Topic Stats

• 107 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 169 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

201504_Nine-old-HV-section.jpg
201504_Nine-done-with-supers.jpg
201504_Nine-Old-flipperL1.jpg
201504_Nine-old-slipper-R1.jpg
201504_Nine-installed3-check-pics.jpg
201504_Nine-installed-check-pics4.jpg
201504_Nine-installed-done.jpg
201504_Nine-installed-done2.jpg
201504_Nine-inert-ends-not-plug.jpg
201504_Nine-more-clip-flat.jpg
201504_Nine-clip-wires-flat-at-PF.jpg
201504_Nine-prep-molex-tool.jpg
201504_Nine-coil-ready.jpg
201504_Nine-one-thourgh-one-wrapped.jpg
201504_Nine-coil-ready2.jpg
201504_Nine-separate-and-tin.jpg

There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Just had a look, and The Pinball Resource has them (the posts). It's in the U.S. so I guess it's more practical for you.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from aKa:

Just had a look, and The Pinball Resource has them (the posts). It's in the U.S. so I guess it's more practical for you.

Oh, I'm confused I thought you were swapping out the machine screw posts that go into the red plastic star posts... (that's what I was complaining about.)
-mof

#53 5 years ago

You mean those ? :
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2078

edit :found them at pinball life

#54 5 years ago

2 hours of cleaning and re-assembling the drop target assembly. What a piece of work that beast is.
Replaced the 2 sets of 11 lights next to the 8-bank with new bulbs.

FINALLY got to play a game and witness earning the special and capturing balls for multiball. I couldn't do any of that before with a broken wire and switch not set up correctly. It's still a finicky B/S drop target mess, but it's kinda working now. Hey, at least the entire assembly is cleaned up.

-mof

#55 5 years ago

Next up -- swapping sound cables and troubleshooting the lack of all sound.
Can I swap sound boards between Nine Ball and Seawitch? Are the unique sound chips on the sound board, or the MPU?
-mof

#56 5 years ago

They are swappable, no ROMs to worry about. It may sound a little bit different, but there is only one sound board for the MPU-200 machines.

#57 5 years ago

Sound problem solved. It was simply the 16pin sound cable. It had 2 pins disconnected. I hacked in two small wires into the system and it worked. Only strange this is that now the start up tones are lower in pitch than expected -- but game play sounds normal as far as I can tell...

Found a spare part in a box from an old spinner (thanks pinballrus) to replace the homemade spinner hanging switch wire on there.

-mof

I'll take some pics tomorrow night -- I'd like to identify the spinner that's on there right now. Something tells me it's not stock -- but the length of the spinner arms are both correct.

#58 5 years ago

Next up: Switch tests and solenoid tests. (or troubleshoot the displays). and 3-prong plug.
-mof

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'll take some pics tomorrow night -- I'd like to identify the spinner that's on there right now. Something tells me it's not stock -- but the length of the spinner arms are both correct.

Your spinner looks correct....it matches IPDB. This spinner is a one trick pony with the extended arm on one side.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Your spinner looks correct....it matches IPDB. This spinner is a one trick pony with the extended arm on one side.

As always, tyvm.
I wonder what the "S" is for -- what could it mean? Stern???
-mof

#61 5 years ago

I can't imagine it would mean anything else

#62 5 years ago

3-prong plug installed. (rough night)
-mof

#63 5 years ago

Display ghosting problem solved thanks to this article:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-stern-meteor-ghosting-displays?tu=schudel5

My game accidentally came with a 4-set of 6-digit displays, doh!
-mof

#64 5 years ago

New problem to solve, spinner doesn't hang properly.
Looking for help here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spinner-balance
-mof

#65 5 years ago

Jealous, I tried to get a nine Ball in a deal with a friend but a friend closer to him got it. Love these early Sterns - Nine Ball, Galaxy, Meteor.

#66 5 years ago

I made myself a 1/16" polycarbonate spinner spacer to prevent the spinner from jamming right and knocking itself out of the spinner frame. (rather unique to this hanging spinner over the PF format)

This one won't work for the function required. I made the through hole too big. I'll try again later...

