3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jp1985
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider enchantress.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

One the reasons I’m writing this is because I’m curious if anyone else has received their very expensive pin, from this well known “High End” restorer, in a questionable condition. Or, did I get the “ONE” lemon that has ever come out of his shop. All in, with initial purchase, parts, labor and shipping cost I could have nearly purchased a 2021 Honda Civic, paid an annual mortgage of a modest house or taken my lady out to sushi 225 times. I waited for this pin restoration 6-7 months after I personally delivered it 1300 miles. Which was completely acceptable by me. Upon receiving it after completion, is where this all went south. Even though the wooden palate seemed quite adequate, the cushion between the painted side rails and top of the backbox seemed to have gotten neglected. Causing rub marks, one on each rail and two on the top of the head. As we went to set it up, we unwrapped the painted legs and noticed that all four were significantly scratched. Once on all fours, we powered it on only to see service error codes being thrown. Before we could play one game, the costly after market lighted apron went out. Lifting up the playfield, which is super snug to the sides of the cabinet, we noticed that the ball diverter arm came unscrewed and the hardware was somewhere loose within the cabinet. Upon resolving that issue we carefully lowered the playfield only to note that a switch bracket at the far back of the playfield dug into the cabinet causing a significant gouge. Looking closer at the playfield we noticed that one of the rubber squares had come off pulling the paint with it. That was found up under one of the plastics. I remember in reading the progress blogs that someone had questioned whether blackening the pins components was practical for game play longevity. The concept was re-assured by the restorer and that this has been done numerous times previously with no issues. With maybe only 30 games played, each game reveals more paint flecks through out the playfield and on the flipper rubbers. We’ve had to replace a couple switches, change out the completely rusted balls and cut that switch bracket at an angle and send it back to powder coating. All at our time and dime! In reaching out to the restorer at first, I would get a motivational speech "That I could do it”! and that with owning pins, this is something that is typical maintenance. Really…..? This pin is days old and I paid all this money for what? To restore this pin myself. The restorer sent a replacement part for me to re-build the apron, switches to re-solder, paint to use for touch-up and new legs. After confronting him with more concerns, I was told that all these problems are acceptable and out of his control. He was no way at fault because he has 20 yrs in the trade!? He also commented that I “Must Be New" to the hobby and that these issues are not to be concerned with unless "I don’t know what I’m doing"!? I must say that he is always available for a pep talk and to make excuses, but has never accepted any responsibility or offered up any apologies. So, am I the only one left with a bad taste in my mouth? or….. To be clear, I am not trying to defame his reputation - just stating the (unfortunate for me and my family) facts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider enchantress.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-buzz-kill?tu=enchantress and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.