You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD3DDED2-5C45-4EF2-B06A-354C26851FA1.gif
download (1) (resized).jpeg
FBC07DF9-0D07-40C2-A3BB-42254AD49DFF (resized).png
one-million-dollars-5bw4ql (resized).jpg

There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Doesn't seem like there should be much of a market for these with the recent economic shut downs. I think it's reasonable to imagine that there will be people who will need to move off their spot due to income loss in the coming months.

I just don't see guys (and some of them are asking stupid premiums) being able to get some free cash for selling their spots. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I also find it distasteful that guys put deposits down on pins and then try to sell them at a premium. It's the worst kind of price gouging.

#2 4 years ago

'Murica

#3 4 years ago

Testing the second market and seeing what the second market will actually bear are two different things. Looks like there are a half a dozen people trying the "let's see what happens" approach. Even if the sales closed at those inflated prices it still seems fairly insignificant as it's less than a percent of the buyers. If maybe 10 or 20 percent of the buyers successfully flipped their spot I think Spooky would have to wonder if they left money on the table. I don't think that's the case. There's probably a couple of buyers with FOMO who might pull the trigger but that's going to be an anomaly. At least they're not reselling toilet paper.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

there will be people who will need to move off their spot due to income loss in the coming months.

What income?

#5 4 years ago

To expand on that, if I hadn't already saved the money and had it put aside just for this, I would not have ordered one. Isn't that the normal way of doing things?

#6 4 years ago

Also,it looks like the early beta code is not completely finished!! So,if you trade for a lower #,your still gonna have to fight for the newer code when finished!!That said,my # is 499! If you want to wait longer,Ill TRADE with you for a lower # !! Yes,Rare,I hear you already

#7 4 years ago

Sold mine to a buddy who has hooked me up in the past for the price of the deposit last week. I don't have faith that I'd see my #373 this year with everything going on, and am not sure about the state of pinball manufacturing. I told this to the person who I sold it to, and they still happily purchased it. I wouldn't have sold it 2 weeks ago, but if I got the call today to write the check for the other 6,000, I'd feel irresponsible to sign it. The plan was always to just sell a pin to fund the purchase, but I'm not sure I could do that on short notice anymore. I did get to put some games on a Rick and Morty in the flesh for the first time 2 weeks ago and will miss it. I hope everyone who wants one gets one, and it was never my intent to buy one just to sell it. I wanted to play the crap out of it for a year or 2 first. At least I'll still get to play this one once or twice when it does eventually show.

#8 4 years ago

Anyone that bought these simply to resell to someone else are cunts. I don't care what excuse they come up with to make them feel better about themselves.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Anyone that bought these simply to resell to someone else are cunts. I don't care what excuse they come up with to make them feel better about themselves.

Absolutely right!!

#10 4 years ago

I say let people list their spots for whatever, $2k, $4k, $50k lol. It doesn't mean they will get those prices.

Very soon, and we may already be there, people will be happy to just get the price of the deposit back due to our current situation.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Doesn't seem like there should be much of a market for these with the recent economic shut downs. I think it's reasonable to imagine that there will be people who will need to move off their spot due to income loss in the coming months.
I just don't see guys (and some of them are asking stupid premiums) being able to get some free cash for selling their spots. I don't wish ill on anyone, but I also find it distasteful that guys put deposits down on pins and then try to sell them at a premium. It's the worst kind of price gouging.

People can do what they want with their spot. The market will decide if it demands a premium. With the current economic situation, the factory being shut down, shipping dates completely unknown, I don't think anyone will be cashing in. Watch the listings just sit now.

#12 4 years ago

...and when everything gets back to normal, which it will, the cycle will just continue where it left off.

Ups and downs - same old story. People can do whatever they want with their money. Simple as that. Some win, some don't. Move on.

#13 4 years ago

Since threads like this are getting ridiculous, I’m curious if ridiculous was turned the other way would people still be so upset. If a BSE seller was selling their spot for $50 and loosing their deposit would there be threads complaining that they paid full price for a deposit? What does it really matter what someone sells for if your not the buyer?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Since threads like this are getting ridiculous, I’m curious if ridiculous was turned the other way would people still be so upset. If a BSE seller was selling their spot for $50 and loosing their deposit would there be threads complaining that they paid full price for a deposit? What does it really matter what someone sells for if your not the buyer?

Probably! I am selling mine through Kayte to a operator for basically what I have in it. Did the same with a high number BSE, to an arcade locally. I feel good to have done my part getting these on location. I need to tighten the belt a bit right now.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Probably! I am selling mine through Kayte to a operator for basically what I have in it. Did the same with a high number BSE, to an arcade locally. I feel good to have done my part getting these on location. I need to tighten the belt a bit right now.

What location is even open right now anyway?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What location is even open right now anyway?

He's closed right now, like everyone. But is pretty solid, apparently.

#17 4 years ago

With the factory temporarily closed due to the parts shortage and what not I don’t think many deposit orders will be trading hands.

I’m as excited for this machine as I’ve ever been. I sold a game and have a spot waiting for R&M to fill when it arrives eventually.

#18 4 years ago

I have a feeling Spooky is best set up to weather this storm than any of the other pinball manufacturers. I thought that all along if something like this ever happened. We'll find out soon enough.

Let's just say, I'm not worried about my deposit or spot.

#19 4 years ago

My spot is for sale. Asking $8,675,309 dollars. Firm. Thank you.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Lol haven’t heard that song in ages. Wonder how many quarters I wasted calling it. Lol

#21 4 years ago

You made sense until the last sentence but what is the purpose of this thread? You can't price gouge a non-essential item. The worst kind of price gouging is charging way more for food than normal while people go hungry.

#22 4 years ago

Whatever happened to the good ole days when people were just trying to get $500 back from their ACNC deposit...

#23 4 years ago
one-million-dollars-5bw4ql (resized).jpgone-million-dollars-5bw4ql (resized).jpg
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

or 14 cases of Charmin ???

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

or 14 cases of Charmin ???

Let me think that over.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Anyone that bought these simply to resell to someone else are c***s.

Quoted from Yelobird:

What does it really matter what someone sells it for if you're not the buyer?

What's interesting is that I kind of support both of these statements.

#27 4 years ago

Hmm....I sense a pattern

I tend to complain about greedy capitalism as an excuse for things people do wrong, but I don't care about things like the OP is talking about

Others champion greedy capitalism, capitalism great, it's American, but complain about things like the OP is talking about

The difference?

You don't need what the OP is talking about to get by in life.

I think what you are seeing though is 'the little guy' not liking 'the other little guy' screwing them over, but apparently don't have issues with 'the big guys' doing it (or just numb to it).

#28 4 years ago

I don't think anyone would argue that it's pretty shady, or at least pretty lame, for people to inflate demand for ANYTHING they feel is going to sell out or be hard to get just so they can turn it around and sell it for more, whether its a pinball machine, a nintendo classic (remember trying to find one of those for your kids at Christmas time a year ago?), or an essential.

That said, I also don't think anyone here has much right to be judge and jury when it comes to knowing why someone would be selling a pinball machine spot, or has the right to demand that answer from anyone. It's personal. If you lost your job, had a medical emergency, were in a precarious financial situation, had legal fees for a divorce, hell if you just played the game and changed your mind... Whatever the reason, if you COULD sell something for more than you paid at that point, wouldn't you? And if that WAS you, would you want to have to explain or justify it to be able to do so?

Some people are d-bags, but not everyone has a nefarious intent. I have a deposit on R&M with every intent of actually buying it. But if I had to start selling stuff off to make ends meet, selling a machine I don't already own or would have to move would seem pretty tempting.....and if the risk I took by buying a deposit for a sight-unseen machine results in a reward in the process, then good for me.

