5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Swainer80
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1546659449479581646259 (resized).jpg

#1 5 months ago

I have an open 3 ohm, 5 watt resistor (the blocky white cement type) used for a flash circuit in a Space Station. I blindly ordered a 3 ohm, 5 watt resistor and it is not what was expected (it is the round type and significantly smaller then the original type). I was wondering if there is much difference between the two (they both seem to be wire wound) and if the smaller round resistor is acceptable to use as a replacement. Any thoughts?

#2 5 months ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

I have an open 3 ohm, 5 watt resistor (the blocky white cement type) used for a flash circuit in a Space Station. I blindly ordered a 3 ohm, 5 watt resistor and it is not what was expected (it is the round type and significantly smaller then the original type). I was wondering if there is much difference between the two (they both seem to be wire wound) and if the smaller round resistor is acceptable to use as a replacement. Any thoughts?

As long as the rating for ohms and watts (power dissipation) are the same, I have no problem substituting one for the other. Mostly the two just are different in construction and price, and there are no critical differences for the application of pinball.

#3 5 months ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

I would recommend getting the correct "cement" resistor because it's truly a power supply resistor and made to handle higher temperatures.

#4 5 months ago

I agree with Turtle if you purchased a 5W "Small form factor" resistor. Problem with these - they are rated 5W but run hotter than hell. A full size resistor will run cooler.

Do you have the part number for the resistor purchased?

#5 5 months ago

Here is a pic of the resistor. The only reason why I considered using it is that I saw that Gottlieb uses a similar resistor type. I just was not sure about the Heat dissipation, that was the only variable that I was unsure of.

1546659449479581646259 (resized).jpg
    #6 5 months ago

It will work. For home use it will last at least 10 years if your machine is not on 24/7.

#7 5 months ago

That's a metal oxide resistor and is clearly a small form factor 5W resistor (when compared to the size of the fuse).
    In real life - a small form factor 5W resistor is actually a glorified 3W resistor and will run hotter than a true 5W resistor.
    The one redeeming factor is that this is in a flash lamp circuit which doesn't run continuously. This resistor will work but if you need to replace in future - go with full size 5W resistors.

#8 5 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

The one redeeming factor is that this is in a flash lamp circuit which doesn't run continuously.

That's why I said it isn't a problem to sub in this case.

2 weeks later
    #9 5 months ago

Thank you all for your input and expertise. Specs are specs and numbers are numbers but why is not clear sometimes. I'm kind of a cheap bastard and would hate to throw it away instead of put it to use. In the future I will replace like for like. Thanks again.

-Mike

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 229.99
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 239.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 4.99
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside