Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Langless28
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200321_145613_resized (resized).jpg
    20200315_152134_resized (resized).jpg
    20191221_201138_resized (resized).jpg
    20191214_181526_resized (resized).jpg
    serial numb.png
    space walk (13).jpg
    space walk (12).jpg
    space walk (11).jpg
    space walk (10).jpg
    space walk (9).jpg
    space walk (8).jpg
    space walk (7).jpg
    space walk (6).jpg
    space walk (5).jpg
    space walk (4).jpg
    space walk (3).jpg
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all

after transforming a count down into a space walk,
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/restoration-count-down-playfield-vs-space-walk
    I begin the restoration of an original space walk
    it is very damaged and we will have to resume everything
    some photo of the PF into the machine.
    space walk (1) (resized).jpgspace walk (1) (resized).jpg
    space walk (2) (resized).jpgspace walk (2) (resized).jpgspace walk (3) (resized).jpgspace walk (3) (resized).jpgspace walk (4) (resized).jpgspace walk (4) (resized).jpgspace walk (5) (resized).jpgspace walk (5) (resized).jpgspace walk (6) (resized).jpgspace walk (6) (resized).jpg
    the PF disassembledspace walk (7) (resized).jpgspace walk (7) (resized).jpg
    some close upspace walk (10) (resized).jpgspace walk (10) (resized).jpgspace walk (9) (resized).jpgspace walk (9) (resized).jpgspace walk (8) (resized).jpgspace walk (8) (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

we must remove all that is fragile at risk of starting again during painting or varnishing.
    also sand all the wood parts.
    the launch lane is very damaged and the ball has deeply dug the wood up to the top of the PF.
    it will be necessary to sand deeply, but the minimum not to end up with insufficient thickness compared to the rest of the PF, not easy
    the inserts are covered with a well-yellowened varnish and some have surface imperfctions.
    I will dismount them so I can sand them more easily.space walk (11) (resized).jpgspace walk (11) (resized).jpg
    before cleaning, it was set back from the surface and after, it's even worse, especially since the wood worked so much and the inserts came out almost alone just by turning the PF.
    the diameter of the inserts being lower, impossible to wedge them perfectly with just glue only.
    we can see the space by placing a small card.space walk (13) (resized).jpgspace walk (13) (resized).jpgspace walk (14) (resized).jpgspace walk (14) (resized).jpgspace walk (15) (resized).jpgspace walk (15) (resized).jpgspace walk (16) (resized).jpgspace walk (16) (resized).jpgspace walk (17) (resized).jpgspace walk (17) (resized).jpg
    So I made shims in abs to get as much as possible to the right level, the problem is that the thickness of the insert is different and not one is the same, so I made different height to adjust at bestspace walk (12) (resized).jpgspace walk (12) (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

here is a wedge in is hole space walk (19) (resized).jpgspace walk (19) (resized).jpg
    I took posts from old fathom PF to put pressure while taking the glue.space walk (20) (resized).jpgspace walk (20) (resized).jpg
    in this configuration it was easy, a mini PF to press everywhere at the same time with a weight on it for about 2 hours, (it's quick glue)space walk (21) (resized).jpgspace walk (21) (resized).jpgspace walk (22) (resized).jpgspace walk (22) (resized).jpg
    for some cases, as I did not want to spend too much time sticking them one by one, I did pretty crazy editingspace walk (18) (resized).jpgspace walk (18) (resized).jpgspace walk (23) (resized).jpgspace walk (23) (resized).jpgspace walk (24) (resized).jpgspace walk (24) (resized).jpg
    the preparation of the support is finished, the wood has been tinted, I go to the first stencil of simple formspace walk (25) (resized).jpgspace walk (25) (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

I start with white and yellow.
    I put a vinyl stencil on the entire surface of the PFspace walk (26) (resized).jpgspace walk (26) (resized).jpg
    then, with a new Xacto blade, I cut the lines to make the stencils
    space walk (27) (resized).jpgspace walk (27) (resized).jpgspace walk (28) (resized).jpgspace walk (28) (resized).jpgspace walk (29) (resized).jpgspace walk (29) (resized).jpgspace walk (30) (resized).jpgspace walk (30) (resized).jpg
    i start with the white paint, ( airbrush)space walk (32) (resized).jpgspace walk (32) (resized).jpg
    when it's dry, I hide the white
    space walk (33) (resized).jpgspace walk (33) (resized).jpg
    yellow paint always with airbrushspace walk (34) (resized).jpgspace walk (34) (resized).jpg
    i remove the stencilsspace walk (35) (resized).jpgspace walk (35) (resized).jpg
    soon

#5 4 years ago

Incredible. Such attention to detail.