-mof
201504_Nine-spinner-washer.jpg201504_Nine-spinner-washer2.jpg

#67 5 years ago

Spinner rotation alignment problem! It was definitely a lack of tension by the switch below. It never pulls down enough to bring the spinner back to a consistent short end down position. I'll try McGyvering something before I buy a new switch.

-mof

#68 5 years ago

How is the alignment now? Switch orientation and where it is mounted can affect alignment. Does the linkage go straight down through the hole or is it angled slightly? Remember, the tension of the switch could be pulling the spinner into perfect alignment as far as gravity is concerned, but depending on the angle of the playfield, the bottom edge may lean forward a bit.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

How is the alignment now? Switch orientation and where it is mounted can affect alignment. Does the linkage go straight down through the hole or is it angled slightly? Remember, the tension of the switch could be pulling the spinner into perfect alignment as far as gravity is concerned, but depending on the angle of the playfield, the bottom edge may lean forward a bit.

I nailed it.
* Added tension by adding a part from a EOS switch to increase tension
* reversed the leaf that was installed backwards
* wrapped the leaf material backwards around the hanging arm (through the playfield)

1. it now scores ALL spins
2. I can get about 40 revolutions on a good spin (on my other games I can get as good as 60 spins)
-mof

(pics later)

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Spinner rotation alignment problem! It was definitely a lack of tension by the switch below. It never pulls down enough to bring the spinner back to a consistent short end down position. I'll try McGyvering something before I buy a new switch.
-mof

The offset weight of the spinner itself should normally bring itself back to center. The switch should just be along for the ride and not introduce any influence to the environment.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

The offset weight of the spinner itself should normally bring itself back to center. The switch should just be along for the ride and not introduce any influence to the environment.

That's what I was thinking originally...
-mof

#72 5 years ago

Try #2 at a spinner washer came out AWESOME. I made the through hole much smaller, so that the spacer would NOT trickle back down, and lose its purpose in life.

Now I'm 100% confident the spacer will lock and hold in place and prevent the spinner from jamming right and out of position on a strong hit.

201504_Nine-awesome-washer1.jpg201504_Nine-awesome-washer2.jpg201504_Nine-awesome-solution.jpg

#73 5 years ago

Added a support from a bag of used EOS switch supplies to keep tension in the system to try and lure the spinner to a more vertical position. Works great, but the angle of the spinner isn't perfect, but it's consistent, and the ball strikes are resulting in a good little spin, so it's a big improvement. The important thing is the leaf was flipped around to where it should be, and now the scoring is great.

-mof

201504_Nine-better-rein2.jpg201504_Nine-better-spinner-reinforcements.jpg201504_Nine-better-spinner1.jpg201504_Nine-better-spinner2.jpg201504_Nine-better-spinner3.jpg201504_Nine-better-spinner4.jpg

#74 5 years ago

This week:
* remove big-drops AGAIN and try and get them all to work properly (I have a few backup targets from a Big Game now)
* clean flipper buttons
* replace flipper button switches
* replace flipper assemblies when they come on Monday from Terry !
* fine tune pop (swap out sleeve)
-mof

#75 5 years ago

2 hours well spent while the Giants shut down the Dodgers behind Bumgarner.
One of my favorite parts of a shop job is the apron and the ball eject area.
-mof

BEFORE -- untouched for 35 years maybe? Find me some Goo Gone for the apron!
201504_Nine-apron-before1.jpg
201504_Nine-apron-before2.jpg

AFTER -- I used 0000 steel wool and water to get 35 years of gunk and crud off the metal pieces, then I buffed them on the wheel, then ran 'em through the ultrasonic, then waxed 'em. I just focused on the inside part that touches the ball. My goal is to create a CRISP loud pop when the ball is served up. It should sound like a new game.

