IMG_4299 (resized).jpg
IMG_4300 (resized).jpg
IMG_4287 (resized).jpg
IMG_4279 (resized).jpg
IMG_4280 (resized).jpg
IMG_4276 (resized).jpg
IMG_4272 (resized).jpg
IMG_4274 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatality83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 5 years ago

awesome, reading this while listening to rescue 911

1 month later
#49 4 years ago

Looks awesome, I just picked up one myself this weekend. Mine is in rough shape. Rusted side rails, inches of dust and dirt, helicopter not working right. Hope mine can turn out half as good as yours

1 week later
#52 4 years ago

can you share the images you scanned in? I need the car at the top of the pop bumpers, the rescue 911 decal for on the shooter bumper things. Thanks. Did you ever get yours working?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I will be back tomorrow and will send them. The 911 is working but I am going to do some work on the helicopter and speaker grill cover soon

Thank you!

#61 4 years ago

I hate when that happens, or in my case I dropped one of the e clips on the play field and it vanished. I tilted the play field as a last ditch effort hoping it would fall out. I heard it clanging around but no luck. I had to remove the rear plastic and I found it hidden in there.

#63 4 years ago

Not sure if you are using the original wires inside that loom or not, but if the wires are too thick it will keep the chopper from rotating right. Also like you mentioned the loom may be too stiff.

I got mine working pretty good by taking an old post rubber and cutting it into 3rds. Pop those c clips off and remove the springs. Put the rubber post pieces you cut on the posts, then put the springs on and finally the pressure plate. This will make it have more tension on the roller wheel. I also sprayed my pressure plate with spray adhesive. Note, if you do this, the following day you go out to your game the plate will have white stuff all over it. I kinda cleaned mine off and it has been working good so far. Only issue I have is the chopper drops the bacll in the back playfield hole before it can make the burning buildings hole. I think that is just an adjustment though.

1 week later
#65 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

After digging into the issues and analyzing it, I have broken the helicopter problems into 4 areas:
1) Either the ball doesn't go high enough or the helicopter does go low enough as it does not reliably pick up the ball
2) the helicopter doesn't always turn correctly
3) the rubber wheel on the end of the arm keeps loosening up and then sliding off the shaft.
4) the wire doesn't kink correctly and swings around interfering with the helicopter blades.
tackling them one at a time.
For (1) I placed the washers under the springs (see previous
post 57) - I had to wait until everything was put back into place to see if it would work. It appears to be working as the ball is successfully lifting every time in my games so far.
For (2) I purchased a new rubber wheel, carefully cleaned the plate and purchased a black stickon nonslip surface, which I cut and applied to the plate.[quoted image][quoted image]
It worked perfectly but as I carefully watched, the wheel is actually designed to slip along the plate. The wheel turns the helicopter in the proper direction for about the first half of the trip but then once the helicopter has been turned, it simply slips along the plate the rest of the way. While it was working, the grit on the nonslip surface was wearing away the rubber wheel and it would soon have a flat spot.
After I removed the surface I found that I didn't really need it after all, the new wheel and clean plate provides enough friction that it seems to work correctly every time in my games so far.
For (3) I tried some loktite blue on the threads of the setscrew to keep it from loosening up. [quoted image]
Unfortunately it still did not work, loosening up after just one helicopter movement.
After I noticed that the center set-screw of the plate used a metric sized hex wrench, I got the idea to purchase some metric set-screws instead of the 1/8" one I was using. It turns out that a M4-6 set screw fits and appears to be a better fit as the helicopter could go 3 trips before it would loosen up. I have used loktite blue on the new setscrew and so far it has held through all the test games... I hope that has solved it!
For (4) I really didn't want to take the cable apart again, so I increased the size of the cable-guide at the top of the plate in the hope it would slide around ok.[quoted image]
It worked quite well without the plastic burning building installed, once that was in place it touches the cable and seems to interfere a bit, but by pulling it out just the right amount it doesn't seem to be interfering with anything in my test games:[quoted image]
So right this moment, the helicopter appears to be working correctly (woohoo!!!) and I can turn my attention to the final piece, the broken display plastic.

Good stuff, glad you are getting her figured out. Seems like from the short time of me owning mine that keeping the helicopter working is going to be the biggest part. I had mine working everytime, but then it starting not picking up the ball. It was doing something similar where the ball was too far away from the chopper magnet. I loosened the rod up and turned it in a way so that the nose of the chopper is pointing downward when it is near the ball. This fixed that issue but I still have an issue where it seems like the chopper gets to the ball too quickly. By the time the chopper is above the ball, the ball is still moving upward. Normally this results in the chopper bouncing away from the wall slightly ball less, then the game moves the chopper back towards the ball and it picks it up. Doesn't affect game play at all as it still picks the ball up, just is slightly annoying. The only thing I could think to do to fix this is have the ball lift adjusted so it doesn't have to move as much maybe by tweaking the end of limit switches or lubing things up so it moves easier. I did lube chopper gears but not the ball lift so maybe that is something I have to look into.

#68 4 years ago

Any ideas how to fix a slow noisey helicopter motor? Mine is moving slow now and squealing. Looks like buying a replacement is not an option.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I don’t have any ideas. But the squealing sounded familiar. This thread sounds similar. I hope it will help. See last post
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-rescue-911-helicopter-motor

Thank you, I will give that a try

#73 4 years ago

Looks very good! nice job!! Does anyone else with a rescue 911 have an issue where when you are in a mode (seems like cave in mode it does it a lot). That when the ball drains, the game doesn't recognize it. If you hit a flipper, it makes the game realize the ball has drained? At first I thought, oh the switch just needs adjusted and when you press the flipper it vibrates the switch enough that the switch makes contact and recognizes the ball has drained. But I tried adjusted the switch, cleaning it, it registers all the time when there is a ball there in test mode. Still no luck. I tried jerking the cabinet when a ball drains thinking the vibration might trigger the end of ball but it makes no difference. Only seems like when a flipper is activated, it realizes the ball has drained. Anyone else experience this. Seems like it is more of a code issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatality83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescuing-a-rescue-911?tu=fatality83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.