Never let a grand wizard mess with your balls...
Or do you...?
We may never know the story behind Stern's Nine Ball from 1980, but it involves... nine ball billiards, and a wizard with the ability to shoot electricity from his finger-tips.
After getting a 1980 Stern Seawitch, I realized I had made a mistake and should have pursued a few more early Sterns (Nine Ball and Big Game) before filling my space with Williams and Bally machines.
A local Pinsider sold me his Nine Ball to free up some space. It had been sitting in his barn for 12+ years, with no MPU. Hopefully we'll get the thing to boot up before sundown -- it's gonna be a long day, but I'm gonna do this right...
Pin unload: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-nine-ball-mof-20150405#post-2368910
Diagnosing bad displays: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-nine-ball-mof-20150405#post-2369071
PARTS/GRADES (5.5) overall
* Apron: 5: has some noticeable bad scratches that are more than "character flaws", replacement would be "very nice to have"
* Boards: 5: Everything seems to be working. I had to drop an Alltek MPU in there. (I haven't flipped the boards over yet to check for hacks). SDB has lots of issues. Will be rebuilding the HV section.
* Cabinet: 6: pretty fair shape. Good paint, decent seams, good shine, but a few deep long scratches. bondo/sanding in the future and repaint/stencil no question, but I can definitely enjoy it in current state.
* Backglass: 6: has a blown out corner. I already have a repro from John G.
* Displays: 4: A few segments and age related issues. Not perfect, but hopefully usable.
* Inner Cab: 8: Looks very good at first glance
* Legs: 6: Legs are painted grey, original, and have some weird scratches on them. The paint has actually stopped all rust, which is a nice thing. Two feet are stuck in there good. (sigh)
* Plastics: 6: has a decent set on there, I don't think there are too many "see-through" holes. Just two breaks/cracked pieces. Definitely need to flatten them all.
* Playfield: 5: Considerable wear. Cupped inserts. A few raised arrow inserts. Haven't checked to see how flat it is just yet.
* Pop cap: 7: aged blue, but 100% intact. decent.
* Shooter and Assembly: 6: needs a good polish. beehive plastic is kinda faded.
* Side Rails: 6: Flat and clean, all nails present. Didn't see any major bumps at first glance. Left edge has a strange long scrape on it.
* Smells: 7: Smells like an old game without that "rat piss" or "mold" or "coackroach" flavor to it. Not too bad actually.
* Transformer: 7: Looks decent.
Shopping List ($1000 budget, $625 current, $375 left)
* Alltek MPU $225 (have em)
* Repro BG $175 (have em)
* flipper bats $7 (have em)
* flipper rubbers $3 (have em)
* flipper switches $10 (have em)
* 2 new flipper mechs and solenoids $80 (have em)
* lamp sockets $10 (have em)
* leg levelers $5 (have em)
* rubber kit $15 (Marco)
* shooter spring $1 (have em)
* solenoid sleeves $10 (have em)
* solenoid caps from big-daddy $15 (have em)
* HV rebuild kit $20 (have em)
* Extra used drops $20 (have em)
* Stern sticker $5
* Credit sticker $5
* Backglass trim $20
SOMEDAY $1080: New PF $500+, Stencils $150, Cab repaint $300, Plastics $130