Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinmike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey all. So I've been posting a lot about this particular game, but I've gotten the solenoids working, and the game is no longer popping fuses. So lots of progress. The final hurdle is the optical switches. None are working. I've done some inspecting of the two optical boards under the playfield. One of the LED's mounted to the board is dimly lit. Otherwise nothing. Looking for possible tests points to try on the boards themselves. Any guidance would be awesome!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from RebootMac:

One of the LED's mounted to the board is dimly lit. Otherwise nothing. Looking for possible tests points to try on the boards themselves

Have you tried reseating the connectors on both of those opto boards

#3 4 years ago

Yes unfortunately, no joy.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from RebootMac:

Yes unfortunately, no joy.

Ok do any of your other games have an opto board you can swap to test

#5 4 years ago

Alright, i swapped the optical boards into my sf2. They work fine. Tried the resistor board as well. Both are good. All control lamps works, and all non optical switches work.

#6 4 years ago

The questionable boards work when placed in SF2;
Or SF2’s good boards (do or don’t) work in Rescue 911?to board?

#7 4 years ago

Havent placed sf2's boards in rescue. But Ill grab them and see. Does the diode board have any impact on the opticals? I think they just run the practical switches.

#8 4 years ago

alright, pulled the opticals from SF2 and tried them in Rescue 911. No luck. Gonna go back and check all my input voltages and see if there are any voltages off.

#9 4 years ago

alright, so another update. After looking over the optical board, I went back to check voltages coming in on the optical board. Lucky for me Gottlieb has all its 5v playfield voltages on one line color. Blue/grey/grey. Found it coming in on pin 6. I'd checked it before. Always seemed in tolerance. But this time I let the game sit in attract and held the probe for a minute or two. I realized the voltage was fluctuating like a strobe, between 3v and 7. All over the place with the lights. Realized that some of the 3 or 4 panel under playfield lights have the same line running through. All pulsing. I backtracked to a solid 5v down in the cabinet body, (heading to the door) and ran a new line up to just the opticals. Works like a charm. There is a lot of hacked wiring in this thing already, so somewhere along the line someone must have crossed a 5v and strobe line. Could possibly be a bad socket too maybe? Don't know, thought I'd post this for posterity however.

3 weeks later
#10 4 years ago

How many opto switches are there in this game? Besides the 2 for the heli. I'm having trouble with the heli not wanting to go home. Installed new opto and still no luck. Where is the opto board? Also when I go to test the optos the game just flips through all of them and wont let me stop on a single one and test. Thanks

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Gcoco35:

How many opto switches are there in this game? Besides the 2 for the heli. I'm having trouble with the heli not wanting to go home. Installed new opto and still no luck. Where is the opto board? Also when I go to test the optos the game just flips through all of them and wont let me stop on a single one and test. Thanks

Have tried doing a factory reset in the test menus?The opto board is located under the playfield

#12 4 years ago

Where is this board located under the field? I didnt know I could reset it, but its worth a try.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Gcoco35:

Where is this board located under the field? I didnt know I could reset it, but its worth a try.

The opto board should be near the upper playfield(middle)when you have the playfield lifted up.Power off the game and when you locate the opto board reset the connector on that opto board.Yes doing a factory reset is a start,Just starting with the easy steps first to narrow it down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rescue-911-no-optical-switches-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.