• Latest reply 6 years ago by V_piscopo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi gang. Noob here. I have a 1974 Bally Champ. 1000 point targets aren't registering; no chime, no score wheel movement. 1up 1000 score relay heating up. Traced issue to 1000 point relay not de-energizing. Traced that issue back to the Reset relay. That too is not de-energizing along with one of the chime solenoid (which fire at start up). When you lightly press or wiggle the switch plate on the Reset relay, all stuck relays de-energize & the 1000 score wheel advances.
Is this just a bad Reset relay or could there be another issue causing it to not de-energize?
Any repair suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

Check the contacts and make sure there gapped properly.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll take a look this week and see. I know the contacts were cleaned. Maybe that knocked them out of alignment. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

I have Chehecked all switches connected to the activated solenoid. All seem to be properly aligned and tapped. I'm starting to think that there's a 1000 point relay stuck closed. The chime rings and everything mentioned locks open at game start. Manually triggering a 1000 or target has no effect. I'm going to check there but any other suggestions are welcome.

#5 6 years ago

Ya check everything that scores 1,000 on your PF, a switch very well could be stuck also check your 1,000 pt switch stack in back box.

#6 6 years ago

Slip a piece of paper in the switch on the 1000 Point relay with Black&Red to Orange&Green. If that makes the 1000 Point relay release then the problem is an end of stroke switch on one of the 1000 point units.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Thanks HowardR. We gave that a try. It is still holding open. We also discovered that the 1000 lane rollovers seem dead. Nothing triggers when those contacts close. Everything else on the PF triggers as normal. Don't know if that extra info helps or not.

#8 6 years ago

And, we found, if we press lightly on the reset relay's plastic collar that holds the switches, just enough but not enough to reset the machine, we can get the 1000 pt relay to de-energize. If we jiggle it just right, we can score 1000 pts at will. Moving it too fat does, of course, reset the machine. But the lane rollovers targets still don't do anything regardless of the 1000 pt solenoid condition.

#9 6 years ago

We disconnected the PF connectors from the pinboards. The 1000 pt relay does not stay energized. Leading me to believe the culprit lives on the play field.

#10 6 years ago

Problem solved! Knowing it was isolated to the playfield, we went over it with a fine tooth comb. We found a playfield screw was an aftermarket screw & was just a bit too long. It punched through the bottom and closed an upper lane rollover switch. We loosened it a hair, the switch opened & the table plays beautifully! Thanks for all the help.

#11 6 years ago

Enjoy the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reset-relay-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.