New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 213376)

resto: Blackout (mof: 20180225)

By mof

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180501_3 (resized).jpg
20180501_1 (resized).jpg
20180501_2 (resized).jpg
20180502_000706 (resized).jpg
20180419_blue-inserts (resized).jpg
20180414_glass-channel-bar1 (resized).jpg
20180414_glass-channel-bar2 (resized).jpg
20180414_glass-channel-bar3 (resized).jpg
20180409_apron-glow2 (resized).jpg
20180409_comet-order (resized).jpg
20180409_felt-glass2 (resized).jpg
20180409_felt-glass (resized).jpg
20180426_felt-ldb (resized).jpg
20180426_felt-side (resized).jpg
20180426_blue-button (resized).jpg
20180426_tape-marks (resized).jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Here's a little of my approach to color balancing on pinball machine:

(Assume the company did not have time/money/access to parts to making every color possible for every part of the machine...)
A. Survey the main colors of the backglass:
B. Survey the main colors of the playfield:
C. Survey the main colors of the plastics:

1. Decide what colors are NOT used anywhere. (sometimes this is white, purple, green, blue -- and rarely red, yellow, orange, and blue)
2. Decide what main colors are strong on the backglass, and MISSING on the playfield. (often this is blue)
3. Decide what the accent color is (often this is red, yellow, or black, and rarely white)
4. Decide if any colors have "meaning" such as (blue is used for all the asteroids, yellow is used for the shadow color)
5. Decide if on the playfield there are any "clusters" of one color where contrast is missing to make any areas more interesting (often there is too much red at the rollover lanes and pops)
6. Decide if it would be fun to break up areas into colors, to give each target or zone more "meaning" in terms of "good UI"
(Keep in mind to bring out more color, there are several options: A. Add more of that color B. Add more of the opposite color (or bulbs) to make the opposite more obvious)

Putting all this together for Blackout -- it's rather clear to me that the main color of the backglass is BLUE for the asteroids. On the playfield, there are a few
blue asteroids. There is a cluster of Red/Orange up by the pops that has no contrast to break it up. The pops are like exploding asteroids in this game -- they should be blue and yellow.

So first things first... Let's put stickers on those blue caps -- I'll use the ideas from the playfield in terms of colors, but I'll use my own style just for the heck of it. I won't focus on detail TOO much, since nobody it going to look at these with a magnifying glass. The image took me roughly 1 hour, and yes, I'm an artist by hobby so for me, this is the "easy" part of pinball (where for other people it's EE or woodworking...)

I traced a sticker from another cap, and then got to work on the layers: black, red, orange, then the asteroids...

I added a sheet of mylar over them, and then cut. The mylar gives them a nice gloss. I used sticker paper and a cheap ink jet printer. Good enough...

The only thing I did NOT account for was the blueing of the light coming through the cap would "green" the yellow a little bit on the cap. I'm fine with that, and I'm not sure I'd adjust it in the future. Just adjust my expectations a little is all...

-mof

20180323_sticker6 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker1 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker7-mylar (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker8-mylar-cut (resized).jpg

I was happy with the test result of one using scotch tape, and so I put them on all 3. VERY happy !

20180323_sticker2 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker3 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker5 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker4 (resized).jpg

Yep, let's go with it. Happy time!

20180323_sticker9 (resized).jpg
20180323_sticker9b (resized).jpg

#52 2 years ago

So I noticed the pop bumper area has this yellow on the playfield... It's calling for yellow skirts, and we know that the asteroids are blue with yellow shadows, so we know where this is going...

-mof

20180324_skirts1 (resized).jpg

#53 2 years ago

OH and to isolate, here's the before and after on the caps. The rectangles are areas of "red" -- so imagine if the ENTIRE machine is ALL red... then red has LESS meaning to your brain.

Now, I'm saying -- red = rollovers, and blue = pops, and I think that makes things more interesting to feel and look at.

-mof

BEFORE: red clusters
before (resized).png

AFTER: functions/zones delineated by color
20180323_sticker9 (resized).jpg

Feel the difference? Now the orange and red pop more, because they are more isolated and the blue stands alone in the middle of all the red elements...

