• Latest reply 6 years ago by arolden
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4450 (resized).JPG
IMG_4462 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

Yeah, definitely a voltage problem. I would add the 12 ohm resistor mod as stated on Pinwiki for the LM323k to bring up the voltage to ~5.05v. The 24 ohm resistor would only bring it up to ~4.93v. I had did this on several games I had intermittent issues with resetting once a month (that were about 4.9v) and they are working well since bringing them above 5v. Even these games did perfect under a huge load at the Houston Arcade Expo for 2 full days without any resets there.

#6 6 years ago

The threshold seems to be anything 4.85v and up will be enough to boot up the game. 4.8v to 4.84v will definitely have reset issues if you happen to get it to boot up and start playing a game. I had been through that with another WPC game that I have but since has been working perfectly since adding the resistor mod.

As Pinwiki mentions, the LM323K is actually an adjustable regulator, which the resistor mod will be needed to adjust it.

Once I had a driver board putting out 4.9v, but after installing a new LM323k, it actually dropped down to 4.84v and started resetting often. I even read that the part had changed over the years and the reason the resistor mod is now needed because of this.

#7 6 years ago

You'll definitely want to install a 24 ohm 1/2 watt to raise it to ~5.05v. TTL circuits will be able to handle up to 5.25v, so this will work out well.

#11 6 years ago

I see no relationship with resets and J115. Just focus on raising the 5 volts.

#13 6 years ago

That is not how Pinwiki shows how to do it. In the case of removing C9, I don't think you can get around not cutting that trace at C9. Also the Metal case has to be isolated as well with the other trace that needs to be cut.

Procedure:
1.Isolate the LM323K's metal case from board ground by cutting the ground traces that run left and right from the nut on the back of the board that bolts the LM323K to the board. The neater you make these cuts, the easier it to reverse this hack.
2.Some versions of the Power/Driver board include a ground trace on the component side of the board that provides a ground to the tantalum capacitor at C9. This trace must be cut on the component side of the board.
3.Add a 1/2W resistor in series, from the LM323K ground to the board's ground trace.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:LM323KHackSolderSide.jpg

#16 6 years ago

Any tarnished pins on J101? J115 still does not have a logical relationship. What type of mods do you have in the game?

Also reseat the 2 molex connectors at out backside (output) of the transformer. Also look for tarnished/burnt pins.

#18 6 years ago

Can you install the original LM323k back into the board? I had to do this once before as new ones are sometimes much lower than the original parts.

#23 6 years ago

Awesome. As I mentioned, one new LM323k did not work for me either, even with the resistor mod. I am not sure where I had purchased mine from.

Pinwiki suggests not to replace the part unless the voltage is 4.7 volts because the new ones are made different these days.

One more thing, if the 5v ever is above 5.25 volts, you also could have intermittent boot up, and lowering the resistor to 12 ohms may be necessary.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 169.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.50
12,500 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballManiac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/resets-and-failed-boots-on-fish-tales?tu=PinballManiac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.