(Topic ID: 9481)

Rescuing pins?

By Benaar

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Post in another thread got me thinking…

Has anyone been successful in rescuing a beat up pin from a location/operator? There's an AFM in a bar near here that is in desperate need of help. The bar is a dive & I can't imagine people go in there looking for pinball. Doesn't look like the op has been in there for years either. I'm really tempted to try and contact the operator and offer to buy the game.

Anyone had success doing this?

I suppose I should just ask. The worst that could happen is the op could say no.

#2 12 years ago

Ive never rescued any, but man have seen some on location that need it so bad. There is a Dark Knight at our Godfathers pizza here that is just screaming from someone to take care of it.

#3 12 years ago

Throw out a cash offer, you never know!

#4 12 years ago

Throw out an offer he is probably using the bar as storage.

#5 12 years ago

Make him a cash offer he can't refuse. Keep us posted as to what happened...

#6 12 years ago

I'll have to go in there again and check it out. It's been a while. Last I remember everything seemed to be technically working, but REALLY dirty, lots of bulbs out. The flippers were sticking and very weak. I don't recall what shape the cabinet was in, but I'm sure it's not anywhere near pristine.

What do you think a reasonable offer would be?

#7 12 years ago

I inquired about a JD that was in a bar near me that shut down. I emailed them and they said they wanted $1,800.. They probably hadn't been near it before picking it up, and I really doubt that it would demand that kind of price.

Make an offer, it doesn't hurt.

#8 12 years ago

I have tryed but with no success. The op. hadn't serviced the games for years and admitted that to me. Offered to buy and he gave unreasonable numbers. The next day he had them on CL and a the same numbers. Two of the games PF were beyound repair and needed new I do not know if he got what he was asking or not.

#9 12 years ago

Ops tend to have little flexibility in their pricing. They're in it for profit, obviously, so they seem to price their games unreasonably, even though they haven't maintained them for years..

#10 12 years ago

The best thing you can do is offer him what they are worth, once they come back to you with a high price.

My offers are market value minus the value of any parts they need. Every operator I know has seen lowballers in spades. The high price they throw out is often to get rid of the tire kickers, and deadbeats.

Offer a fair price, and explain why you feel it's fair. If they don't want the deal, you shouldn't either.

#11 12 years ago

Firebaall has it right. Don't lowball, it'll just piss him off. Hit him with a good number and an explaination, then wait.

#12 12 years ago

You know all those commercials that show for rescuing animals, with the Sarah McLaughlan sad weeping music playing in the background?

Someone needs to create a video of abused pins in the wild, and make it like a rescue of an abandoned & abused pin that the owner just doesn't care about anymore. I think it would be pretty funny.

#13 12 years ago

The video idea made me laugh thinking about the idea.

#14 12 years ago

Ops with good games tend to get offers on them. Many know what the machine is worth. some don't though so it never hurts to try =P

#15 12 years ago

Check for broken ramps and insert wear - almost nothing else matters as it can be fixed, cleaned and replaced. Insert wear is forever, and not all ramps have been re-made.

#16 12 years ago

I think we need to come up with an internet video for Pinside Rescue. "PM a local Pinsider to sell your dead or dying pin to. We rescue them all"

#17 12 years ago

All my pins came from Ops.

Phone call/email, road trip with cash. Deals get done.

A lot of Ops have made their investment back on older machines, plus profit. So, anything offered is gravy for them.

I keep in touch with all the Ops I have dealt with in the past. Wish them a Happy New Year, etc. Stay in contact, make sure you are on their mind. That's how I scored the MM and WH2O for an excellent price. Initial contact was 8 months prior to the sale.

#18 12 years ago

i think it's all about 'rescueing pins'. if somebody isn't doing this, then we won't have any in great condition in 10 years? or the price of the machine will sky rocket due to lack of good conditions left!! scary, that's why we have hot rod and classic car restoring as well.

#19 12 years ago

Yesterday, 250 mile round trip to pick up a 8 ball deluxe from an op.

My theory is the best way to buy a pin from an op is find out what he has actively for sale, then say

What else have you got?

The hidden gems, I got one, and theres more to be had, nice guy, really.
    I would recommend him if any pinsiders in my area want to buy and have money.
    he had Black Knight, Genie, Torpedo Alley and a trashed Whitewater. (and more, BSD and TFTC project pins)

#20 12 years ago

Here's my past experiences:

Talk to the Op. Tells you pinball is dead, they don't make money, always breaking, etc.

Ask him if he has any to sell.

Tells you yes and then quotes you $3000 for a P.O.S. system 11 that doesn't work. As you're standing there in shock, he then tells you how much money the game will make if you want to put it on location or that it cost him $6000 new.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescuing-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.