201504_Nine-after1.jpg201504_Nine-after2.jpg201504_Nine-after3.jpg201504_Nine-after4.jpg

#76 5 years ago

Time to move a post!
Some idiot didn't have the ability to punch a broken post back out through the PF and install the post right back in the same hole. Instead, he chose to create a new hole in a bizarre spot.
Damn hacks.
-mof

201504_Nine-wrong-hole.jpg
201504_Nine-hole-filled.jpg201504_Nine-hole-filled2.jpg201504_Nine-hole-filled3.jpg

#77 5 years ago

Time to attack the drops.
I picked up some used Big Game drops off ebay for $20. Good thing I had him ship the pins and arms of the drops -- look at the hack included in my original set!
Which pin doesn't belong ???
Also, one of the arms got really worn. I had to take the dremel to it and remove all that extra material that could eat against the plastic.
-mof
201504_Nine-used-drops1.jpg
201504_Nine-used-drops2.jpg201504_Nine-used-drops3.jpg201504_Nine-used-drops4.jpg

#78 5 years ago

HOLY CATS!
The drops play GREAT now. I found out why they weren't dropping all the way down (my mistake on not putting the lower rod in correctly on one side. They REALLY all snap well now. I'm very happy.
-mof

#79 5 years ago

Switch 4 isn't always registering. I'll flip over the switch that's installed backwards (like every other leaf on the game)
-mof

201504_Nine-switch4-backwards.jpg201504_Nine-switch4-backwards2.jpg201504_Nine-switch4-backwards3.jpg

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Mike, The switch on a Stern game and especially Nineball does have an influence. The tension has to be slightly positive.

#81 5 years ago

Quick question, what happens if I keep restoring this game?

SCORES GO UP

"The more you restore, the better the score!" (c) -mof

Previous HS was like 1,080,000.

I'm hitting the 30-hour mark, and that's typically where a game really comes together in terms of playability. I need to adjust the pop better, and we are there.

201504_Nine-the-more-you-restore-the-better-the-score.jpg

#82 5 years ago

Very cool mof. This game is a lot of fun to play and can be mean too. Just the way I like games. Keeps you coming back because you know you can have that one ball where you roll up a great score.

#83 5 years ago

Three important deliveries arrived:

PBL: flipper kits
Big-Daddy Enterprises: HV SBD rebuild kit (lower right)
Docent Electronics: New Sound-MPU ribbon cables

I'm so grateful to be restoring pinball machines in 2015. Using the internet to order parts, and having great vendors make this so easy.

-mof

201504_Nine-Big-daddy-order2.jpg
201504_Nine-Docent-electronics-order.jpg201504_Nine-thankyou-terry.jpg

#84 5 years ago

Slings could be more responsive. They are tuned well. It's time to re-sleeve the solenoids, and clean the heck out of 'em.
-mof

DIRTY SIDE
201504_Nine-sling-clean.jpg
CLEAN SIDE
201504_Nine-sling-dirty.jpg
AFTER CLEANING
201504_Nine-sling-ultrasonic.jpg
BUFF THE TIP
201504_Nine-nce-polish.jpg

#85 5 years ago

I like to have all my cabinet power switches in the same orientation. Pull towards you to power on, not left, not right not back.

Of course, any small metal brackets...

MUST.
BE.
BUFFED.

-mof

BEFORE
201504_Nine-light-switch-before.jpg
AFTER
201504_Nine-light-switch-after.jpg
INSTALLED
201504_Nine-light-switch-installed.jpg

#86 5 years ago

Should I clean up these flipper buttons and switches? You be the judge.
-mof

201504_Nine-button-gross!.jpg201504_Nine-button-gross!2.jpg201504_Nine-old-switch1.jpg201504_Nine-old-switch2.jpg

#87 5 years ago

Ok, you talked me into it.
SHAZZAM !
I strapped on a titanium sack, grabbed my butane micro torch, and tried to blend away the dry powdery look on the buttons. The results were mixed. The plastic darkened a little (ok), but they did shine up. There may have been a tad of bubbling from doing this, but it may have already been there. I didn't touch the outside of the buttons, where the fingers touch, since there's no room for error there.
I think it was an improvement.

-mof

201504_Nine-all-clean1.jpg
Polished one on the right
201504_Nine-all-flame-polished.jpg

#88 5 years ago

Here are the switches installed, lined up, and with hair trigger feel. Love it.
-mof

201504_Nine-new-switch1.jpg201504_Nine-new-switch2.jpg201504_Nine-new-switch3.jpg201504_Nine-new-switch4.jpg

#89 5 years ago

Get those flippers rebuilt and we'll have ourselves a PLAYER here!
-mof

201504_Nine-Old-flipperL3.jpg
#90 5 years ago

Here is the situation on the old flippers:
I want the new flippers molexed in so I can remove them in seconds if I ever want to make an adjustment. Here are my steps:

-mof

201504_Nine-Old-flipperL1.jpg
201504_Nine-old-flipperL2.jpg

#91 5 years ago

Let's start by clipping the wires with enough room to molex on either side (I want about 2" of available length on either side, so I'm really looking for a flat midpoint... think twice, cut once.)
-mof

201504_Nine-old-flipper-R2.jpg
201504_Nine-old-flipperL4.jpg

#92 5 years ago

Next step. Clip the colored wires at the lugs, and clean them up, and strip the ends. For molex, you only strip about 3/16". For the yellow wires, just pick the longest one, and cut 4 equal wires, and strip and tin one end, when you feel good about all 4 lengths, then strip + tin the other ends.
-mof
201504_Nine-wires-clipped-at-lugs.jpg201504_Nine-wires-clipped-at-lugs-R.jpg
MOLEX ENDS ON RIGHT
201504_Nine-new-coil-lug-wires.jpg201504_Nine-switch-wires.jpg

#93 5 years ago

Next step, attach the female molex crimp contact sockets to the wires.

Then insert your wires, and being to emulate the angles to match how it will sit in the system. This may mean shortening a few wires and re-tinning them.

-mof

201504_Nine-add-molex-crimp-contact-sockets.jpg 201504_Nine-insert-plastic-trim-ends.jpg 201504_Nine-insert-plastic-trim-ends2.jpg 201504_Nine-molex-ready.jpg
#94 5 years ago

Separate the switch contacts a bit, and tin them.
-mof

201504_Nine-separate-and-tin.jpg
#95 5 years ago

Next, take the soldering iron on a lower temp, like 650F and push down on each lug so that you free up a bigger opening in each one. Be careful, too much heat will put wear and tear on the plastic. Push down, and collapse the wires a bit.

Now you can estimate where you'll be aiming your wires. For the coils that share two wires on one lug, be prepared to have a lot of wire available to wrap the second wire around. I find it tough to get TWO wires through the lugs, and so this is my preferred style. You want physical contact, and then solder on top of that.

Focus on getting your molex to cleanly aim off to one side to mimic how the wires will flow from the coil on the playfield.

-mof

201504_Nine-one-thourgh-one-wrapped.jpg
201504_Nine-coil-ready.jpg
201504_Nine-coil-ready2.jpg

#96 5 years ago

We're done on the bench.

Wipe off and clean your hanging wires hanging from the playfield, and strip/install the crimp contact pins.

I like to prep the crimp contacts with some pressure BEFORE I insert them so that the insulation doesn't catch.

-mof

201504_Nine-clip-wires-flat-at-PF.jpg 201504_Nine-more-clip-flat.jpg 201504_Nine-prep-molex-tool.jpg 201504_Nine-inert-ends-not-plug.jpg
#97 5 years ago

Next step is to install the molex connector receptacle in such a way that it matches and aligns with the location of the molex connector jack coming off the coil.

Take your time with this and get it right the first time.

-mof

201504_Nine-installed-done.jpg 201504_Nine-installed-done2.jpg
#98 5 years ago

Final step. Compare pics before and after -- ensure you have the right colors on each lug, and make sure you have the right colored wires coming in and going out of each molex connector.
-mof

LOOK GOOD?
201504_Nine-installed3-check-pics.jpg

WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE?
201504_Nine-Old-flipperL1.jpg201504_Nine-installed-check-pics4.jpg

#99 5 years ago

GOLLY !
We are good to go, playing like a boss.
Now to stretch some super bands on and bruise up my thumbs real good...
-mof

201504_Nine-done-with-supers.jpg
#100 5 years ago

At 35 hours in, it's official this game plays...
G-G-G-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-EAT !!!
I now officially recommend putting Nine Ball on your Wish List.
-mof

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 107 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside