• Latest reply 12 years ago by BrianZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

resistor-color-code-all.gif
#1 12 years ago

I have a JD CPU board that got some acid damage on it and took out the diagnostic buttons and coin door functions. After replacing the battery holder, some IC chips and cleaning and neutralizing the damage it still would not work. Buzzed out everything I could on the board and still no luck. Decided to just replace the original with a Rottendog board. Got the new board in and everything is back to normal. By the way Got the board from Mike at Mad Amusement, fast shipping, well packaged and he refunded part of my shipping from the website price.

Was testing the resistors on the bad board and was getting different readings for resistors of the same type. Some read .3, .9, 1.1, 1.8 These were all coded as the same type of resistor. Is this normal? Still can't figure out what is wrong with this board, just wondering if this is a clue as to what I should be looking at as the problem.

Any thoughts?

#2 12 years ago

To test a resistor, you need to lift one leg to get it out of circuit. It could have something else in the circuit with it changing your reading.

Check the bands to figure out what the reading of the resistor should be, as well as the tolerance.

If it's within tolerance, it's good. If it isn't, it's bad. Replace it.

#3 12 years ago

You have to remove one leg of the resistor from the circuit to obtain accurate readings. With that out of the way, resistors have a tolerance of from 5 to 10% as determined by the silver or gold band.

resistor-color-code-all.gifresistor-color-code-all.gif

#4 12 years ago

Damn John you beat me by 46 seconds!

#5 12 years ago

For what its worth. If your going through the trouble of removing one leg to test (which you need to do), you might as well just replace the resistor if widely avaialable (some SIPP, or Sand resistor packaged units you may not be able to easily replace).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resistor-question-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.