00-90 relay.jpg
subtract replay and start relay.jpg
game over relay.jpg
players lights.jpg
add player.jpg
add player ball return hold  relay.jpg
imagesCAEV6M3N.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So the wife asks "So what are you going to do evenings now that the pinball is working?" knowing full well I am champing at the bits to do cabinet work on a machine resurrection I have started a dozen times!

She doesn't get the joy of 'fixing'. She is best friends with the Karma Fairy.

After a few weeks of fine performance my Vulcan is acting up again. Had a great late night session, rolled it over twice to beat my high score, turned it off and upon restart the next weekend the Karma Fairy got her due:

When the machine does an initial reset after pressing the game/credit button once score reals reset but the "number of players" indicates both '1' and '4'. Match number also comes on and stays lit. Game play then is player one then player four. Pressing the credit button after reset does nothing.

Away from home till tonight thus the following is as I recall . When I manually advance the coin unit the machine indicates '2' player, then '3', then '4'. I think!?! the errant four goes out. I did not yet get to simulating game play when coin unit has been manually advanced. I did try one but do not recall the events << not a good sign . I think it added player four regardless of the number of players indicated but I could have been delusional though I am sure it had nothing to do with proper hydration with frosty beverage.

After starring at the schematics I poked all over the place based upon my cross-eyed circuit tracing -- player unit, coin unit, AX, BX, last ball and add a player relay. Switches looked correct but I have been mistaken many a time.

I can provide shots of schematic but not sure what section might assist troubleshooting. Number of Player lights?, Coin Unit? related relays O, Q (drat: forgot function names - need to get a copy of the schematics on my 'work' machine

Thanks

Tom

#2 10 years ago

Maybe when you're back home and are at the game, you'd have a chance to note the state of the player unit, coin unit, and the exact behavior and share.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for looking in once again DF.

So after a long step by step evaluation of events last night, I came back to add in Player Unit and Coin Unit events -- but the scoring events changed, I updated with additional information. Hope this is an appropriate level of detail. As I reread I get more ideas but will resist poking till comments are made. Some 'maybe appropriate' schematic shots will be added shortly.<pizza's ready> Where I am shy in info : ask away

Crap - the outline read better in Word - if an issue let me know and I will reformat somehow.

1. Machine off, player 1 shows 500 pts. Credit reel has been advanced to 8

2. Machine turned on.
a. "4" players and match number light along with typical illumination
b. Player Unit at home position - player 1 rivs
c. Coin Unit at home - fully counter-clockwise

3. Credit/Start button pressed
a. credit reel drops 1
b. targets reset
c. score reels reset to zero
d. match light # flashes
e. ball delivered to plunger
f. match light # comes on steady
g. players # 1 and 4 light (number of players, not the reels)
h. player 1 score reels light
i. ball in play "1"

4. IF BALL IS PUT INTO PLAY
a. player one scores, drop ball PU: advances three to player four rivs
b. player four scores, drop ball, ball "2" PU: advances one to player 1 second set rivs
c. repeats thru balls 2,3,4
d. after player 2 drops ball 4, player 1 ball 5 lights
e. loud buzz from ?4B?5B? (#4 rollover reset or target 5 reset) relay in large ??reset bank?? -- under playfield, backbox end not the targets. CHANGED, new events below
f. ball does not eject to plunger, I missed if PU moved but believe not.
g. Machine powered OFF

5. IF INSTEAD THE CREDIT BUTTON IS PRESSED
a. credit reel drops another 1
b. no other difference, CU does not move, machine performs as above

6. IF INSTEAD THE COIN UNIT IS STROKED/ADVANCED CLOCKWISE

a. ONE STROKE
i. Players 4 light goes out, 1 remains lit
ii. Game plays as a single player apparently normally
iii. Loud BUZZ as above at start of ball 5 - changed, new events below

b. TWO STROKES
i. Players 1 & 2 lights come on
ii. Games play as two player should
iii. goes in to ball 5 as it should
iv. after player 2 ball 5 game does not end but returns to player 1
v. after player 1 drops the now ball six, players cycle back to player one while points are added to player 2 and sometimes player 1 also
vi. player one continues and repeats as above, never ending

c. THREE STROKES
i. three player game that turns into a never ending player 1 after player 3 ball 5 including the random extra points as ball ends and ejects to plunger while players cycle back to 1

d. FOUR STROKES
i. ditto -- HOWEVER the extra points at ball end now get added to player 1

ROUND II - replaces last eve's events

4. IF BALL IS PUT INTO PLAY
a. player one scores, drop ball PU: advances three to player four rivs
b. player four scores, drop ball, ball "2" PU: advances one to player 1 second set rivs
c. repeats thru balls 2,3,4,5
e. after player 4 ball 5 game does not end but returns to player 1 PU advances one
f. after player 1 drops the now ball six, players cycle back to player one while points are added to player 2 and sometimes player 1 also NOW 100 pts to both for numerous balls.

5. IF INSTEAD THE COIN UNIT IS STROKED/ADVANCED CLOCKWISE

a. ONE STROKE
i. Players 4 light goes out, 1 remains lit
ii. Game plays as above UNTILL ball 5+
i. THEN players lights went out and player 1 reel lights went out.
ii. Scoring stopped but feature lights and chimes operated. Ball ejected to plunger
iii. Machine OFF
iii. as before

b. Others appear to be the same as last night

Coin Unit switches look to be correct - for what my observation is worth. Just not stroking when credit button is pushed.
Player Unit large switch (player) stacks appear correct. The short on black cam seem to be also but not a great view while making things happen.

