201507_Gor-start-button.jpg
201507_Gor-insert.jpg
201507_Gor-insert-out.jpg
201507_Gor-insert-in3.jpg
201507_Gor-insert-cleaning-hole.jpg
201507_Gor-insert-in2.jpg
201507_Gor-insert-in.jpg
201504_Gor-fire-proof.jpg
There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 8 years ago

Here's the back of the 3 panels, with a little bit of extra stability. I'm giving two panels a "third leg of the table" so to speak to reduce flex-ability.

Also, just had to throw a HOT TIP out there: Save all your cracked/broken tupperware for "parts" -- I proudly have a few screws from 19+ pinball machines thrown in here (nothing from the outside world) -- and EVERY single project I work on I find 1 screw in here that I need. Also, save some/all your old EOS switches, I've re-used a lot of the parts building things that I needed in a pinch.

-mof

Stability
20150606_Gor-MCGyver.jpg20150606_Gor-MCGyver.jpg
Save your Parts

20150606_Spare-parts.jpg20150606_Spare-parts.jpg

#152 8 years ago

LOL, you can have it, it's caused me to lose/spend much more money than I can afford.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

PS: I won the Internet.
-mof

2 weeks later
#153 8 years ago

The smallest of steps is STILL a valid and good step...
-mof

BEFORE
201506_GOR-is-it-rusty.jpg201506_GOR-is-it-rusty.jpg
AFTER
201506_Gor-derusted-cleaned-waxed.jpg201506_Gor-derusted-cleaned-waxed.jpg

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The smallest of steps is STILL a valid and good step...

No question about it. The whole restoration process is many such steps. Evaporust and/or sanding and/or polishing?

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

No question about it. The whole restoration process is many such steps. Evaporust and/or sanding and/or polishing?

I have to learn to prioritize -- especially on this project.

Just going evaporust > metal polish > wax for now.

On a few upcoming restores, I'll be more inclined to polish and then clear the prop bar.

-mof

#156 8 years ago

The bar looks great as it is.

1 week later
#157 8 years ago

39k resistors arrived from GPE, and they were swapped out.
-mof

#158 8 years ago

I did my first re-glued in insert last night.
Next time I'll use 5-minute dry not the slow-dry.
I have a few questions for vid1900, but I'll ask in his playfield thread.
-mof

Before: you can push one side and it falls into the hole, since the plastic is much narrower than the hole after 36 years.
201507_Gor-insert.jpg201507_Gor-insert.jpg

It's out!
201507_Gor-insert-out.jpg201507_Gor-insert-out.jpg

Cleaned up hole
201507_Gor-insert-cleaning-hole.jpg201507_Gor-insert-cleaning-hole.jpg

She's perfectly flat (took patience to achieve it)
201507_Gor-insert-in.jpg201507_Gor-insert-in.jpg201507_Gor-insert-in2.jpg201507_Gor-insert-in2.jpg201507_Gor-insert-in3.jpg201507_Gor-insert-in3.jpg

#159 8 years ago

~12 hours left until bullet-proofing is complete. Stay on target!
-mof

#160 8 years ago

Well, as far as I can tell, the new LED start button is a success.
-mof

201507_Gor-start-button.jpg201507_Gor-start-button.jpg
201507_Gor-start-button2.jpg201507_Gor-start-button2.jpg

#161 8 years ago

Looks cool MOF! It's saying "insert finger here" Did you have any issues with the plumb bob for the TILT setting. Mine isn't cutting it....I have to hold it against the ring for a second for it to even recognize its TILTING?! I'm also having the drop target issues...right now I have it rigged to work well until my new horse show contacts come in. Thanks for posting all this....it's been helpful!

#162 8 years ago

I like it.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Looks cool MOF! It's saying "insert finger here" Did you have any issues with the plumb bob for the TILT setting. Mine isn't cutting it....I have to hold it against the ring for a second for it to even recognize its TILTING?! I'm also having the drop target issues...right now I have it rigged to work well until my new horse show contacts come in. Thanks for posting all this....it's been helpful!

I haven't had to tinker with my tilt on this game...

As for the GAR targets from hell... (literally) -- I used deoxit on them recently, and they are performing better than ever. Will this last? I have no idea...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-have-an-honest-discussion-about-deoxit

-mof

#164 8 years ago

Left instruction card complete. I think anyone new to pinball will have a *chance* of understanding these rules.
-mof
BEFORE
201507_Gor-card-before.jpg201507_Gor-card-before.jpg
AFTER
201507_Gor-new-improved-instructions.jpg201507_Gor-new-improved-instructions.jpg

#165 8 years ago

Right card complete.
-mof

BEFORE
201507_Gor-score-card1.jpg201507_Gor-score-card1.jpg
AFTER
201507_Gor-score-card2.jpg201507_Gor-score-card2.jpg

#166 8 years ago

I think my friend will be stoked. He's a bit of a neat freak, and I think he'll appreciate the accurate and cleaned up cards. I like the old yellowed and tattered cards when possible.

