Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170517_070509 (resized).jpg
20170517_064542 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So today I got a NIB Ghostbusters Premium. Build date 3/25/17, playfield build date is 2/20/17, cabinet looks good and the playfield I thought initially looked good.

I took the glass off of the game and figured I would wax the playfield. I then noticed that the left outlane playfield area and going toward the left flipper was not as smooth as the rest of the playfield, it felt a bit rough but visually looked the same as the smooth areas. I noticed that nearly the entire area under the apron was also like this and part of the left orbit. The rest of playfield areas are perfectly smooth.

I used Novus 2 on these areas and after a good amount of buffing it felt smooth and exactly like the rest of the playfield.

What the heck is this stuff that was left on the playfield? Anyone else notice this? I can clear up / buff up the areas but its ridiculous that I have to do this on a nearly $7k NIB game...

#2 6 years ago

Interesting perhaps they missed those spots when they waxed it before boxing it up... just a guess. Congratulations on the new in box game! Glad it got to you in good shape!

#3 6 years ago

7k is ridiculous indeed.

#4 6 years ago

That's a good point. Could be left over dried wax that was not buffed out?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Oh Rarehero, attempting to purposely undermine Ghostbusters Premium feature yet again. Tisk tisk. Let me help educate you
Ecto Goggles
Metal subway ramp that drops under the playfield
Physical ball lock integrated with subway ramp
Magna slings with 4 playfield flashers
Moving left to right Slimer
Molded library
Molded storage facility
Cross over right ramp
Additional scoop eject
Metal apron
There are more substantial extras on GB, and ones actually made out of metal, compared to ACDC (great game btw, grew tired of rules and sold mine).

Shit bro looks like you left out that awesome residue as a feature!

EDIT: Spoilers; Stern's QC is horrible

#6 6 years ago

I'm just glad it buffed out but still, shouldn't have to do this on a brand new game. Only thing I can think of is maybe it was dried wax that was not buffed out.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm just glad it buffed out

Me too!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit bro looks like you left out that awesome residue as a feature!
EDIT: Spoilers; Stern's QC is horrible

It is. The coin box wasn't even secured, the clip to hold it down was underneath the coin box itself! lol Thankfully it didn't come completely lose and smash something in the cabinet.

#9 6 years ago

Believe me I agree. I hate to bring price into it because all levels are high. Just make sure your shit is legit before you send it out to people... It's really not that difficult.

#10 6 years ago

Have you checked for cabinet/split damage these are known for?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from limelime20:

Have you checked for cabinet/split damage?

Cabinet is perfect, thank goodness.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Believe me I agree. I hate to bring price into it because all levels are high. Just make sure your shit is legit before you send it out to people... It's really not that difficult.

Exactly. If Stern wants to charge crazy high prices then the quality should also be high.

After this I can't see buying a new Star Wars LE. Forget it, not for nearly $8500 with this type of QC.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a good point. Could be left over dried wax that was not buffed out?

They pre-wax the games?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

They pre-wax the games?

Quoted from zacaj:

They pre-wax the games?

Quoted from zacaj:

They pre-wax the games?

One more time, I don't understand

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

One more time, I don't understand

pinside: we couldn't send your post, try again
me: *tries again*
pinside: oh, you wanted to post that three times? gotcha

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

pinside: we couldn't send your post, try again
me: *tries again*
pinside: oh, you wanted to post that three times? gotcha

Haha I know I've done it a few times too. It's just funny when it happens. Made me laugh.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Exactly. If Stern wants to charge crazy high prices then the quality should also be high.
After this I can't see buying a new Star Wars LE. Forget it, not for nearly $8500 with this type of QC.

That is a shame. We received our ASLE yesterday and it is absolutely gorgeous. We love it!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

That is a shame. We received our ASLE yesterday and it is absolutely gorgeous. We love it!

Good to hear.

The clear coat on my game does look very nice. Maybe someone sneezed on my game, lol. I'm betting something was left on there in those areas. Kinda odd that the whole apron area was like that but not the others.

20170517_064542 (resized).jpg20170517_064542 (resized).jpg

20170517_070509 (resized).jpg20170517_070509 (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

It was probably overspray that somehow missed being buffed off in its final stage before being populated. Glad to hear it came off.

#22 6 years ago

Many times on my more expensive gadgets(side by side, tractor, cars.) the support and service has been lackluster. The first time I had to switch my backhoe for my box grader I said wtf? I have to do a half hour job of switching out this equipment? My Ford back hatch isnt closing in a properly aligned position so I turned it into warranty service before I reached 36k miles. Turns out nothings been done and now I'm over miles. When I paid for the extra service for my side by side, the first time they picked it up they "cleaned" it with a pressure washer blowing off my decals. Returning it in this condition without mentioning it. And it was a constant fight to get it fixed.

Long story short, Stern seems to be willing and able to fix and help their customers. The dried wax seems like you were looking for a needle in a haystack trying to justify a large purchase that chances are you'll receive your money mostly back on when sold. I get the concern, but support will help make it right. Time to start supporting, otherwise the gloom will only increase around here. My belief is you need to be able to manage your own games and if something is faulty look to support they'll likely make it right.

#23 6 years ago

Perhaps it was left over barbecue sauce from Jared?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It is. The coin box wasn't even secured, the clip to hold it down was underneath the coin box itself! lol Thankfully it didn't come completely lose and smash something in the cabinet.

This clip issue kind of sucks. It couldve hurt the game during shipping.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Perhaps it was left over barbecue sauce from Jared?

Yup, Sweet Baby Rays, original recipe. Only Novus 2 would get that stuff off :p

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from huo:

Many times on my more expensive gadgets(side by side, tractor, cars.) the support and service has been lackluster. The first time I had to switch my backhoe for my box grader I said wtf? I have to do a half hour job of switching out this equipment? My Ford back hatch isnt closing in a properly aligned position so I turned it into warranty service before I reached 36k miles. Turns out nothings been done and now I'm over miles. When I paid for the extra service for my side by side, the first time they picked it up they "cleaned" it with a pressure washer blowing off my decals. Returning it in this condition without mentioning it. And it was a constant fight to get it fixed.
Long story short, Stern seems to be willing and able to fix and help their customers. The dried wax seems like you were looking for a needle in a haystack trying to justify a large purchase that chances are you'll receive your money mostly back on when sold. I get the concern, but support will help make it right. Time to start supporting, otherwise the gloom will only increase around here. My belief is you need to be able to manage your own games and if something is faulty look to support they'll likely make it right.

Yup. At these prices I'm really looking over games more then I would in the past.

I did call Stern technical support earlier and they said they had never heard of this occurring. Sounds like everything is fine since whatever was on there was able to be buffed out.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup, Sweet Baby Rays, original recipe. Only Novus 2 would get that stuff off :p

No, chic-fil-a is his poison.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good to hear.
The clear coat on my game does look very nice. Maybe someone sneezed on my game, lol. I'm betting something was left on there in those areas. Kinda odd that the whole apron area was like that but not the others.

My best guess is that the residue is buffing (cutting) compound not cleaned off properly. We are Stern supporters however "I have never heard of this happening before" seems to be a standard answer from Stern. We tested the waters a few years ago as a few of us bought AVLE (Hulk) and all had exactly the same issues. We all sent emails regarding the same thing and all got nearly the same answer "I have never heard of this happening before". This forum is awesome at help us resolve issues on our machines.

Our ASLE is beautiful, however last night we found the centre rib in the bottom of the cabinet was not glued or stapled in. No Biggie, we just glued it back in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/residue-on-a-nib-stern-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.