20220812_082714 (resized).jpg
20220903_ice-blue-apron (resized).jpg
elvis (resized).jpg
IMG_2732 (resized).JPG
Caroline_3 (resized).jpg
20220729_PF-looks-better (resized).jpg
7968bc7549034952ad1de46c168eb180072a174a (resized).jpg
20220806_star-blue1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

* Do I stick with stock flippers or upgrade to WPC-era flipper assemblies?

I found Stock flippers can be fine when rebuilt as well as per Clay's method of drilling several holes in the the metal bats to lighten - this made a big difference.
I feel flippers that are more powerful like the WPC style flippers may not really suit the game as they are way more powerful than what is needed.

Quoted from mof:

* Am I trying out the magneto drops? Or will these old 1978 horseshoe switches be my friend?

Agree with Koji, Originals boards/wipers cleaned up or with new wipers (& lube) can be pretty good/reliable for some time, but further adjustments will be required. I found around 2 years problem free before needing adjustment.

Quoted from mof:

* Where do I get the updated rom for with lane-change? How do I wire it up?

Details are here, but link to ROM no longer exists. I did try the ROM years ago but could not get it to work.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-williams-flash-have-lane-change#post-5492810

You can also get the nice original Star style transparent Blue guides here too if interested.

https://www.buthamburg.de/de/3a-7034-kreuzlogo-blau-tr#product_info

I would never dream of repainting an original cab that nice!

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

What is all this crap on the metal?
Did someone grease these?

That looks like that dirty old black grease.

They can drop fast but the critical thing that causes the problems is tension with the wiper to the board. Too much tension & they don't drop properly, but too little tension their is not enough electrical connection, usually on one of the two wiper contacts.

I usually adjust the tension on both contacts on each wiper evenly to the point where they just drop without catching.

I just remembered, you need ideally to have two wiper contacts together, the second contact coupled with the contact is "contactless" & gives double the tension. This is how they came out of the factory that I have seen.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-owners-clubofficial/page/8#post-5690732

A very, very small smear of Super Lube grease is works well.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Is that an original sys4 mpu? I'm guessing those are not green sys6 roms?

Easy way to tell in 2 seconds! a yellow ROM set will have a different sound in the saucer to a Green ROM set (as per vids)

Yellow ROM set:

Green ROM set:

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

LOL I def don't have the bird sound

I don't think I could cope without having that bird sound!

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Timmo:

If you have the yellow flipper ROMs when you go into the adjustments the game id will have a leading 0 (0486 1 or 0486 2). If you have the green flipper ROMs the game id will have a leading 1 (1486 1).

I only discovered that sound difference when I changed my original yellow ROM set to the Green later revision ROMs. The yellow ROMs I have which were in that vid are the 0486 2 version which can be found on the IPDB as well as the Green set.

#41 1 year ago

I don't know how you people manage to unearth these HUO games from the 70s especially these days. I don't recall ever seeing any genuine HUO or even near HUO 70s games regardless of the title for sale here in Australia probably ever. A near mint HUO Flash would sell for US6-8K here.

Mine is a players game, the only great thing I have to cling onto is the NOS playfield plastic set I bought a couple of years ago that is HUO in my house!

1 week later
#66 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

curious to see gameplay the new flipper mech and slightly more powerful coil. I think it might be a bit much.. but have to see.

I was thinking the same thing, after playing my Flash this morning, & then Firepower, I felt the power of the Firepower flippers may be just right for Flash really, mine rebuilt are ok, but now thinking of the upgrade.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

for OE, Are they a different spec from eachother?

Firepower coils are a different spec & a larger size coil compared to the Flash era coil, but both are essentially 25v coils. Firepower flipper ass. are similar to WPC style with everything mounted on a base, but unlike WPC they have non detachable coil stops & some other differences.

I like the idea of using the Firepower era flipper units if I was going to upgrade as they come complete with the coils I want to use & will drop in (with the usual required mods) & I will know what to expect with the feel & flipper strength.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Joydivision.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resto-flash-mof-20220619?tu=Joydivision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.