#29 4 years ago

I don't think anybody can argue that if somebody didn't buy one when they went on sale, and figured they would wait to see if it they thought it would be worth it or if they could get one at a discount later on, and are now complaining about the rising cost or being left out, then the old saying "he who hesitates, masturbates" certainly applies.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't think anybody can argue that if somebody didn't buy one when they went on sale, and figured they would wait to see if it they thought it would be worth it or if they could get one at a discount later on, and are now complaining about the rising cost or being left out, then the old saying "he who hesitates, masturbates" certainly applies.

I think many of you are missing the point. Someone who buys a spot to resell at a profit is a profiteer. An opportunist. A speculator.

Is that illegal? No. Is it unethical or immoral? Many would say yes.

Is it harmless? No. By selling spots at a higher margin, the speculators bring up the market price higher than the manufacturers intent. What does that tell the manufacturer? Price my next products much higher as there is a margin that is being missed out. That is EXACTLY what has occurred with Stern games the last few years. Price inflation is driven by the secondary market, particularly transactions are occurring before the actual delivery of the product.

The end result can be a pricing that is out of touch with the market and blunts or destroys future product launches and can negatively impact an entire company or market. Speculation is the reason for many markets collapsing.

Besides, I think speculation is distasteful. I'm aware many won't agree with me, but I hope they understand my point.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I think many of you are missing the point. Someone who buys a spot to resell at a profit is a profiteer. An opportunist. A speculator.
Is that illegal? No. Is it unethical or immoral? Many would say yes.

I'm not missing any point.

Just about everything you buy there is some profit involved. That's how companies stay in business and how they can buy their houses and put their kid's thru college. Or if you invest in the stock market to make money faster than you would in a bank.

It's the American way!

I was just pointing out that if somebody is whining about it, it's nobody's fault but their own that they did not take the chance and get in when it was cheaper to do so.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Is it harmless? No. By selling spots at a higher margin, the speculators bring up the market price higher than the manufacturers intent. What does that tell the manufacturer? Price my next products much higher as there is a margin that is being missed out. That is EXACTLY what has occurred with Stern games the last few years. Price inflation is driven by the secondary market, particularly transactions are occurring before the actual delivery of the product.

Your mistake is assuming all of this occurs in a vacuum. It does not.

If companies raise prices and price people out of their New product, those people don't disappear and neither does their motivation, they just go elsewhere. These practices result in healthy competetion every bit as much as they result in calamity.

Read more Adam Smith.

#33 4 years ago

Since they're still working on the code for rick and morty, perhaps they could add a pin-scalping multiball? Maybe a shot could make you lose points, but that same shot would then net you double those points as a jackpot? Just.... just an idea. Maybe it could be accompanied by an audio clip of Rick giving some shit reason to justify the points to make himself feel better?

Actually, this isn't too far off from the episode where he took all the devil's cursed items and uncursed them and sold them for a profit. Of course in the episode he was actually doing some good and not just blindly making a buck.

#34 4 years ago

A happy and willing buyer + a happy and willing seller = an unhappy, unrelated third party.

I'm not feeling it.

#35 4 years ago

Spooky can end the this "profiteering" by offering more games for sale. But the license contract may say otherwise. Also the COVID-19 pandemic may be part of why some spots are being sold.

The new Ford GT sales contract stipulated that the buy could not resell the car for 2 years. Back in 2006 Brighton Ford in Michigan had a GT in the showroom, Sticker $165K, marked up by $80K After Ford Motor announced that production would end in 2006. I saw the same with the Ferrari F-40. Approved buyers reselling a $400K car for two to three times original price.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

The new Ford GT sales contract stipulated that the buy could not resell the car for 2 years.

They couldn't impose that if they wanted to, though. Once delivery is taken, they would have no recourse but to not sell to you in the future.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

They couldn't impose that if they wanted to, though. Once delivery is taken, they would have no recourse but to not sell to you in the future.

Ford did sue John Cena

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-sues-john-cena-selling-183001657.html

Ford had a pool of 7000 perspective buyers and planned to build 1000 cars. Me thinks Ford was dumb for not building more cars. Amortizing the cost of design, development and tooling across 6 to 7 times the number of units produced would increase profits. OK by time four thousand cars were made the GT buyers may not want them because of the numbers made. And now with the 2020 mid-engine Corvette on the market base price $60K, I could see many GT buyers rethink their position. Knowing that Z06 and ZR1 variants are in the pipeline.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Ford did sue John Cena

Let's see if they win.