-mof

201507_Gor-new-instruction+score.jpg201507_Gor-new-instruction+score.jpg

#167 8 years ago

Backglass touched up... And a little 1979 light show -- it has kind of an "Excalibur" with Sean Connery glow going on, I didn't touch any settings. This was all Gorgar's idea.
-mof

201507_Gor-night-shot-BG-touchedup.jpg201507_Gor-night-shot-BG-touchedup.jpg

#168 8 years ago

Moved the displays back and added foam to save the backglass touchups I've been working on...

2 for 1 big win, now the backglass has ZERO jiggle with a nudge. Big win...

-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/displays-are-damaging-backglass

#169 8 years ago

TP results on the power supply board:

3J4, lamps, 22 VDC
3J3, solenoids, 40 VDC
3J5, logic, 5 VDC
3J5, display, 90 VDC (used the updated parts to drop this voltage -- expected)
3J6, logic, 5 VDC

So, most important, logic and displays are great, I'm wondering about lamps and solenoids. As for the brightness and power of the solenoids they all seem perfect.

-mof

#170 8 years ago

New 6-pin molex connector = cold as ice. Also sanded down the pins with 400 and cleaned them up well.
-mof

AFTER
201507_Gor-new-connector-is-cold-no-resistance.jpg201507_Gor-new-connector-is-cold-no-resistance.jpg

#171 8 years ago

As for the backglass...

* It has wear spots around 2/3/4 and player displays where the glass has rubbed against the BG.
* It has cracks in a few areas that need hairline touchups
* It has nicks here and there that are barely distracting

1. I locked it down with Krylon triple thick 0500, this has many benefits: easy to remove work without hurting the original -- makes it VERY easy to pick up and grab and not worry about ever hurting the art again. I like this.

2. I did some preparation. I reviewed all my acrylic paint to ensure I didn't have any surprises. I decided to treat myself to 8 new tiny brushes. I need to prepare even more -- I need 20+ little containers to store the mixed paint, so I can work on multiple areas at once and add layers of the SAME color when the paint dries.

3. I did some work, and learned a few things:
A. paint pools in different amounts which impacts the opacity.
B. matching paint is tricky
C. you really want to keep your coverage minimal, but you MUST cover the edges. tricky stuff
D. when you finish you want to cover in white. I'm still learning how much and why...

What about airbrushing? -- I am learning towards learning to do this finally. It wouldn't have come in handy much for this project. But I can see the advantage of covering the white this way.

Is this Gorgar a good BG to practice on?

Yes.
This Gorgar is my "cheap find -- try and learn a lot on it" machine, and it's put me to the test in many ways...

So it's very tough for me as an artist to do a "so-so" job while learning something new, but I promise to only practice on examples that have accurate reproductions (like gorgar and firepower) so that I "do no harm" -- also, I'm doing all my work on top of triple thick, so I should be able to wash all this off and start over some day when my skills are at a higher level. Right?

haha... fun times.
-mof

I'll post some before and afters when the work is done-done.

#172 8 years ago

Finishing touches:

1. set up a good coin box for friend with just a few spare parts in there and the manual
2. put black paper underneath the new score cards so that the light cannot shine through
3. solder in the 330ohm resistor for the flash bulb for the snake pit

When I finish up the backglass, I'm all done... Soooo close.

-mof

3 weeks later
#173 8 years ago

5 months later...
Today is DELIVERY day!
No injuries, and stairs were involved. (just a few scrapes and bruises)
=)
-mof

1 year later
#174 7 years ago

Mof, What is the additional audio setup in there?
I would like to add some power to mine.

Thx.

3 months later
#175 6 years ago

Yes, what kind of amplifier is used and can we see how its wired up? I'm busy restoring a Gorgar and would like to boost the heartbeat!!

#176 6 years ago

Fellas:
1. I didn't do the wiring
2. It's at a friend's house

I'll try to remember to grab pics next time I'm up there. I reckon there's nothing fancy going on.
-mof

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Fellas:
1. I didn't do the wiring
2. It's at a friend's house
I'll try to remember to grab pics next time I'm up there. I reckon there's nothing fancy going on.
-mof

Thank you, that would be great. And thank you for the info on the rollover contact blades being backwards. It was the issue I was having with mine. All blades were wrong on all rollover switches. I have you props in my forum post for future owners of Gorgar. Take care.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-gorgar-mof-20150301/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.