(Topic ID: 19062)

Restoration Help - "What would you do?"

By Chudmeat

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20120624_115130.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Should I try to sand this down and repaint then mylar OR should I just mylar? OR....??? 20120624_115130.jpg20120624_115130.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Looks like a good cleaning should get most of it. Magic eraser should get rid of the ball swirl. However, what needs to be asked is what caused the damage there (it looks like the ball may have been hitting the plastic and getting driven down). So ask yourself what is causing the ball to go up instead of roll. If you can make that determination and corresponding repairs, that will give you the answer about clear coating the area or adding a strip of mylar. Enjoy your game.

#3 11 years ago

Id do a good cleaning, looks like that area is too bad. If the playfield had more problems Id think about fixing everything at once then clearcoating. Small fixes can look weird after awhile.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a normal wear spot for all Shadow games because its a magnet/ball burn in. Granted this wear isn't nearly as bad as other TS games I've seen. But it definitely has wore through a little bit of the diamond plate and is starting to form a divot.

PS. I've installed brand new Ooooshiney balls from PL.

#5 11 years ago

Sanctum wear is normal for that pin. Sand and paint it then clear it (not mylar).

its the magnet under it that does it.

#6 11 years ago

I think I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Maybe this should be moved to Tech Help.

#7 11 years ago

Clean it and mylar it, it'll last long term then.

#8 11 years ago

First press firmly on the area with your finger to determine if it's solid. Mine looked similar but the wood under the paint had started to splinter requiring a full repair. If solid, clean with ME, wax and mylar.

#9 11 years ago

Just bumping this to get mondays crew's opinions. Thanks!

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

Just bumping this to get mondays crew's opinions. Thanks

The wear on that is minimal compared to what I normally see on those. Personally, if it doesn't bother you that much, clean and mylar. If you don't do that, the next thing I would do is the overlay- http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Decal/zd1playf.html and then if you want to work a lot more than that, mask, paint, spot clear, mylar.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-help-what-would-you-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.