#54 2 years ago

Really like the blue accents you've brought onto the playfield. referencing your pic on page 1 with all the blue tape around the playfield...I wonder if blue rubber bands would look great or be out of place.

#55 2 years ago

Thanks...

I haven't jumped on the silicon bandwagon yet mainly because I don't route games...

I'll give it consideration.

-mof

#56 2 years ago

Put new bodies and skirts in there...

Love it.

-mof

DIRTY
20180324_skirts3 (resized).jpg

Choices...
20180411_pinball-mods-order2 (resized).jpg

Experiment with colors and a flashlight...
20180411_pops-experiment4 (resized).jpg
20180411_pops-experiment6 (resized).jpg
20180411_pops-experiment2 (resized).jpg
20180411_pops-experiment5 (resized).jpg
20180411_pops-experiment3 (resized).jpg
20180411_pops-experiment (resized).jpg

I like them all... gotta pull the trigger and move...

20180411_pops-experimentA (resized).jpg

#57 2 years ago

* Pops, rebuild all three and adjust all leaves to hair-trigger perfection, install new skirts and lamp sockets (2.5)

Of course, there has to be some drama along the way when tightening things up -- glad to have new spares...

20180412_pops-accident (resized).jpg

I recently learned this trick from a friend... really helps.

20180411_pops-zip-tie (resized).jpg

20180411_pops-finished2 (resized).jpg20180411_pops-finished1 (resized).jpg20180411_pops-finished3 (resized).jpg20180411_pops-finished4 (resized).jpg

#58 2 years ago

Oh yeah, and I'm using these from Comet:

http://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpring.htm

Seem good.
-mof

note: at first I installed them, and I kept shorting out pop solenoid fuses in my weebly board (Cause there's just so little room in the pop cap area for these things and the bulb and the socket... I learned that the BULB was pushing down on the middle of the skirt... locking things in place. Holy moly... took HOURS to figure out... so always do that zip-tie trick AND always test your SKIRTS...

LESSON LEARNED, but will never be forgotten.

#59 2 years ago

I don't get it - what's the zip tie for?

#60 2 years ago

1. It locks the leads to the outside, more above the holes
2. It prevents leads from going under the socket
3. It means when you pull tight from underneath, there's a better "chance" your socket will stand upright. I was thinking someone should make clear plastic discs that your bulb can go through so they stay vertical... and of course, someone else JUST thought of it before I did -- they are on pinball life. I'll test them out soon.

-mof

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I was thinking someone should make clear plastic discs that your bulb can go through so they stay vertical... and of course, someone else JUST thought of it before I did -- they are on pinball life.

I made a prototype of a clear plastic to keep the socket in place instead. Got word today that they have been lasercut from PETG, I'll be picking them up tomorrow.

DPW_0632 (resized).png

#62 2 years ago

Geat job! I’ll never get mine to look this nice!

#64 2 years ago

* Wires, inspect EVERY wire termination for breaks/fraying and cut/re-solder as needed -- give a lil tug on everything... run your finger over every connection... examine it! (nothing found !)
* Solenoid check, ensure they are all to spec (not too strong not too weak) -- I found a 900 coil on one pop, but it's totally irrelevant, nobody would know.
* Slam Tilt (put old rubber around the one in the coin door -- for home use to keep it closed -- in case you have to open the coin door)
* Coin door, check wiring and make sure it's all zip-tied away from colliding with the lockdown bar arm

-mof

#65 2 years ago

* Paint pen black on inside (above playfield) and outside of cabinet, and head edges to clean up the look (.5)
* Backglass, clean both sides carefully

Note: if you wipe once with a cloth, it knocks some of the sheen back to match areas where the paint is more flat.

-mof

#66 2 years ago

26.5 hours in...

According to the list, in terms of "tasks" I am at the half-way mark...
Feeling good. An hour a day...

-mof

#67 2 years ago

I picked one up, found this post very inspiring, but have one missing item on my PF that I can't seem to get a clear picture of.

Behind the three drop targets in the center of the playfield, there's something between the bulbs that screws in eqidistant from each - is it a switch, or a bumper or what is it?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the thread and notes!