#6 4 years ago

You're doing a playfield this complicated with.....frisket? Maybe I'm asking something obvious, but I see on the Yellow you painted right over some speckle pattern at the top of the outlanes...and on the white, you painted over the numbers you'd theoretically need there to know where to cut the frisket? Will that be left that way, or are you going to then do waterslides or something to replace the more complicated art?

I did this with Crescendo, and that playfield is much simpler, but it was still a TON of effort. Results don't lie though.
    c8747b035cfa574a8e91daa81a26c4f45e3aa5ba (resized).jpgc8747b035cfa574a8e91daa81a26c4f45e3aa5ba (resized).jpg

#7 4 years ago

for now, I take care of all geometric shapes.
    the details will be done with the brush, too complicated to do everything with stencils and not too possible either

#8 4 years ago

I would seal what is there with a clear coat before proceeding with a paintbrush . Unless you did that when you mention you tinted the playfield.
    Also , are you going to restore the numbers with freehand painting ? Using decals would be , in my opinion , efficient and more accurate .

#9 4 years ago

actually, I seal with clearcoat layer between each important work, to protect on the one hand, and to allow the stencils to be well sealed.
    the numbers and letters are not made by show of hands, it's a technique that I gave up a long time ago since I bought a cameo (cutting robot) that allows to do a job as clean as decals while being more reliable.
    I prefer painting with decal, there is always a risk of reaction with the varnish and to get the right shade with a printer is really very difficult, except of course the black.

#10 4 years ago

Love to see how you do the lettering, cant tell if its a stencil you cut or you actually imbed the decal?

You are a master!

Ken

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from F-2NIRO:

actually, I seal with clearcoat layer between each important work, to protect on the one hand, and to allow the stencils to be well sealed.
    the numbers and letters are not made by show of hands, it's a technique that I gave up a long time ago since I bought a cameo (cutting robot) that allows to do a job as clean as decals while being more reliable.
    I prefer painting with decal, there is always a risk of reaction with the varnish and to get the right shade with a printer is really very difficult, except of course the black.

Ok , did you measure or scanned the exact location of the letters you are about to restore to make sure everything is put where it was ? Since everything is covered by paint now.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from phototamer:

Ok , did you measure or scanned the exact location of the letters you are about to restore to make sure everything is put where it was ? Since everything is covered by paint now.

you must be new here. look at F-2NIRO's post history. he has it covered.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from lint:

you must be new here. look at F-2NIRO's post history. he has it covered.

I am not questioning ability or method , no mention on letter positioning though made me curious .

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from phototamer:

Ok, avez-vous mesuré ou scanné l’emplacement exact des lettres que vous êtes sur le point de restaurer pour vous assurer que tout est mis là où il était? .

sure, i have original scans, see the link on my first post on this topic, i show the process

#15 4 years ago

This is awesome. Following.

Thank you F-2NIRO for documenting your amazing work!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from F-2NIRO:

sure, i have original scans, see the link on my first post on this topic, i show the process

This solves all my questions ! Merci

#17 4 years ago

Hey, don't damage my sof mini pf with that hammer!

#18 4 years ago

I knew that you would pass by there, do not worry, it was before he's restoration of course and with its shape, it was perfect

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from F-2NIRO:

for now, I take care of all geometric shapes.
    the details will be done with the brush, too complicated to do everything with stencils and not too possible either

You have a lot more patience than I do, then. There's no way I'd even consider doing something like that, especially after painting over my reference LOL. Even with detailed scans, no way I'd trust myself. I suck at drawing freehand, too. Looking forward to seeing more.

#20 4 years ago

Lots of effort, but well worth it for this ultra-rare title. Can't wait to see the final result.

#21 4 years ago

I just read that other thread....this is absolute madness. Wow. O_O

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I just read that other thread....this is absolute madness. Wow. O_O

yes #frax he puts us all to shame

#23 4 years ago

Hi Franck,
    Looking forward for next steps! After talking to you yesterday, I know you’re almost done with this PF.
    So please, more pictures and explanations on that great job.
    I’m sure it will look gorgeous as usual

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

yes #frax he puts us all to shame

there are other people who do a lot of artistic work, I think of this member whose name I no longer have who customized a Frontier Bally.
    Hep also and many others

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from BallyCrazy:

Hi Franck,
    Looking forward for next steps! After talking to you yesterday, I know you’re almost done with this PF.
    So please, more pictures and explanations on that great job.
    I’m sure it will look gorgeous as usual

you misunderstood, I wish it was almost finished.
    I said it was more advanced than what I've shown so far.
    reporting on his work is not easy when you do not know the right technical terms in English.

#26 4 years ago

at such a missing level of detail, it's too risky to draw without benchmarks.
    we made a "calque", I do not know the term in English, to make benchmarks
    DSC02364_grande (resized).jpgDSC02364_grande (resized).jpg
    from there, no particular technique to explain, the pictures that follow show the progress of the work, everything being done with a brush.
    at first, there is the transfer of the pins to the pencil (type HB) and then they are painted with the same size brushes, 5/0 and 10/0DSC02299_grande (resized).jpgDSC02299_grande (resized).jpgDSC02328_grande (resized).jpgDSC02328_grande (resized).jpgDSC02327_grande (resized).jpgDSC02327_grande (resized).jpgDSC02326_grande (resized).jpgDSC02326_grande (resized).jpgthe larger areas are filled with flat brushes like the left side of the face, the mermaid's eye and the starry sky

#27 4 years ago

the followingDSC02332_grande (resized).jpgDSC02332_grande (resized).jpgDSC02331_grande (resized).jpgDSC02331_grande (resized).jpgDSC02330_grande (resized).jpgDSC02330_grande (resized).jpgDSC02346_grande (resized).jpgDSC02346_grande (resized).jpgDSC02345_grande (resized).jpgDSC02345_grande (resized).jpgDSC02344_grande (resized).jpgDSC02344_grande (resized).jpgDSC02351_grande (resized).jpgDSC02351_grande (resized).jpgDSC02350_grande (resized).jpgDSC02350_grande (resized).jpgDSC02349_grande (resized).jpgDSC02349_grande (resized).jpgto follow, the end of the first stage

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from F-2NIRO:

“ ...everything being done with a brush.
    at first, there is the transfer of the pins to the pencil (type HB) and then they are painted with the same size brushes, 5/0 and 10/0...”

Beautiful way to restore a playfield .. 5/0 and 10/0 are my go to brushes for playfield restoration.

#29 4 years ago

This is just incredible work.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from F-2NIRO:

we made a "calque", I do not know the term in English

'trace' is probably the closest.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

thanks for the technical termes, i think we can say " translucent paper" too ?
    it's finished for the first stage.
    i will put a coat to protect before continuing stage 2.space walkphase 1 (2) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (2) (resized).jpg

space walkphase 1 (3) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (3) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (4) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (4) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (1) (resized).jpgspace walkphase 1 (1) (resized).jpg
    the following ASAP

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quoted from F-2NIRO:

thanks for the technical termes, i think we can say " translucent paper" too ?

[FR ON] Salut Franck, Traduire le terme "calque" n'est effectivement pas facile, parce que chez nous, on l'utilise à la fois pour désigner, à la fois le matériau (papier transparent), la méthode et même le résultat. Bref, on utilise un raccourci "familier" et c'est même devenu tellement naturel que dans Photoshop, les "layers" sont aussi traduits par "calques" alors que ca devrait être "couches". Pour ton dessin, on devrait plutôt dire "une esquisse réalisée sur papier calque", ce qui se traduirait par "a sketch made on tracing paper". C'est vrai, je te l'accorde, on ne parle pas comme ça dans la vraie vie [FR OFF]

Hi Franck,

Translating the term "calque" is actually not easy, because in France, it is used both to designate, at the same time, the material (translucent paper), the method (to calk) and even the result (a sketch).
    In short, we use a familiar shortcut and it even became so natural that in Photoshop, the "layers" are also translated by "calques" while it should be "couches".
    For your drawing, we should rather say "une esquisse réalisée sur papier calque", which would result in "a sketch made on tracing paper".
    That's right, I grant you, we do not talk like that in real life

#33 4 years ago

Merci pour cette info

#34 4 years ago

Lol, thank you. I don't know enough French to properly explain that, and Google wasn't being very helpful. That was confusing for me too, that 'calque' seemed to mean a bunch of different things.

