9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by blownfuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61aEMiJVkSL._SL1500_.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I realize this is a general woodworking question.

I just got my first pinball with a clear coated playfield. And I'm thinking of proceeding with caution. I've noticed several places where holes are not exactly where they should be, and there's some tweaking to do. Everything is already installed (I didn't do the work), and I'm wondering how to make major changes if desired.

If it is determined that a hole for a post must move 1/16", therefore still using some of the original hole's diameter, what's the best way to accomplish this?

Feel free to link me vids rather than explain this if you know of a good resource.

thanks!
    -mof

#2 9 years ago

Plug the hole with wood/glue. redrill in the desired location. Use a center punch to mark before drilling to ensure the drill bit drills where you want it to.

#3 9 years ago

My personal method would be to use a general 5 minute epoxy. Not JB Weld or anything like that. You want something that is nice and runny. Fill the original hole then drill your new hole. If the hole goes all the way through, I just put a piece of painters tape on the underside.

The epoxy will be solid, but rubbery enough to take threads like wood.

Something like this, that you can buy at any home improvement store:

61aEMiJVkSL._SL1500_.jpg61aEMiJVkSL._SL1500_.jpg

#4 9 years ago

I agree with this but I like a slower set so the plywood surrounding the hole absorbs some of the epoxy and makes it harder. Also, to avoid a cleanup mess, lay a little blue tape around the hole you intend to plug. Since the first fill will soak into the plywood a little giving it a lot of bite, on the second fill, I mix some sawdust into the epoxy making it more like plywood when it dries. Then you can predrill the hole in it's new location.

Steve

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My personal method would be to use a general 5 minute epoxy. Not JB Weld or anything like that. You want something that is nice and runny. Fill the original hole then drill your new hole. If the hole goes all the way through, I just put a piece of painters tape on the underside.
    The epoxy will be solid, but rubbery enough to take threads like wood.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-how-move-a-hole-close-to-a-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.