#68 2 years ago

There is a small guide wire that mounts there. That is probably what you're missing.

#70 2 years ago

* install solenoid saver board for williams (.5)

These are no-brainers for early Williams SS games:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-solenoid-saver-board-for-wms-3-7

-mof

20180325_fuse-block (resized).jpg

#71 2 years ago

It has already helped me troubleshoot my skirt installation problem from earlier... it let me know "which" pop was the issue.

Ideally, I'll remove each fuse one by one, and make note of what doesn't function, and then label the block.

-mof

#72 2 years ago

Hey Mate ,
been watching this with interest
I like some of the changes that you have made..

I have been working on my project Blackout and she is now up and running ..

#73 2 years ago

* Plastics, install new ones where needed, and verify you have the supporting hardware (correct posts, etc) - and that nothing overlaps into cabinet along back edge (.5)

Had one broken plastic in the rear right. Grabbed another one off ebay for $14.

Back edge seems safe overall. No one-way gates digging into the rear of the cabinet like on a Sorcerer...

-mof

#74 2 years ago

mof I always love your threads especially the time estimate and actual facts

#75 2 years ago

Congrats -- did you by chance post a thread for it?
-mof

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

love your threads especially the time estimate

Thank you -- a top goal is to inspire anyone to make a plan and go tune up a game they own and get more fun out of it... An hour here an hour there, and you can really turn these old games into gems...

This last year, of my collection: Firepower gets the most play by far... It's just so damn challenging... And that game's no fun if you can't make the upper saucer...

-mof

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I picked one up, found this post very inspiring, but have one missing item on my PF that I can't seem to get a clear picture of.
Behind the three drop targets in the center of the playfield, there's something between the bulbs that screws in eqidistant from each - is it a switch, or a bumper or what is it?
Thanks in advance, and thanks for the thread and notes!

Mof said he pm'd you so i'm sure you are good, but it is a mini post to hold rubber out of way of the pop bumper ring.

IMG_3191 (resized).JPG

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Congrats -- did you by chance post a thread for it?
-mof

I did do a restore thread ..
she is not perfect but basically happy with it
can send you the link or just google aussie arcade blackout

#79 2 years ago

PF restore! That's some advanced stuff...
I'll try it some day...
-mof

#80 2 years ago

* screws on blue buttons (.5)

What? Yes this worked... I wanted to use blue buttons, but they were too short. To extend them, use hex screws. Works like a charm... Yes it adds a little weight to the system. But if I didn't tell you -- you wouldn't know.

... Hole to screw into
... head size is perfect -- threads are too -- this isn't going to budge once screwed in...

In a month when Marco gets more longer blue buttons, I can upgrade, until then -- I'm good!

-mof

20180330_blue-button2 (resized).jpg
20180330_blue-button (resized).jpg
20180426_blue-button (resized).jpg

#81 2 years ago

* Clean apron and launcher assembly and gauge (make sure apron is snug) -- new sleeve in there (1)

I always love this part. Get a little extra snap when the ball flies out...

I like to polish the part that makes contact with the ball...

"Be nice to your balls."

-mof

20180327_trow2 (resized).jpg

20180327_trow (resized).jpg

20180327_trow3 (resized).jpg

#82 2 years ago

* Backbox clean and vacuum it (.5)

* Playfield guides and edges inside the cabinet, clean/wax them for ease of movement

I like to wax the very BACK of the wood guides for the PF, where you have to come up that slope. I do not wax the flat rails since you want grip there. I DO mark with tape precisely where you want to park the playfield on both sides so that the apron lines up just right when you rest it against the head.

Eventually, I'll be making small notches in all my games to perma-park PFs parking spots.

20180426_tape-marks (resized).jpg

#83 2 years ago

* Felt side of playfield, and front of cabinet (.5)

This is a trick I picked up from a friend who paints his cabinets. He likes to minimize the scratching. I cannot vouch for how well it lasts, so I am simply going to keep extra rolls of felt on hand in case they catch and peel off... no biggie...

I took it one step further and decided to put a strip across the front of the cabinet as well, and now when I remove glass from my games there is no bouncing. I love it.

