(Topic ID: 207874)

Resistor help please

By Strummy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    23328A27-5F80-4C55-8C17-7EBCF3A11AFB (resized).jpeg
    D457FE0D-FBB4-42E6-9E0A-32D22A1818F6 (resized).jpeg
    69AD3B4D-7405-4A75-AE44-026C3B9B7D13 (resized).jpeg
    20180118_161252 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find this resistor? I'm not sure if I'm entering th values correctly. I put .....pw 10 5 ohm 5%.... and get nothing. It's on a pinbot. 2nd one from the bottom. Thanks

20180118_161252 (resized).jpg20180118_161252 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Try searching for 5 ohm 5% 10 watt cement resistor.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. Does this look correct? Other places look to be out of stock or on back order.

ebay.com link: 5pcs Wirewound Ceramic Cement Resistor 5 Ohm 10W Watt 5 CP

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Thanks. Does this look correct? Other places look to be out of stock or on back order.
    ebay.com link » 5pcs Wirewound Ceramic Cement Resistor 5 Ohm 10w Watt 5 Cp

Yes, that's the one. Keep in mind, that's coming from china, so it would take a few weeks. Most electronics shops should carry them, though. Great plains electronics, mouser, digikey, jameco

Two examples:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RC10W-5
    https://www.jameco.com/z/CR10-5-0-RC-Xicon-5-Ohm-10W-Wirewound-Cement-Filled-Ceramic-Power-Resistor_2246611.html

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, that's the one. Keep in mind, that's coming from china, so it would take a few weeks. Most electronics shops should carry them, though. Great plains electronics, mouser, digikey, jameco
    Two examples:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RC10W-5
    https://www.jameco.com/z/CR10-5-0-RC-Xicon-5-Ohm-10W-Wirewound-Cement-Filled-Ceramic-Power-Resistor_2246611.html

Great! Thanks. I couldn't find it there for some reason

#6 6 years ago

The problem ordering from those places is that if you only need like 3 resistors, shipping is killer. Order from eBay, pay a buck with free shipping, and waiting a couple of weeks is totally worth it in my opinion.

#7 6 years ago

Yeah... sucks that our government doesn't subsidize our shipping rates as much as theirs does.

#8 6 years ago

How important is the exact part? I looked at some of the other resistors on this game and figured I'd order some of them too for backup. But I can't find them all. There are a couple that are 330 ohm 10 watt 10% but I can only find it in the 5%. What exactly is the tolerance? There are also a few that are 5.1 ohm instead of 5 ohm. Does that make a huge difference? And lastly there are a few 330ohm 7 watt 10% but I only see them in 5%. Thanks for the help. Learning here

#10 6 years ago

No need for exact part especially with these.
    Using a 5% part is no problem because it has *better* tolerance then the original 10% parts. In fact, I'm not sure anybody even makes these with 10% tolerance any longer.

What is tolerance? -
    Based on the original 330 ohm, 10% tolerance then the actual resistor value can be anything between 297 to 363 ohms (+/- 10%). A 5% tolerance can be anything between 313 to 350 ohms (+/- 5%).

Although you should stay with the same resistance rating as the original design - going from 5 ohms to 5.1 ohms isn't going to make any difference.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

5 ohms to 5.1 ohms isn't going to make any difference.

and vice versa?

1 month later
    #12 6 years ago

Hi. I have a resistor question also. Not sure if I should start a new post or post here, but here goes...

My machine is a Williams Firepower. The resistor in question is under the play field near the center row of lights that light up the numbers 1-10/20. It is fried. There is also a resistor on one of the logic boards that looks rough. I’m not sure if this resistor controls power to the upper play field, but the multi ball Shute doesn’t eject.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Cheers,
    Chad

69AD3B4D-7405-4A75-AE44-026C3B9B7D13 (resized).jpeg69AD3B4D-7405-4A75-AE44-026C3B9B7D13 (resized).jpeg

D457FE0D-FBB4-42E6-9E0A-32D22A1818F6 (resized).jpegD457FE0D-FBB4-42E6-9E0A-32D22A1818F6 (resized).jpeg

23328A27-5F80-4C55-8C17-7EBCF3A11AFB (resized).jpeg23328A27-5F80-4C55-8C17-7EBCF3A11AFB (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

This resistor is for a flash lamp bulb. It is a warming resistor which allows a small amount of current to pass thru the flash bulb. This makes the bulb light quicker and last longer. The other two resistors look like the dropping resistors for the high voltage display. When they burn open you will lose one of your displays.

Quoted from Trickster2002:

but the multi ball Shute doesn’t eject.

This is a separate issue.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14 6 years ago

Hey Grumpy,

Thanks for your advice.
    I would like to replace these resistors but have no idea what type/size and where to buy. Where do you go for your parts?

I know I need to do a flipper rebuild and would like to get new rubber as well

Thanks,
    Chad

#15 6 years ago

Flipper rebuild kit from (other options but one of these three are my go to) Marco specialty, Pinball life, or Bay Area amusements - can’t remember which is cheapest.

The resistors you can get from any electronics shop. RadioShack would have been the local place but Great Plains or Digikey are good online.. values should be listed in schematics / parts listings (available possibly on ipdb if you don’t have a physical Manual copy). The values are based on the colors of the banding — can’t tell in your pics but if you can still make them out you can easily look them up.. gold or silver final band is the tolerance. Start reading from the other side. I also seem to remember those flasher warming resistors being the larger 5 or 10 watt cement resistors.. but I could be misremembering.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

The problem ordering from those places is that if you only need like 3 resistors, shipping is killer. Order from eBay, pay a buck with free shipping, and waiting a couple of weeks is totally worth it in my opinion.

But ebay is really dodgy with Chinese fake or low-quality electronics parts. I'd rather pay a little bit more from mouser or digikey and know it's not a fake.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

But ebay is really dodgy with Chinese fake or low-quality electronics parts. I'd rather pay a little bit more from mouser or digikey and know it's not a fake.

Resistors are hardly an issue for fakes in this case. Semiconductors I agree 100%.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Resistors are hardly an issue for fakes in this case. Semiconductors I agree 100%.

I've dealt with Chinese manufacturing for more than 20 years and seen corners cut in the DUMBEST places, so I wouldn't even trust a direct sale Chinese cement resistor, especially not just to save a couple bucks on a one-off purchase.

If they're building thousands on spec for you or me or apple or whoever, that's a different story, but ebay sales? Dodgy.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Trickster2002:

I would like to replace these resistors but have no idea what type/size and where to buy.

Page 25 of the manual says that there are 330 ohm at 2 watts for the flash lamps resistors. Page 18 says the 2 resistors on the display board are 10k ohms at 1/2 watt, but there is a note that if certain chips are used that these should be 15k ohms. You will need to verify this for yourself.

#21 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone who replied. It’s great to have help restoring my machine... much appreciated.

GRUMPY thanks again. You referred to the manual for resistor sizes. I did not have the original manual but I downloaded the link on this site...(mirror2.ipdb.org/files/856/Williams_1980_Firepower_Schematics_paginated_from_manual_dated_March_1980.pdf)

It’s missing pages 23 and on. They are black and whenever I scroll past page 23 the pdf crashes. I have been using an Apple phone to access it so maybe that’s my problem.

If anyone has a good version of the Firepower manual, I would really appreciate it if you want to share.

I’m off to buy flipper rebuild kit and resistors

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resistor-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.