What's funny is "a sketch made on tracing paper" *is* perfectly serviceable English, even though it might sound ludicrous in translation.

1 week later
    #35 4 years ago

the next
    I noticed a drawing error when laying a stencil.
    it can happen when I have to redo everything on a playfield, I do too much thing at the same time
    as much to explain the correction, I make a reference with a positive stencil that will serve as a centeringspace walk (1).jpgspace walk (1).jpg
    then I can center the stencil perfectly.
    then I withdraw the positivespace walk (2).jpgspace walk (2).jpgo make the job easier, I cover a little with whitespace walk (3).jpgspace walk (3).jpg then, to paint in yellow is easy, otherwise I would have had trouble hiding the black linespace walk (4).jpgspace walk (4).jpg
    then, same method for redspace walk (5).jpgspace walk (5).jpgspace walk (6).jpgspace walk (6).jpg
    space walk (7).jpgspace walk (7).jpgit is done.
    I will do the black line when the next coat of varnish, there is risk of doing it

#36 4 years ago

here is how to proceed to align the stencils, I use the spinning around for alignment, with the photos is easy to understand
    space walk (9).jpgspace walk (9).jpgspace walk (10).jpgspace walk (10).jpg

I pass the airbrush and here is the resultspace walk (11).jpgspace walk (11).jpgspace walk (14).jpgspace walk (14).jpg
    we can see a green spot (it's mastic) on the "B" of "BONUS" on the right, a hole that I thought useful attracted me the attention when stencil, it was time to see
    there it drooled because I paint on the paint directly, I did not have much choice, I suspected a little but it will be easy to correct after the next opening.space walk (13).jpgspace walk (13).jpg

space walk (12).jpgspace walk (12).jpg
    #37 4 years ago

and I finish today with red, always the same method.
    stencils are laid and everything is protected with recycled paper
    space walk (15).jpgspace walk (15).jpgspace walk (16).jpgspace walk (16).jpgspace walk (17).jpgspace walk (17).jpg
    a little red paintspace walk (18).jpgspace walk (18).jpg
    before removing the paper cover, I remove the interiors of the numbers and letters this to avoid dirtying the PF with sweat.
    at this stage, we can not clean anymore, we must take great care, especially since we have a very hot summer, we had temperatures above 40 ° C and today still 32 ° Cspace walk (19).jpgspace walk (19).jpgspace walk (20).jpgspace walk (20).jpg
    space walk (21).jpgspace walk (21).jpgthen I remove all the cachesspace walk (22).jpgspace walk (22).jpg
    I also pass the adhesive on the stencil to remove a maximum of paint that does not fit on the vinyl stencil, there may be paint flake that may dirty the PFspace walk (23).jpgspace walk (23).jpg
    and finally, I remove the stencilsspace walk (26).jpgspace walk (26).jpgspace walk (25).jpgspace walk (25).jpgspace walk (24).jpgspace walk (24).jpg
    I filmed these long hours of work and put an X20 speed ratio to get a glimpse of the work in a short video of about 10 minutes, it's pretty funny to watch

#38 4 years ago

Wow... great work!

#39 4 years ago

PantherCityPins you ready to do this with your Flipper Parade pf?

Amazing work @f-2niro, it looks like you are almost finished?

#40 4 years ago

I would say that I am 85% of the adventure,

#41 4 years ago

Wow! Incroyable.

1 week later
    #42 4 years ago

hi all, the next.
    too used to working on the count down, I noticed a mistake, I almost reproduce the drawing of the count down on this PF at the red boxes "100 or 1000 W / L" next to the ball exit right and left.
    as I put a blue is already donelayer of white, it was necessary to redo the blue and the black.SW (1).jpgSW (1).jpg
    as the tray was varnished, no risk of leakage of black paint, I cut a stencil directly on the PF and I hide to protect.
    no need to cover a big surface, I paint a small surface with an airbrush with very little pressureSW (2).jpgSW (2).jpg
    it's done, i can continuSW (3).jpgSW (3).jpgSW (4).jpgSW (4).jpg.
    these double strapping inserts are quite difficult to make.
    I use the positive guide for centering but it is necessary to make a double stencil cutting because as it is quite fine, remove the positive and keep the negative to place it on it is not without risk of deformation on the vinyl transfer.
    so I throw a positive and a negative to keep a different of each for a perfect job.
    I put the centering positiveSW (5).jpgSW (5).jpg
    and here is the negative of the second stencilSW (6).jpgSW (6).jpg
    once laid, still have to remove the two positivesSW (8).jpgSW (8).jpg

#43 4 years ago

the stencil of this strapping is very difficult because of its large diameter and the delicacy of the edging.
    pen markers make laying much easier.SW (9).jpgSW (9).jpg
    another example of a centering templateSW (13).jpgSW (13).jpg
    the most sensitive stencil of the PF, really very difficult this oneSW (10).jpgSW (10).jpgSW (11).jpgSW (11).jpg
    I remove the positive once the complete stencil is stuck on the PF, otherwise it's too fragile
    SW (12).jpgSW (12).jpg
    I will do in two part the other inscriptions because there is a lot of promiscuity with other stencilsSW (14).jpgSW (14).jpgSW (15).jpgSW (15).jpgSW (16).jpgSW (16).jpg
    soon with the nextSW (17).jpgSW (17).jpg

#44 4 years ago

Amazing work.

#45 4 years ago

I feel inadequate just reading this post. Truly a pinball Mona Lisa

#46 4 years ago

second step of the black contours, here are some detailsDSC02497_grande.jpgDSC02497_grande.jpgDSC02498_grande.jpgDSC02498_grande.jpgDSC02499_grande.jpgDSC02499_grande.jpgDSC02500_grande.jpgDSC02500_grande.jpg
    the half circles with the 4 small inserts to do one time, otherwise it would have been necessary to wait for the next layer of varnish to avoid the leaks of paintings, it is not systematic but if it had to happen and it is necessary to start all the work of this pink area with its diabolical lines
    stencils installation is nearly completeDSC02496_grande.jpgDSC02496_grande.jpg
    DSC02501_grande.jpgDSC02501_grande.jpgDSC02503_grande.jpgDSC02503_grande.jpg
    the big GTB logo easier to do than the little one in the pink zone.
    this one I prefer to do in the next step, it is too close to the linesDSC02504_grande.jpgDSC02504_grande.jpg

some insights when removing stencilsDSC02506_grande.jpgDSC02506_grande.jpgDSC02507_grande.jpgDSC02507_grande.jpg
    it's over soon, I'm going to varnish all this and finalize, there are lots of little details to finish, like the face of the pin up, a lack of pink
    above the right star rollover and other details not visible from afar, and of course, the back
    DSC02512_grande.jpgDSC02512_grande.jpg

#47 4 years ago

Chapeau! I love your work.

1 month later
    #48 4 years ago

the return and the end of this "resto"
    sorry for delay,so busy with the end of the year, three pinball show in fourty five days.

here is a photo album of the playfield finally finished.
    place to photos
    the appearance is satin / matte.
    it is obtained from gloss varnish and then sanded to 1000 water paper.
    a light buffing by hand to remove micro scratches that are seen only in the dark.
    it's the best technique I've found, if the playfield is sanded with finer paper, the appearance will come back brilliant.
    the ultimate solution is to use matte varnish but it is very difficult to find in small packaging is really very expensive.
    go for photos, if you have questions ...
    space walk (3).jpgspace walk (3).jpg
    space walk (1).jpgspace walk (1).jpgspace walk (11).jpgspace walk (11).jpgspace walk (4).jpgspace walk (4).jpgspace walk (10).jpgspace walk (10).jpgspace walk (2).jpgspace walk (2).jpgspace walk (5).jpgspace walk (5).jpgspace walk (6).jpgspace walk (6).jpgspace walk (7).jpgspace walk (7).jpgspace walk (8).jpgspace walk (8).jpgspace walk (9).jpgspace walk (9).jpgspace walk (13).jpgspace walk (13).jpgspace walk (12).jpgspace walk (12).jpg
    The Movie

Thanks for reading

#49 4 years ago

Very, very nice! thank you for sharing!

#50 4 years ago

Is your secret to work barefoot?

great and beautiful work

I assume you have the rest of the game,
    head/body/BG and mechs,
    to finish the restore.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescue-space-walk-playfield?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.