Here's a little of my approach to color balancing on pinball machine:
(Assume the company did not have time/money/access to parts to making every color possible for every part of the machine...)
A. Survey the main colors of the backglass:
B. Survey the main colors of the playfield:
C. Survey the main colors of the plastics:
1. Decide what colors are NOT used anywhere. (sometimes this is white, purple, green, blue -- and rarely red, yellow, orange, and blue)
2. Decide what main colors are strong on the backglass, and MISSING on the playfield. (often this is blue)
3. Decide what the accent color is (often this is red, yellow, or black, and rarely white)
4. Decide if any colors have "meaning" such as (blue is used for all the asteroids, yellow is used for the shadow color)
5. Decide if on the playfield there are any "clusters" of one color where contrast is missing to make any areas more interesting (often there is too much red at the rollover lanes and pops)
6. Decide if it would be fun to break up areas into colors, to give each target or zone more "meaning" in terms of "good UI"
(Keep in mind to bring out more color, there are several options: A. Add more of that color B. Add more of the opposite color (or bulbs) to make the opposite more obvious)
Putting all this together for Blackout -- it's rather clear to me that the main color of the backglass is BLUE for the asteroids. On the playfield, there are a few
blue asteroids. There is a cluster of Red/Orange up by the pops that has no contrast to break it up. The pops are like exploding asteroids in this game -- they should be blue and yellow.
So first things first... Let's put stickers on those blue caps -- I'll use the ideas from the playfield in terms of colors, but I'll use my own style just for the heck of it. I won't focus on detail TOO much, since nobody it going to look at these with a magnifying glass. The image took me roughly 1 hour, and yes, I'm an artist by hobby so for me, this is the "easy" part of pinball (where for other people it's EE or woodworking...)
I traced a sticker from another cap, and then got to work on the layers: black, red, orange, then the asteroids...
I added a sheet of mylar over them, and then cut. The mylar gives them a nice gloss. I used sticker paper and a cheap ink jet printer. Good enough...
The only thing I did NOT account for was the blueing of the light coming through the cap would "green" the yellow a little bit on the cap. I'm fine with that, and I'm not sure I'd adjust it in the future. Just adjust my expectations a little is all...
I was happy with the test result of one using scotch tape, and so I put them on all 3. VERY happy !
Yep, let's go with it. Happy time!