-mof

Side...
20180426_felt-side (resized).jpg

Front...
20180426_felt-ldb (resized).jpg

20180409_felt-glass2 (resized).jpg

20180409_felt-glass (resized).jpg

#84 2 years ago

* Add Comet lighting strip to under the apron. (.5)

Finally placed my first ever order with Comet. I've always wanted to try out the LED strips for the under apron glow. It's very cool. You can get an extra potentiometer so you can control the brightness. Using purple adds a bit of color around the machine as well as reflections are picked up...

-mof

20180409_apron-glow2 (resized).jpg
20180409_comet-order (resized).jpg

#85 2 years ago

* Playfield glass channel, polish it (1)

Doing this step adds reflections, color and light to your game.

For an extra plush touch -- add more new thick foam to the area where the glass slides in, that way it no longer goes "clunk" when you slide it all the way back. It's pretty tricky to get a small piece to stick back there, so don't be cheap about it. Put a bigger piece in there...

-mof

BEFORE and AFTER
20180414_glass-channel-bar2 (resized).jpg
20180414_glass-channel-bar1 (resized).jpg

REFLECTIONS
20180414_glass-channel-bar3 (resized).jpg

#86 2 years ago

* add foam to the dispays and high points on the light panel to lock in the backglass - (.5)
* Displays, wipe down glass and rubber

Finally got this right with one of my pins, and I'll have to circle back and do this to all my pins...

-- make them dead quiet.

The only thing you can hear is the tilt bob -- as it should be.

Test your work!

-mof

#87 2 years ago

I replaced the boring and bright white insert lights with more subdued and calm and interesting blue LED lights. (.5)

-mof

20180419_blue-inserts (resized).jpg

#88 2 years ago

* Shooter Lane protector, polish and reinstall (.5)

See how it picks up more reflections now?

-mof

20180502_000706 (resized).jpg

#89 2 years ago

Here is a complete update:
-mof

20180501_1 (resized).jpg
20180501_2 (resized).jpg
20180501_3 (resized).jpg

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Here is a complete update:
-mof

That's one super nice blackout! I'll bet it plays as good as or better than it looks. Are you bringing it to Lodi?

#92 2 years ago

I'm gonna rest here. Perhaps I will pick this back up in a few weeks.
Thanks for coming along for the ~33 hour ride, so far!
-mof

#93 2 years ago

Great thread. I'm always amazed by the talent people have. Well done!

#94 2 years ago

Great result imho. I dig your thinking on the color coding.

1 week later
#95 2 years ago

Nice work Mof! Your skills and collection has improved massively over the years! Great to see you are still active! You going to the Lodi show this weekend? If so perhaps we will bump into each other. ~Cheers!

#96 2 years ago

72Devilz Long time no see sir! Feels like 5 years!

You gave me some generous help when I first got into this hobby 5.5 years ago!

I remember when you suggested I grab a Blackout early on... You have great taste...

Also you ended up at the top of my hall of fame list for "Gratitude", congrats!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thread-of-pinsider-gratitude

Look forward to seeing you at the show. Beers on me...
-mof

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

72Devilz Long time no see sir! Feels like 5 years!
You gave me some generous help when I first got into this hobby 5.5 years ago!
I remember when you suggested I grab a Blackout early on... You have great taste...
Also you ended up at the top of my hall of fame list for "Gratitude", congrats!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thread-of-pinsider-gratitude
Look forward to seeing you at the show. Beers on me...
-mof

Thanks, Man it has been awhile, I haven't been very active but the collection is slowly growing and I have hit the point where I'm running out of creative ideas where to put them, you on the other hand have amassed quite the collection! I was reading that original troubleshooting thread last week and was remembering the back and forth communication on the step by step board and chip troubleshooting, felt like a million bucks when we got to the bottom of that problem! I'll be bringing Cyclone and South Park on Friday, will return Saturday mid morning for most of the show and will be arriving early Sunday so I'm sure we will get a chance to run into each other and I'll gladly take your offer for a flavorful stout my friend! You bringing any games or just coming for R&R?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 11.00
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 12.75
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
$ 36.99
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 229.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,599.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside