Topic poll

“Should a repo back glass reduce price of the pinball in question?”

• Yes 4 votes
    29%
  • No 10 votes
    71%

(14 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Ok, not a tech restoration question but still dealing with restoration. A Target Pool pin has a brand new Ron Webb Repro back glass replacing the old. Should this not lower the price instead of raising it per the Pinside website price guide?

It has been shopped but still think it should but under the Pinside $600.00 that is for average priced pins instead of $150.00 above?

Is there a percentage that is or should be given on a repo back glass? Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

The Pinside price seems a little high to me. Boston Pinball Ebay guide shows an average of around $400. In my opinion, old classic games in this very low price bracket don't flex much with repro parts - a nice glass, repro or original, is a simply a nice glass and that is desirable. As long as the repro is of high quality, it shouldn't have much bearing on the overall price, unless a buyer is totally opposed to repro glass.

I would price the game as a whole all things considered, and just list in ad descriptions and inform interested buyers of any repro parts on the game. If someone wants a percentage off, then you'll have to make the decision at the time if that is in your best interests.

#3 6 years ago

That's a nice wedge head machine for a decent price as it sits I think.

#4 6 years ago

The basic subtext of your question seems to be why are pinball games not priced like they would be if the buyer was a museum where only original pristine is of value. The answer is they are but that procing only holds for pristine original games. All the rest- 99% of them, are purchased based upon these two things- a solid playing game that looks great.

If you have a PRISTiNE original then yes a repro probably devalues it if you pull out the perfect original glass and replace it. If you have a game with a crap glass I think the repro increases its value.

#5 6 years ago

There is a only one simple question based on your initial inquiry.
"What is the quality of the reproduction backglass?"
Tempered ink screening, modern heat sealed laminate glass, plexiglass screen, poly print, adhesive transfer, paper?
There are many more types of image creation, I could list.
Even between producers of ink screened backglasses there are differences in quality, some good, some poor.
Shay Group BGs in general are better quality for example than CPR, as too many liberties are taken with the artwork change.

Ron Webb makes quality reproductions, not poor examples.
He has made backglasses for over 25+ years (privately, at minimum, before even providing to the public).
Equal or greater than an original quality unless it is a NOS factory glass, increases the game value as one of the primary "big four" areas of consideration.

Playfield, backglass, mechanics, cabinet in this direct, specific evaluation order regarding electromechanical games.
SS games are a bit different as the order is prioritized as playfield, mechanics, backglass (many times translite, unless missing), electronics, and cabinet .
This SS change is due to the increase in complicated assemblies with hard to find parts, although there are some exceptions to this rule such as Bally's Nip-It 'Ballgator' assembly.

You also need to look at the collectibility of the title itself in order to determine final pricing, as one area cannot be exclusively determinate for value.

One area that is constantly misunderstood (especially presently based on new hobbyists) and was not mentioned is EM cabinets. Restenciling cabinets, especially improperly with incorrect factory pantone colors and speckling actually DECREASES value dramatically for games. People need to leave cabinets (and badly touching up backglasses) alone to avoid the "kindergarten crayon" effect, if not familiar with proper techniques.

You can PM me for photos regarding the game evaluation, as I do not provide price value appraisals on this forum.
I speak from the experience of developing my own screening films including required vectoring and reproductions of backglasses, and many other areas of restoration.

Keep flipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-and-price and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.