resized).jpg
and we transfer on the white parts of the playfield.
some pictures of the work.8 ball deluxe  (3) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (3) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (4) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (4) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (5) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (5) (resized).jpg
the painting started.
8 ball deluxe  (6) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (6) (resized).jpg
the blue area is started and the balls too8 ball deluxe  (7) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (7) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (8) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (8) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (9) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (9) (resized).jpg
curtains made of red and black lines are the most difficult parts8 ball deluxe  (11) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (11) (resized).jpg
Paint on the board is well advanced in top and bottom8 ball deluxe  (12) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (12) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (14) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (14) (resized).jpg
the smoke of the fire gun wil be the next work8 ball deluxe  (13) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (13) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe  (10) (resized).jpg8 ball deluxe (10) (resized).jpg
the next tomorrow

#7 7 years ago

hi, thank's for your interest
the trace are done so by hand in very thin brush, and are made more complicated stencil made from a shape cutting plotter cameo
in the beginning, i maded the trace like you, but when i discover this amazing machine, the plotter caméo it was a freedom for me for a good work
we use acrylic paint too, Pebeo brand.
the next

the advance of the upper part
8bdx (1) (resized).jpg8bdx (1) (resized).jpg8bdx (2) (resized).jpg8bdx (2) (resized).jpg8bdx (3) (resized).jpg8bdx (3) (resized).jpg
the middle part
8bdx (4) (resized).jpg8bdx (4) (resized).jpg8bdx (5) (resized).jpg8bdx (5) (resized).jpg
and the bottom part8bdx (6) (resized).jpg8bdx (6) (resized).jpg8bdx (7) (resized).jpg8bdx (7) (resized).jpg8bdx (8) (resized).jpg8bdx (8) (resized).jpg

thanks for reading

#9 7 years ago

hi and thanks Bax, i continue the same work.
the first step of the restoration coming to the end.

8bdx (1) (resized).jpg8bdx (1) (resized).jpg
we can see the degraded green to blue maded with an airbrush on the multiplier and 8 ball area.
all of the drawing are made with a paint brush.8bdx (2) (resized).jpg8bdx (2) (resized).jpg
Note also the 25,000 macaroon and the oil lamp8bdx (4) (resized).jpg8bdx (4) (resized).jpg8bdx (3) (resized).jpg8bdx (3) (resized).jpg
the balls in the middle of the playfield finished too.8bdx (5) (resized).jpg8bdx (5) (resized).jpg8bdx (6) (resized).jpg8bdx (6) (resized).jpg
and the bottom
8bdx (7) (resized).jpg8bdx (7) (resized).jpg
juste to finish the horse shoes.
8bdx (9) (resized).jpg8bdx (9) (resized).jpg8bdx (8) (resized).jpg8bdx (8) (resized).jpg
at this stage, I varnish the playfield with a 2K clearcoat to protect the work and facilitate the installation stencils.

#17 7 years ago

hi, thanks for your comments.
to continue this work, i've made my vector files with illustrator cs6 and the stencils are cutted by the silhouette cameo plotter.
playfield stencils (1) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (1) (resized).jpg
i use the same vynil to carry the stencil on the playfield.
some pictures of the work.
playfield stencils (2) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (2) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (4) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (4) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (6) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (6) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (3) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (3) (resized).jpg
for perfect centering for the stencil of the multiplicator area, i make two hole which correspond to the holes of the target.
playfield stencils (7) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (7) (resized).jpg
same thing for the lettering " bank shot " and the "when lit " below the 25.000playfield stencils (8) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (8) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (9) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (9) (resized).jpg
playfield stencils (10) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (10) (resized).jpg
some stencils will be installed in second time because there are stencil portions too close to one another.
the first step for the stencils is done, we must hide with paper tray areas to protect the playfield.playfield stencils (11) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (11) (resized).jpg
spraypaintplayfield stencils (12) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (12) (resized).jpg
remove all to continue.
playfield stencils (13) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (13) (resized).jpg
enrollment multiplier corridor are painted white.
too hard to paint directly on the red orange yellow on a green surface,
playfield stencils (14) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (14) (resized).jpg
the strapping of the 14 balls wil be made in two step.
playfield stencils (15) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (15) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (16) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (16) (resized).jpg
done
playfield stencils (17) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (17) (resized).jpg
for the 8 ball area, i put the positive of the stencil for good centering, and then, i put the negative part, ( the stencil )
playfield stencils (18) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (18) (resized).jpg
playfield stencils (19) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (19) (resized).jpg
doneplayfield stencils (20) (resized).jpgplayfield stencils (20) (resized).jpg

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

You know you can buy these, right?....Kidding, but keep track of your hours, really would be enlightening to those of us who would never consider this...That pf looked too far gone to me.

on the full game, we worked more than 500 hours

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

This is great art. Could you post a picture of the equipment you use to cut the stencils?
Merci.
Yves

hi guys and thanks again.
here is a picture of the robot.silhouettemainimage1 (resized).jpgsilhouettemainimage1 (resized).jpg
i bought this machine since 4 years ago, and she was very expensive, about 600$, and today the price begin cheap about 230$

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

FAN-TAS-TIC! You took one worse than mine and are making mine look like a child did it! I bow to your superior skills.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/8-ball-deluxe-playfield-reconditioning

it's not easy to restore this games without a long time of experience.
in the past, i worked in a car bodywork garage and I learned to prepare surfaces and paint spray.
my wife is an artist painter and it's easy for her to find the right colors.
together, we are strong to restore machine.

the last pictures of the first step , tomorrow, the cabinet and the back box.
for the finish, i used 2K clear coat varnish .
the end of the mutliplier maded with brush.
8bdx end (1) (resized).jpg8bdx end (1) (resized).jpg
8bdx end (2) (resized).jpg8bdx end (2) (resized).jpg
and the finish
8bdx end (3) (resized).jpg8bdx end (3) (resized).jpg8bdx end (4) (resized).jpg8bdx end (4) (resized).jpgcaption=""]
8bdx end (5) (resized).jpg8bdx end (5) (resized).jpg8bdx end (6) (resized).jpg8bdx end (6) (resized).jpg
yo can see a short video of the finished playfield .
follow this link=>

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Superb. I hope you show us the rest of the machine: cabinet, backglass, lightbox.
And we would love to see pictures of the re-assembled playfield, too.
Yves

hi all
it'll be explained later
now the cabinet, it is also not damaged as the playfield.
some pictures at first
8 ball cabinet (1) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (1) (resized).jpg
8 ball cabinet (2) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (2) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (3) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (3) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (4) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (4) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (5) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (5) (resized).jpg
closely, it's less beautiful, the paint is peeling and many scratch.
8 ball cabinet (6) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (6) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (7) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (7) (resized).jpg

it's a shame that in bally, they changed to wood quality for the cabinet fund and pediment since the six digits generation
there a kind of wood that swells with moisture.8 ball cabinet (8) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (8) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (9) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (9) (resized).jpg
we must think everything back to level out before making a coating.8 ball cabinet (10) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (10) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (11) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (11) (resized).jpg
large junction very common fault on this generation8 ball cabinet (12) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (12) (resized).jpg
to repair, I use body polyester putty.
8 ball cabinet (13) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (13) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (14) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (14) (resized).jpg
i use it also to repair the bottom of the cabinet.8 ball cabinet (15) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (15) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (16) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (16) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (17) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (17) (resized).jpg
the burglar plate, all the time rusty.
8 ball cabinet (18) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (18) (resized).jpg
some sanding and painting8 ball cabinet (19) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (19) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (20) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (20) (resized).jpg
after the polyester putty, sanding and I apply a spray coating polyestere8 ball cabinet (21) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (21) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (22) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (22) (resized).jpg
before sanding, we must put some black paint that will serve as a guide.
8 ball cabinet (23) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (23) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (24) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (24) (resized).jpg
or the rest of it black, we still sand.
8 ball cabinet (25) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (25) (resized).jpg
before putting putty on the cabinet, i put more clearcoat varnish to protect the drawing.
8 ball cabinet (26) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (26) (resized).jpg
I put the putty directly on the dry varnish then I sand all.
well, I'll find myself with a nice surface and conspicuous designs.
of course, if the designs are too deleted from, I do not do so and I erase all.
8 ball cabinet (27) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (27) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (28) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (28) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (29) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (29) (resized).jpg
everything is sanded8 ball cabinet (30) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (30) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (31) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (31) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (33) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (33) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (32) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (32) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (34) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (34) (resized).jpg
I clean the mounting holes with the dremel drill8 ball cabinet (35) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (35) (resized).jpg

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

If you ever decide to repaint the whole cabinet, this is your solution:
http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=486
Yves

thanks for the link, but I only use stencils only when the designs are completely erased.
but be aware that the finishing brush is greater than the quality stencil to the touch.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Nice to see the cabinet is getting a lot of love as well. A lot of work for something that doesn't have a ball rolling across it....but machine will be a rockstar all over when you complete.

normal, it is a 8 ball deluxe

#45 7 years ago

cleaning rooms, so this will only all that is visible.
I saw on this site, the pinsider doing renovation work in every corner of the game, it's really good job.
this deluxe 8ball is for one of my clients and it does not want to go too far in the restoration to financial reasons.

many oxidation on the parts8 ball cabinet (37) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (37) (resized).jpg
all parts gone into the thumbler machine.
8 ball cabinet (38) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (38) (resized).jpg
i add an abrasive product called mirror in france.
after more than 24 hours, all the screw are good glossy.
but it doesen't work on the bumper cups ??
8 ball cabinet (39) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (39) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (40) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (40) (resized).jpg
always for financial reasons, no new targets set, so i restore them, i don't use retrobright system, I think it weakens the plastic.
8 ball cabinet (41) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (41) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (42) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (42) (resized).jpg
first, i clean the target with alcohol and i sanded to remove the inlay.
8 ball cabinet (43) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (43) (resized).jpg
stencils, paint and clearcoat varnish=>
8 ball cabinet (45) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (45) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (44) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (44) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (46) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (46) (resized).jpg

to clean métal parts, i use at first a syntetic disc.
on this picture he's very worn 8 ball cabinet (47) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (47) (resized).jpg
and then, i finish with a very thin flap disc, for the first step.
7_moyenne (resized).jpg7_moyenne (resized).jpg
finishing is done in two steps to the drum polishing with cotton discs.
some before / after photos showing the result.
the gold effect on the bumper cups is a résult of the light ^^.
8 ball cabinet (50) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (50) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (51) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (51) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (60) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (60) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (62) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (62) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (63) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (63) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (58) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (58) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (59) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (59) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (48) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (48) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (49) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (49) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (56) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (56) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (57) (resized).jpg8 ball cabinet (57) (resized).jpg
a video of a polish method, sorry, explanations are in french, but the images are talking

#46 7 years ago

hi guys

I started by painting around the backbox to the spray gun.
the rest of the design protected with tape bodybuilder.
0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg

Then, the rest of the work was done with a brush.
the black first.
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
some pictures of advanced retouching2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (2) (resized).jpg3 (2) (resized).jpg3 (1) (resized).jpg3 (1) (resized).jpg
it's over, it's the flash that shows traces in the dark.
it'll disappear with varnish4 (1) (resized).jpg4 (1) (resized).jpg4 (2) (resized).jpg4 (2) (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg
the cabinet.
6 (resized).jpg6 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg8 (resized).jpg
this seems finished but up close, we still see some flaws9 (2) (resized).jpg9 (2) (resized).jpg
done
11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg13 (2) (resized).jpg13 (2) (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg
I use the varnish is water-based.
it is placed in mini foam roller.
the appearance is between matt and satin and is very similar to the original appearance.
15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg
pictures against day (it's varnish)16 (2) (resized).jpg16 (2) (resized).jpg16 (1) (resized).jpg16 (1) (resized).jpg
next step, reassembly

#49 7 years ago

here is the rest of this tread
i've made a vector file to restore the apron, first sanding and paint.
i haven't made stencils for it because it's very difficult.
the vector file helped me to print the drawing on a very thin water paper decal.
then protected with two coat of varnish.
EBD final (1) (resized).jpgEBD final (1) (resized).jpgEBD final (2) (resized).jpgEBD final (2) (resized).jpgEBD final (3) (resized).jpgEBD final (3) (resized).jpgEBD final (4) (resized).jpgEBD final (4) (resized).jpg
i bought an EBD plastickset, and for so many years, they do not repair errors
sub sets have holes centering errors and other parts do not have the right form
EBD final (5) (resized).jpgEBD final (5) (resized).jpg
to make the right part, I use polycarbonate sheet
EBD final (6) (resized).jpgEBD final (6) (resized).jpg
metal pads are crimped with a soldering iron.
EBD final (7) (resized).jpgEBD final (7) (resized).jpg
reassembling of the playfield.
EBD final (8) (resized).jpgEBD final (8) (resized).jpg
I always check the proper functioning of bulbs with power laboratories because some bulbs are difficult to access once the tray back up.
EBD final (9) (resized).jpgEBD final (9) (resized).jpgEBD final (10) (resized).jpgEBD final (10) (resized).jpg
some pictures of the finished game.EBD final (11) (resized).jpgEBD final (11) (resized).jpgEBD final (12) (resized).jpgEBD final (12) (resized).jpgEBD final (13) (resized).jpgEBD final (13) (resized).jpgEBD final (14) (resized).jpgEBD final (14) (resized).jpgEBD final (15) (resized).jpgEBD final (15) (resized).jpgEBD final (16) (resized).jpgEBD final (16) (resized).jpgEBD final (17) (resized).jpgEBD final (17) (resized).jpgEBD final (18) (resized).jpgEBD final (18) (resized).jpgEBD final (19) (resized).jpgEBD final (19) (resized).jpgEBD final (20) (resized).jpgEBD final (20) (resized).jpg
and a short movie.

thanks for reading

#54 7 years ago

thanks guy, for captive_ball, i have also the medusa.
I think these are the best beautifull games ever made.

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider F-2NIRO.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-of-a-8-ball-deluxe-very-damaged?tu=F-2NIRO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.