4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rlbohon3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

564EE5AE-25D8-4941-BD27-3CA2AA9347E1 (resized).jpeg
    BEC478E3-82FE-4E9D-9B2F-4AB44EF607EB (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I'm working on restoring a Gottlieb Central Park. While working on it, this symptom started up:

The 'ones' unit will cycle through to '0' then the coil in the ones unit locks on solid until I pull the power (to keep it from melting down, then it advances to '1' as the power goes off). I've had the ones unit apart 3-4 times already looking for a short or mis-adjusted switch, and just cannot find anything. If I plug the power back up, lights are off until I hit the replay button again, then the process of cycling through to '0' and locking the coil on happens again.

I have the schematic, but admit I have a tough time tracing what is (or should be) going on during the reset sequence.

Any tips of where I should be looking?

#2 4 years ago

Look for something that scores one point. That switch is stock closed.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Look for something that scores one point. That switch is stock closed.

Thanks for the fast response! Will check. So just so I understand, are you saying that if a 1-point switch is stuck during reset, it can cause this symptom? Just intrigued and wanting to figure out why.

BTW, I should have admitted that it was working earlier, but a few other things were not working quite right and while tweaking switches here and there, this problem surfaced. So... makes sense this could be a stuck switch outside of the ones unit.

#4 4 years ago

Yes a stuck switch can cause the issue during reset

#5 4 years ago

The 1 point switches are commonly stand-up switches located behind a rubber ring. Look for a ring that is a little too tight and is pressing the switch closed. Most likely under your center triangular shaped plastic.

#6 4 years ago

Found it! It was a switch stuck closed on a pop bumper relay (see pencil pointing at switch). Weird thing is the armature acts like it doesn’t want to move. I’ll take it apart to see what’s going on, but if I force it open to open the switch, the locked on ‘ones’ coil problem stops. Thanks guys for the quick, super helpful advice.

BEC478E3-82FE-4E9D-9B2F-4AB44EF607EB (resized).jpegBEC478E3-82FE-4E9D-9B2F-4AB44EF607EB (resized).jpeg
    #7 4 years ago

Tighten the screws holding the switch stack, before doing any other adjustments! Usually that will fix the problem.

And while you are at it, do the same for all the other relays and switch stacks also.

#8 4 years ago

Upon inspection of the relay assembly, I found that the plastic actuator for the switch stack had a fair amount of wear in the slot that pushes the middle switch. It seemed to be snagging on the switch blade, and obstructing movement. I tried filing/sanding the slot but ultimately decided to move the switch stack to one of the two unused positions engaging the plastic actuator (see relay on right in pic). It seems to be working fine. Now off to check and troubleshoot other switches.

564EE5AE-25D8-4941-BD27-3CA2AA9347E1 (resized).jpeg564EE5AE-25D8-4941-BD27-3CA2AA9347E1 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reset-issue-with-ones-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.