--- Tom

#4 10 years ago

Ah, I'm going to need a beer to go along with reading this...

#5 10 years ago

imagesCAEV6M3N.jpgimagesCAEV6M3N.jpg

I so understand.

#6 10 years ago

These may be related. Ask for more if you can clue me in.

players lights.jpgplayers lights.jpg

add player ball return hold  relay.jpgadd player ball return hold relay.jpg

add player.jpgadd player.jpg

subtract replay and start relay.jpgsubtract replay and start relay.jpg

game over relay.jpggame over relay.jpg

#7 10 years ago

So I'm thinking the thing to do is focus on the first evident issue. Sounds like the first sign of trouble is here:

e. ball delivered to plunger
f. match light # comes on steady
g. players # 1 and 4 light (number of players, not the reels)
h. player 1 score reels light
i. ball in play "1"

The match light should not be on at this point. And the number of players should only show #1.

Of those, the Match light is probably the simplest (and not shown on the snippets you have, but you did include the #players lights section).

Looking at a similar era schematic, the path to the Match light goes through:
a normally closed switch on P,
a normally closed switch on AX,
a normally open switch on the Coin Unit,
the Match Feature In/Out plug,
the 00-90 mini stepper unit.

So based on that, it is most likely the Coin Unit switch that is not opening.

Now, as it turns out, that is also much the same path for the #players lights. The #1 player light is driven separately from the Coin Unit. But the #4 light has two possible paths. There's the normal path where if all three wiper sets are on the #2, #3, and #4 positions. And there's a path unique to #4 that looks possible if the first wiper is on the initial single set.

That all seems consistent with the Coin Unit not stepping.

Does that match what you observe?

#8 10 years ago

I don't see the 'Add Coin Unit' coil in the snippets you posted, but it's going to have something like a Start relay switch, a 1st Ball relay switch and a score motor switch in the path to activate it.

Is your 1st Ball relay working OK? It's an interlock style.

#9 10 years ago

Some Vulcan 00-90 unit and match light schematics. Let me know if more are useful.

match lights and coin unit.jpgmatch lights and coin unit.jpg

00-90 with player uniit.jpg00-90 with player uniit.jpg

00-90 relay.jpg00-90 relay.jpg

RE:

Quoted from DirtFlipper:That all seems consistent with the Coin Unit not stepping.

Does that match what you observe?

Yep! That correlates well. I will look at the CU and those two paths in the am.

Thanks! for your sharing know how.

#10 10 years ago

Still missing the "Add Coin Unit" snippet, if you get a chance.

#11 10 years ago

add coin unit relay.jpgadd coin unit relay.jpg

Is this the one?

#12 10 years ago

Yep. So there's a switch at score motor position 4C, a switch on U, and a switch on S to all check out. That path steps the coin unit.

#13 10 years ago

So I started with U and S relays. Flexstoned all and adjusted two on each. Then started machine. Perfect reset, 1 player, credit button adds players. Fantastic progress to get back where things worked. Not unlike listening to an old Firesign Theater album.

So what then seems to be the ??remaining issue is that the machine does not recognize the end of a game. After the last ball 5 no matter how many players the game continues on player one.

Useful?

add player-last ball-add replay.jpgadd player-last ball-add replay.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Is your Last Ball relay (BX) tripping after ball 5 drains for the last player? That relay needs to trip, to open the normally closed BX switch, which prevents the payer unit from stepping around to player one again.

That's the path that goes through the player unit, the 3-5 ball adjustment, the O relay, to BX.

Congrats on correcting the startup!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Congrats on correcting the startup!

Thanks - I was just the mechanic following a masters lead. I enjoy the insights & lessons of logic presented.

So when the player unit advances to ball 5, the double bonus relay in the large bank fires on, if a point is scored then when the ball drops the O fires and the BX comes on and the score motor advances ?1/4 turn, if no points scored the O fires, the BX does not and the score motor advances ?1/2 turn, eject hole fires ball to plunger, trough switch has no effect on ball count.

Nothing seems to occur due to the BX being on other then limiting the eject.
So methinks a next event needs to be directed by either a branch off the BX or the score motor position after the ?1/4 turn. So should these be the next poke areas?

#16 10 years ago

The BX needs to fire after the last ball drains, regardless of points being scored or not. That's what will prevent the ball being ejected to the plunger again.

So I'd still focus on the items on the path to BX. Might try it on 3-ball instead of 5-ball, to see if it makes a difference. That will change two of the three items involved.

#17 10 years ago

Also just noted an additional wrinkle.

When the machine is turned on OR after a played game ends - the first press of the credit scores but the tilt and game over stay lit. Ball is not delivered to trough. Press credit button again and machine goes through reset and player 1 is ready, ball at plunger.

Games plays apparently normally then at seemingly random times the tilt light and game over light come on and game acts as tilted though it was not from play.

#18 10 years ago

Thanks DF, will try the 3 ball in the morn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reset-issues-on-gottlieb-4-player-vulcan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.