Pretty thin argument they make.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Let's see if they win.
Pretty thin argument they make.

Well he signed a contract... the courts will decide if John can be held to it. BTW Ford has a buttload of lawyers.
And if Cena is as broke as he claims, he better call Saul.

#40 4 years ago

So, who will be the first to give their Rick and Morty spot or game away for less than they paid for it?

That should start a whole new uproar on Pinside. Good for at least two or three additional threads

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who will be the first to give their Rick and Morty spot or game away for less than they paid for it?

This could easily happen. A guy pays $45 to join the Spooky fan club just to order R&M. Virus hits and he loses his job or most of his income so sells his spot for just the actual deposit he paid. He's out the $45 (or more if he paid a PayPal fee to make the deposit).

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

This could easily happen. A guy pays $45 to join the Spooky club just to order R&M. Virus mania hits and he loses his job or most of his income so sells his spot for just the actual deposit he paid. He's out the $45 (or more if he paid a PayPal fee to make the deposit).

Or you know. He sold it for 1 dollar less. Or 100. Or .. yea. Sorry I'll see myself out

#43 4 years ago

Well, at least Spooky still has games on order which will keep them busy for at least a year and a half.

Wonder what some of the other manufacturers schedule or backorder looks like right now.
One of the others will at least keep busy selling node boards when things start back up.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

This could easily happen. A guy pays $45 to join the Spooky fan club just to order R&M. Virus hits and he loses his job or most of his income so sells his spot for just the actual deposit he paid. He's out the $45 (or more if he paid a PayPal fee to make the deposit).

That would be me! I sold my spot to another Aussie for what I paid for it in Australian dollars. But I'm out the Fang Club membership, which was $95 USD (about $135 AUD at the time). Thanks to the collapse of the AUD relative to the USD, I was looking at another $14,500 to get the machine here with the options I wanted.

But also thanks to the collapse of our dollar, my buyer got the spot for the equivalent of around $1350 in US dollars.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Virus hits and he loses his job or most of his income

Just found out the government has stepped up and will be paying the balance on mine. And a little extra.

Might have to go with the butter cabinet after all.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Just found out the government has stepped up and will be paying the balance on mine. And a little extra.

Might have to go with the butter cabinet after all.

The important thing is we will still have Opera.

#48 4 years ago

The first week after securing a spot, it would probably have taken $25,000 to get me to sell. Then the gameplay videos came out, which raised it to $250,000. Basically you gotta be crazy and throw crazy $$ at me to rip this outa my hands.

Then covid comes along...now my mental number is probably around $2500. That way I can walk away from this and my other preorder basically at even money.

My how times change.

#49 4 years ago

Take the poll:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/conjecture-how-much-over-msrp-will-rick-amp-morty-750-go-for-poll

We’ll likely see some movement in the predictions.

FBC07DF9-0D07-40C2-A3BB-42254AD49DFF (resized).pngFBC07DF9-0D07-40C2-A3BB-42254AD49DFF (resized).png
#50 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not missing any point.
Just about everything you buy there is some profit involved. That's how companies stay in business and how they can buy their houses and put their kid's thru college. Or if you invest in the stock market to make money faster than you would in a bank.
It's the American way!
I was just pointing out that if somebody is whining about it, it's nobody's fault but their own that they did not take the chance and get in when it was cheaper to do so.

I totally disagree with this post.

Most people have zero problem with people making a profit, while providing a service or a product.
However theese people are more like leaches they dont provide anything, they just parasite on the fact that some are able to pay more.
I really like seeing people rewarded for providing great products and ideas, people doing this or hoarding tickets to concerts or similar, contributes nothing and are just deadweight to any commercial event/transaction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
There are 127 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reselling-rick-and-morty-order-spots?hl=jesperpark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.